Subject: Movement/Initiative/battle question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
aaron Haycraft

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about this scenario for a couple days now. When it happened during the game, we all just rolled with it, but looking back it seems a tad too powerful for us not to have flubbed somewhat. My terminology sucks, BTW, and I don;t have the rule book in front of me. Here goes.

player A has the scarab (+2 move) and initiative. Here's what happened.

1) player A moves, paying 2 prayer to teleport.
2) player A uses one movement to enter a temple where player B has a single soldier.
3) initiative kills player B's soldier before battle, so combat never happens.
4) Player A drops off one soldier to claim that city/temple/whatever, then uses the remaining 2 movement to advance to another temple and attack Player B again.
5) initiative happens again, killing 2 of Player B's soldiers, and the rest of the battle happens like normal.

This happened in out last game, and like I said, we all went with it, but that move seems really powerful. Keep in mind, the wall rules never happened because none of this passed into player B's starting city.

Was this a valid move and turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought all movement ended as soon as you moved into an area containing an enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems valid, just remember though, no VPs are awarded in the first "temple" since there was no actualy combat. Here's another thread that talked about the initiative tile: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/873302/initiative-power-tile...

Seems like Gordon is correct. According to the rules: "Whenever you move, if you pass through or reach a space occupied by an opponent's troop, a battle must be resolved and the movement ends." - page 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron Haycraft

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We know movement ends if you move to space occupied by an enemy, but Initiative killed Player's B soldiers before Player A ever got to the space, so battle never technically happened. That is why player A kept going after dropping a soldier off as he went.

Does the fact that Initiative happened stop player A's movement? I know that if Initiative kills off enemy soldiers before a battle, no VP's are awarded for winning the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
enigmahfc wrote:
We know movement ends if you move to space occupied by an enemy, but Initiative killed Player's B soldiers before Player A ever got to the space, so battle never technically happened.

I would say that the space was occupied when you moved into it, thus triggering end of movt, despite the fact that the 'Initiative' ability removed the enemy unit prior to the battle.

However that is just how we have played it and it could do with an official confirmation. Although the thread cited above does pose the same question, along with a few others, the Matagot guy did not specifically answer this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron Haycraft

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's what I noticed too. Hopefully we can get some kind of official say on this.Just seems a bit too powerful as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ramirez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enigmahfc wrote:
...but Initiative killed Player's B soldiers before Player A ever got to the space, so battle never technically happened.

How do you figure? Initiative only triggers if a battle world occur (i.e. two players are sharing the same space). You're right, battle never happened, but the figures shared a space (only way Initiative would trigger), therefore movement is ended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.