Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
97 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: GOP Benghazi Panel finds no wrongdoing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The House Intelligence Committee, led by Republicans, has concluded that there was no deliberate wrongdoing by the Obama administration in the 2012 attack on the U.S Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans, said Rep. Mike Thompson of St. Helena, the second-ranking Democrat on the committee.


It will be interesting to see it when it is declassified.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why the Republicans wanted the special committee, and the super special extra cool committee, and the secret extra awesome chocolate with sprinkles committee. IF you investigate enough someone will find wrong doing, just to mix things up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So Darrell Issa will claim that this clearly calls for another investigation
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to think if the GOP actually found anything we'd be hearing about it a LOT MORE LOUDLY.
14 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
The fact that a it was preemptively leaked by a dem, in which he admits the major accusations were indeed true

What do you consider the major accusations?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
lfisher wrote:
I'd have to think if the GOP actually found anything we'd be hearing about it a LOT MORE LOUDLY.


We'll see. The fact that a it was preemptively leaked by a dem, in which he admits the major accusations were indeed true and tries to dress it up as exoneration is somewhat perplexing.


It isn't really surprising a Dem leaked it. The Reps won't trumpet a finding of no fault. It'd get buried and ignored. This is the Dem way of saying 'See all this time and money we wasted on this?'
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:

1 - I know you all hate Republicans so you don't think any of us are reasonable.


Not at all true. But look at the post above yours to see why people might be a bit touchy about the response.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Well for me, the issue was a lack of an investigation. Now that one has been conducted I am happy. (I suspect this is how most reasonable Republicans feel).*1

I never thought there was a deliberate attempt to hide anything, but I have always believed there was some incompetence involved and whoever is responsible should be punished accordingly. Whether that person is Obama, Hillary, some top manager or some peon middle manager. But (The attempt) to just sweeping the whole thing under the rug was bullshit.

1 - I know you all hate Republicans so you don't think any of us are reasonable.


I think a lot of actual conservative folks who simply identify as Republican because that party best suited their beliefs are good people. I think the political actors in the party have become a parody of what it once stood for, leaving a lot of folks to drift(myself) and others to cling onto the ride and hope for the best.

I've always felt someone made a call that was wrong, but not a bad call per-se. Something easy to Monday morning quarterback but reasonable when viewed at the time. I don't think it's necessarily the kind of thing you punish someone harshly for, because that just sets the standard of 'Don't make tough calls or you might be thrown to the wolves if you're wrong.' Which is not a decision making culture I'd like to promote.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The way dems report this, "Obama exonerated, report finds he did not personally shoot anybody."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linoleum blownaparte
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Darrel Issa is an arsonist. For reals. Look it up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And a car thief.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Forget about 1 2 3 and 4, he lead with a statement about no intentional wrong doing. That was not the issue. Gross incompetence in response to the affair was the issue.


Seriously? My recollection is that a lot of people were claiming to be pissed about the lying to cover up the incompetence more than the incompetence. If I were to provide you with links to expressions of that position, would it change your mind?

Here was my process to check whether I was right: I thought of a single guy who seemed like the most prominent semi-reasonable conservative pundit: Krauthammer. I Googled "Krauthammer Benghazi lie". Yup. First hit. I'll be really impressed if he responds to the report with an acknowledgement that he was wrong and an apology.
9 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Odd that the Dem is preemptively speaking. We'll see if he is trying to blunt the blow, or frame the results.

So after the Republicans' umpteenth failed attempt at trying to turn Benghazi into a scandal, it's "the Dem" who is speaking preemptively and trying to frame results.

Koldfoot wrote:
The second claim in the headline is that "no wrong doing" was found. Incorrect. According to the Dem handling the public relations who is the source for this story, "No intentional wrong doing" is what was found.

Which is all that matters. We all know that "wrong doing" happened. American embassy staff died in Benghazi. But big surprise to conservatives, Obama is not Satan; he's not pulling the strings behind every evil committed in the world.
8 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldie is right in one respect, this thread is misleading, about as misleading as the GOP have been over Benghazi.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
rinelk wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Forget about 1 2 3 and 4, he lead with a statement about no intentional wrong doing. That was not the issue. Gross incompetence in response to the affair was the issue.


Seriously? My recollection is that a lot of people were claiming to be pissed about the lying to cover up the incompetence more than the incompetence. If I were to provide you with links to expressions of that position, would it change your mind?

Here was my process to check whether I was right: I thought of a single guy who seemed like the most prominent semi-reasonable conservative pundit: Krauthammer. I Googled "Krauthammer Benghazi lie". Yup. First hit. I'll be really impressed if he responds to the report with an acknowledgement that he was wrong and an apology.


What?

Is that a spin of some sort?

A democrat comes out with "yep. You were right about everything. So what? The president did nothing intentionally wrong."

That is preemptive damage control.

As you acknowledge, the charge was incompetence and a cover up. This statement is trying to reframe the debate into "personally did nothing illegal."

AND


The administration's process for developing "talking points" was "flawed, but the talking points reflected the conflicting intelligence assessments in the days immediately following the crisis."


Dude. That's coming from a fellow democrat! That is not a strong statement of innocence, or a statement of competence, That's political speak for "caught lying but we have enough cover to obfuscate the issue in court."


Okay, "lie" is a really important word for the position you're taking in this thread, so you should be sure you know what it means. Specifically, you should know that a lie is necessarily intentional wrongdoing. Here's an example: when you say that the author is claiming that the administration was caught lying, that is itself a lie. Here's another one: I didn't acknowledge that the accusation was incompetence and a cover-up. I didn't say that at all. What I said was that the complaint was more about the lying about incompetence than the incompetence. A cover-up can involve telling truths which misdirect, or telling falsehoods which one believes, or even representing greater confidence than one has, none of which are quite lies. That's why it's important that the accusation really was "lie", not just cover-up.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
rinelk wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Forget about 1 2 3 and 4, he lead with a statement about no intentional wrong doing. That was not the issue. Gross incompetence in response to the affair was the issue.


Seriously? My recollection is that a lot of people were claiming to be pissed about the lying to cover up the incompetence more than the incompetence. If I were to provide you with links to expressions of that position, would it change your mind?

Here was my process to check whether I was right: I thought of a single guy who seemed like the most prominent semi-reasonable conservative pundit: Krauthammer. I Googled "Krauthammer Benghazi lie". Yup. First hit. I'll be really impressed if he responds to the report with an acknowledgement that he was wrong and an apology.


What?

Is that a spin of some sort?

A democrat comes out with "yep. You were right about everything. So what? The president did nothing intentionally wrong."

That is preemptive damage control.

As you acknowledge, the charge was incompetence and a cover up. This statement is trying to reframe the debate into "personally did nothing illegal."

AND


The administration's process for developing "talking points" was "flawed, but the talking points reflected the conflicting intelligence assessments in the days immediately following the crisis."


Dude. That's coming from a fellow democrat! That is not a strong statement of innocence, or a statement of competence, That's political speak for "caught lying but we have enough cover to obfuscate the issue in court."


Okay, "lie" is a really important word for the position you're taking in this thread, so you should be sure you know what it means. Specifically, you should know that a lie is necessarily intentional wrongdoing. Here's an example: when you say that the author is claiming that the administration was caught lying, that is itself a lie. Here's another one: I didn't acknowledge that the accusation was incompetence and a cover-up. I didn't say that at all. What I said was that the complaint was more about the lying about incompetence than the incompetence. A cover-up can involve telling truths which misdirect, or telling falsehoods which one believes, or even representing greater confidence than one has, none of which are quite lies. That's why it's important that the accusation really was "lie", not just cover-up.


The administration marching susan rice out and obama saying, and clinton saying, that this was all started because of a youtube video, that is a lie.
Obama saying if you like your plan you can keep your plan, you like your doctor youc an keep your doctor, that is a lie because at that time he KNEW that was not true.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldie is really worked up about this one for some reason.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Koldie is really worked up about this one for some reason.

He's been conditioned like a Pavlovian dog to act all censorious, mistrusting and sceptical whenever Benghazi is mentioned.

Works the same way with "Global Warming".

Or when someone like me says he dislikes Hamas.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Koldie is really worked up about this one for some reason.

He's been conditioned like a Pavlovian dog to act all censorious, mistrusting and sceptical whenever Benghazi is mentioned.

Works the same way with "Global Warming".

Or when someone like me says he dislikes Hamas.


It kills me that you guys can read the whole statement FROM AN OBAMA FRIENDLY SOURCE which admits the original speculation by the opposition was true, then tries to reframe the issue from an issue of incompetence to an issue of intent, as an exoneration.


Because that was the issue all along.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Koldie is really worked up about this one for some reason.

He's been conditioned like a Pavlovian dog to act all censorious, mistrusting and sceptical whenever Benghazi is mentioned.

Works the same way with "Global Warming".

Or when someone like me says he dislikes Hamas.


It kills me that you guys can read the whole statement FROM AN OBAMA FRIENDLY SOURCE which admits the original speculation by the opposition was true, then tries to reframe the issue from an issue of incompetence to an issue of intent, as an exoneration.


Because that was the issue all along.


No, no it wasnt.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
It kills me that you guys can read the whole statement FROM AN OBAMA FRIENDLY SOURCE which admits the original speculation by the opposition was true, then tries to reframe the issue from an issue of incompetence to an issue of intent, as an exoneration.

I didn't even read the source, I'm just ENTERTAINED by the endless HANDWAVING and political THEATRE surrounding Benghazi.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
lfisher wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Koldie is really worked up about this one for some reason.

He's been conditioned like a Pavlovian dog to act all censorious, mistrusting and sceptical whenever Benghazi is mentioned.

Works the same way with "Global Warming".

Or when someone like me says he dislikes Hamas.


It kills me that you guys can read the whole statement FROM AN OBAMA FRIENDLY SOURCE which admits the original speculation by the opposition was true, then tries to reframe the issue from an issue of incompetence to an issue of intent, as an exoneration.


Because that was the issue all along.


No, no it wasnt.


It was an issue of whatever we decide it was an issue of at any given moment so that we can continue to make it an issue and have you voted for us yet please? -GOP
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
lfisher wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Koldie is really worked up about this one for some reason.

He's been conditioned like a Pavlovian dog to act all censorious, mistrusting and sceptical whenever Benghazi is mentioned.

Works the same way with "Global Warming".

Or when someone like me says he dislikes Hamas.


It kills me that you guys can read the whole statement FROM AN OBAMA FRIENDLY SOURCE which admits the original speculation by the opposition was true, then tries to reframe the issue from an issue of incompetence to an issue of intent, as an exoneration.


Because that was the issue all along.


No, no it wasnt.


It was an issue of whatever we decide it was an issue of at any given moment so that we can continue to make it an issue and have you voted for us yet please? -GOP


The Issue was leaving them to die. They knew the attack was happening, and the military was not allowed to go in and help them. The fighting went on for hours and in the end they died. Then the administration comes out and lies about the cause. Their story was directly contradicted by the intelligence community who said that they NEVER SAID it was because of a youtube video.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
lfisher wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Koldie is really worked up about this one for some reason.

He's been conditioned like a Pavlovian dog to act all censorious, mistrusting and sceptical whenever Benghazi is mentioned.

Works the same way with "Global Warming".

Or when someone like me says he dislikes Hamas.


It kills me that you guys can read the whole statement FROM AN OBAMA FRIENDLY SOURCE which admits the original speculation by the opposition was true, then tries to reframe the issue from an issue of incompetence to an issue of intent, as an exoneration.


Because that was the issue all along.


No, no it wasnt.


It was an issue of whatever we decide it was an issue of at any given moment so that we can continue to make it an issue and have you voted for us yet please? -GOP


The Issue was leaving them to die. They knew the attack was happening, and the military was not allowed to go in and help them. The fighting went on for hours and in the end they died. Then the administration comes out and lies about the cause. Their story was directly contradicted by the intelligence community who said that they NEVER SAID it was because of a youtube video.


"There was no 'stand-down order' given to American personnel attempting to offer assistance that evening, no illegal activity or illegal arms transfers occurring by U.S. personnel in Benghazi, and no American was left behind."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
lfisher wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Koldie is really worked up about this one for some reason.

He's been conditioned like a Pavlovian dog to act all censorious, mistrusting and sceptical whenever Benghazi is mentioned.

Works the same way with "Global Warming".

Or when someone like me says he dislikes Hamas.


It kills me that you guys can read the whole statement FROM AN OBAMA FRIENDLY SOURCE which admits the original speculation by the opposition was true, then tries to reframe the issue from an issue of incompetence to an issue of intent, as an exoneration.


Because that was the issue all along.


No, no it wasnt.


It was an issue of whatever we decide it was an issue of at any given moment so that we can continue to make it an issue and have you voted for us yet please? -GOP


The Issue was leaving them to die. They knew the attack was happening, and the military was not allowed to go in and help them. The fighting went on for hours and in the end they died. Then the administration comes out and lies about the cause. Their story was directly contradicted by the intelligence community who said that they NEVER SAID it was because of a youtube video.


"There was no 'stand-down order' given to American personnel attempting to offer assistance that evening, no illegal activity or illegal arms transfers occurring by U.S. personnel in Benghazi, and no American was left behind."


Tell that to the 4 dead americans........
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.