Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played this game before, and I am getting ready to play this with someone who has also never played it. I want to see if I have good understanding of the rules. So if anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

1) Once the board is set up and we both have our cards, the turn goes like this, correct?: Pick a card to play as a headline event. Resolve events. Then USSR player plays and then go back and fourth until all necessary actions are played in the round. Clean up turn and do military ops point. Lather, rinse, repeat.

2) When using a card for it's Ops points, the events still occur if the card benefits your opponent, right? So if America plays FIDEL for ops points, Russia still gets to do it's event in Russia. Am I understanding this correctly? The only exception is your once per turn space race play?

3) If you play a card for Ops points and do a Coup attempt, do you just get one attempt or do you get one attempt per Ops point?

4) When placing influence, you have to move to adjacent countries, right? You can't just spontaneously put down influence in the middle of nowhere, even if you pay 2 for your first point of influence.

Thanks in advanced for everyone's time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Only one coup attempt. The value of the coup attempt is the Op's value of the card. Coups in battle grounds degrade DEFCON.

4) Correct. Except you can always place influence adjacent to your home country (example: Mexico adjacent to US. Afghanistan adjacent to Soviet Union). Also, quite a few events allow placement of influence which are not limited to adjacency rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:
I've never played this game before, and I am getting ready to play this with someone who has also never played it. I want to see if I have good understanding of the rules. So if anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

1) Once the board is set up and we both have our cards, the turn goes like this, correct?: Pick a card to play as a headline event. Resolve events. Then USSR player plays and then go back and fourth until all necessary actions are played in the round. Clean up turn and do military ops point. Lather, rinse, repeat.

2) When using a card for it's Ops points, the events still occur if the card benefits your opponent, right? So if America plays FIDEL for ops points, Russia still gets to do it's event in Russia. Am I understanding this correctly? The only exception is your once per turn space race play?

3) If you play a card for Ops points and do a Coup attempt, do you just get one attempt or do you get one attempt per Ops point?

4) When placing influence, you have to move to adjacent countries, right? You can't just spontaneously put down influence in the middle of nowhere, even if you pay 2 for your first point of influence.

Thanks in advanced for everyone's time.

1. yes. it can be tricky if you don't track action rounds, though. usually you'll end up holding cards but not always. use the action round tracker for best results

2. yes, but only if it's the opponent's event. NOT if it's a split event that might benefit him.

3. one coup attempt per card play

4. adjacent to where you currently have influence, yes. card effects and coups don't care about adjacency, but placing influence directly from OP does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You only play 6 cards in the first 3 rounds and 7 cards in the other rounds. Which results in you having 1 card left normally.

2) The event only happens when it is specifically one of the opposing faction, neutral events do not trigger. Scoring cards can't be played for OPs

3) Unlike realign rolls you get only 1 coup attempt.

4) You need to have to have a connection to an area where you place influence, unless a card specifically mentions an area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Wachsmuth
msg tools
mb
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:

Correct. There are some further details (Defcon rises at the start of a turn, and you check for held scoring card before military ops). But the gist is certainly correct.

Quote:

Generally correct, though there are more exceptions that space race play. Some events have a prerequisite for being played. Solidarity cannot be played before John Paul II Elected Pope has been played as an event. Until then, the event cannot occur, and the USSR would simply get to use ops. Some events can be disabled by later events, such as Arab-Israeli War, which can be disabled by Camp David Accords. After that, they cannot occur. Some events have a general prerequisite, and if that is not met, they do not occur either (this is for example Our Man in Tehran, which does not trigger if the US does not control a country in the Middle East). And finally UN Intervention can be played along with an opponent-aligned card to use the ops without activating the event.

Quote:

Just one attempt.

Quote:

Correct. You can only place influence in countries provided that either 1. you already have influence in, 2. you have influence in a country adjacent to it or 3. the target country is adjacent to your superpower. Note that this only applies to placing influence from ops points. Placing influence from events and starting influence in Europe at the start of the game do not follow these rules.

The pay 2 ops for 1 point of influence is only followed when you're placing influence in a country controlled by your opponent.

Edit: So much for typing up a comprehensive answer... I got ninja'd hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wachsmuth wrote:

The pay 2 ops for 1 point of influence is only followed when you're placing influence in a country controlled by your opponent.

Precision : the 2 ops for 1 influence point rule does not apply to events that specifically allow to place influence.

That is the MOST frequently asked question by new players.

Ex
Decolonization wrote:

Add one USSR Influence in each of any four African and/or Southeast Asian countries.

When playing this event, USSR is allowed to place one influence in Thailand (and 3 others somewhere else) even if US already controls it with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For #4, keep in mind that the adjacency must exist at the beginning of the Action Round. See 6.1.3 in the Living Rules.

http://www.gmtgames.com/nnts/TSRules-2009.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Blink
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afafard wrote:
Wachsmuth wrote:

Precision : the 2 ops for 1 influence point rule does not apply to events that specifically allow to place influence.

That is the MOST frequently asked question by new players.

Ex
Decolonization wrote:

Add one USSR Influence in each of any four African and/or Southeast Asian countries.

When playing this event, USSR is allowed to place one influence in Thailand (and 3 others somewhere else) even if US already controls it with 2.

I thought "Holding A Scoring Card" was the most FAQ devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.