Hide
8 Posts

Defenders of the Realm» Forums » Variants

Subject: House Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bill braskey
msg tools
Wanted to get some thoughts on a few house rules that I use.

1. Rumors at the Inn: The normal action is not allowed. Each evening an additional Hero card is added to a Rumors at the Inn card pool to an upper limit of 11 cards. Hero Action: If a hero ends their turn at an Inn they may divide the Hero cards in the card pool into two stacks, they then call out a card color and keep the matching color cards along with any purple cards and discard the rest. (Using the Rumors at the Inn action is more helpful but would not be overused due to having to wait for the card pool to grow to useful amount)

2. Magic Gates that are added during the game will protect the location from future minions unless there is a General present, they cannot be built if any minions are present or the location is tainted. (Magic gates play a more meaningfull role)

3. If a General is not defeated in battle, a matching minion is added to the General's character card on the highest number of the wound track. As the general heals the status token will only advance back to one less strength. If the minion supply is exhausted later in the game it would be removed from the generals card. (Heroes are more likely to enter into battle versus Generals)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Not sure of the point of this. What happens to the Rogue's special ability, for example.

2. Magic Gates are already useful, particularly in games where characters without special movement abilities are being played. I don't think they need additional power.

3. Don't understand the point of this either. Normally, players will either be forced to fight generals because they are close and threaten Monarch City or will attack tactically to take out a general earlier on. Why do you want go encourage more action against generals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill braskey
msg tools
Thanks for the feedback.

Here are my additional thoughts:

1. The Hero would have the ability to get more cards but it could not be over used. Rogue gets does not have to divide the card pool.

3. There is a huge swing between Defeating or losing to a general. Making the General a little weaker gives the Heroes a chance at surviving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. OK, I can see that could work but don't see the need for our style of play.

3. We've found, playing two player with one character each, a different need. As we've won more games than lost, I want to boost the generals rather than weaken them. I'm considering using shield tokens to give the generals more hits, if required.

Having said that, in our most recent game (last night) I thought we had a strong pair. Paladin (good movement) and Elf Lord (good combat). However, we were stomped quite quickly with two generals moving swiftly adjacent to Monarch and much tainting. Sapphire got close first and we never got enough blue cards to seriously threaten her.

I like the way the game is open to house ruling without changing the essentials and the way you can never take things for granted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill braskey
msg tools
I really enjoy the game, only have the base game, just pre-ordered everything else from eagle...that should boost the generals.
I find that the movement of the generals can be very random, some games they march towards Monarch very quickly others they miss the right card combos, very interested in seeing how the Red dragon movement changes the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Variant (1) sounds way overpowered to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill braskey
msg tools
I have found with original rules a hero would spend 2 actions to draw 4 cards and then be able to keep maybe 2 matching cards, which to me does not seem worth the effort. When Heroes get to their 10 card limit the extra cards would not make that much of difference.
With the variant at max 6 cards would be available but that would take at least 11 Hero turns for the card pool to grow to the max and that would keep Heroes from camping on or near the Inn locations.
I find the Inns most useful after losing a battle to a General and trying to get card count to useable amount.
It seems to work for me without being over powerful, then again I need all the help I can get.
Just wanted to share and see if others might find it worth their time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think it's too much.

As you only get to draw two cards each turn, the chance of an extra card or two from the Inn is well worth the effort if you have time and space to do it.

It's a gamble though as you will lose precious actions moving to the inn and listening for gossip.

I like the rule as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.