Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, I had my first death of the adventure path. I had some characters die when trying them out during Perils of the Lost Coast, but this is the first time I've lost somebody with multiple feats. It hurt.

I was playing the Underneath Sandpoint scenario in my solo campaign. In this campaign, I have 6 characters who I usually take out 3 at a time, but I have been experimenting with reducing the number to 2 for quicker games and added challenge. After a failed attempt at the scenario with Lini solo, I sent in Lini and Sajan to eliminate the Scribbler once and for all.

My first mistake was probably banishing one of Lini's Cure spells in order to close the Town Square. She'd been working with two of them in tandem, playing and recharging one, then using the other one to shuffle the first Cure higher into her deck. I banished the Cure near the start of the scenario, and it was controlled chaos after that as Lini worked on keeping herself afloat and Sajan did what he could with his twin Wands of Minor Healing.

They were both down to barely enough cards in their deck by the end of the scenario, but it was Sajan who died, and in the most dishonorable way--not by fighting the Scribbler, but by drawing a blessing at the Shrine to Lamashtu. I'd thought that I'd already encountered them all, but must have miscounted one of the times the Scribbler escaped. In his final card draw, he drew BOTH of his Wands of Minor Healing just before passing from this world. I almost lost Lini, too--when she defeated the Scribbler the last time, with 2 blessings on the timer, her deck was basically her hand size; she was basically relying on refreshing her entire hand each turn, and if she took even one point of damage, she was toast.

I'm close enough to the end of the AP that I don't think I'll replace Sajan, just keep on trucking with the remaining characters. As a nice consolation, I didn't pick up any spells in the scenario, so Lini got to replace her old Cure with a Major Cure from Adventure 3. Do you have any tragic tales of losing a well-developed character?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
Byron, I'm very sorry to hear that. Death is one of my favorite things about the game.

In my first group, I lost Sajan in Approach to Thistletop. So Merisiel and Ezren set up camp and mourned their loss. Then I started a second group of heroes who would meet up with Ezren and Merisiel to take on Thistletop Delve. They joined up and then I lost Kyra (from the second group) on Thistletop Delve. It was like a one two punch.

You need this: mb. I just gave you the to buy it. Welcome to the club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When things go bad, my heroes retreat!

Exploration is not mandatory!

Safety first!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Jones
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaiser wrote:
Byron, I'm very sorry to hear that. Death is one of my favorite things about the game.

In my first group, I lost Sajan in Approach to Thistletop. So Merisiel and Ezren set up camp and mourned their loss. Then I started a second group of heroes who would meet up with Ezren and Merisiel to take on Thistletop Delve. They joined up and then I lost Kyra (from the second group) on Thistletop Delve. It was like a one two punch.

You need this: mb. I just gave you the to buy it. Welcome to the club.

Oh man... after losing Sajan in Poison Pill quite unexpectedly last weekend, I'm yoinking that badge.

Even so early on, that emotional investment in a character is bitter, but ultimately one of my favorite features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We lost Lem to Squealy Nord, the pig

Yeah, tried to hit it with a Bolt, and things went south. Amiri avenged him by murderating any vaguely pig-like objects for the rest of the quest (she did 60+ damage to a wild boar, solely out of vengeance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Kyra at Thistletop - still miss her... Back in my D&D days (over 30 years ago now) I always played a cleric. Kyra was just getting better and better and had some good kit - chanced my arm on the very last turn to take out Naulia and failed.

Now running Seoni...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daybreak wrote:
We lost Lem to Squealy Nord, the pig

Yeah, tried to hit it with a Bolt, and things went south. Amiri avenged him by murderating any vaguely pig-like objects for the rest of the quest (she did 60+ damage to a wild boar, solely out of vengeance).

This is how you know you are playing a thematic game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost Valeros early on in a kind of stupid way...

A bell fell on him. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:
I lost Valeros early on in a kind of stupid way...

A bell fell on him. shake

This made me laugh very hard!!! Thanks.

Oh, I mean, I'm sorry for your loss. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Saturday, I lost Kyra in the Ancient Library (AP4S5), to Mokmurian himself.

She had battled her way solo through the adventure path so far, and with two locations closed, Mok on top of the Giant's Lair (it had to be there, didn't it) and what I thought was a decently healed deck and a good hand, I decided it was time to take him on.

She fluffed the fortitude check (2d6 + 3 < 8 angry) and had to bury four cards, then draw five, leaving only four in the deck. She then failed the first combat check with Impaler of Thorns (recharging a Blessing too), discarding it for a re-roll and scoring exactly the same (2d6 + d8 = 10, plus whatever the Melee/weapon bonus was, +7 I think). That wiped her hand (non-reducible damage; couldn't even recharge an armor that would have saved her life ) leaving her to throw a token d6 + 5 on the second check before drawing her last five cards and keeling over dead.

In a few weeks I plan to send a carouser to finish what she started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think this thread was bad luck. Last night I lost Merisiel. The trapped passageway fell on her. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost had a character die for the first time ever, during the first scenario of the final adventure. I wasn't keeping track of how many cards were left in the deck, and I came one card draw away from dying.

Sorry about your loss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.