Andrew Miller
Wales
Swansea
Neath Port Talbot
flag msg tools
badge
I iz a soot sprite.
mbmbmbmbmb
I mentioned to a friend that I played board games, and he asked if I could bring a game to his house to play with his wife and two daughters, aged 7 and 5. I was thinking of introducing them to Carcassonne. Would this be a good choice? Would it be better to play with simplified rules e.g. with no farmers, or maybe with no scoring at all (just play it as a puzzle game)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welshmilla wrote:
I mentioned to a friend that I played board games, and he asked if I could bring a game to his house to play with his wife and two daughters, aged 7 and 5. I was thinking of introducing them to Carcassonne. Would this be a good choice? Would it be better to play with simplified rules e.g. with no farmers, or maybe with no scoring at all (just play it as a puzzle game)?

Carcassonne works, although I think Incan Gold (Diamant) is a better choice if you've got it.

As for rules, here's my hack of Carcassonne for very young players: dare a tile. Play a tile. If you complete a city, road, or abbey/cloister, score one point per tile in the feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly...It really depends on the kid.

I would say bring it. Don't play with farmers at first then introduce them later. Also bring a back-up just incase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Move along nothing to see here. This is not the text you were looking for,
badge
I love scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly.
mbmbmbmbmb
No farmers is what we do when introduce people to Carcassonne. It makes the rules a touch easier to follow and to score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
Carcassonne looks like a good bet. Looking your collection over, you might consider Stone Age. I suspect a seven year old could handle it alright, might be a bit much for a five year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
A few weeks back we introduced our five-year-old niece to Carcassonne, sans farmers.

It worked really well. She's hooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Box
Mexico
Querétaro
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Saboteur? That seems to be quite easy for people to understand after one run through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
xobxela wrote:
How about Saboteur? That seems to be quite easy for people to understand after one run through.

I think the rules would be easy enough, but the actual play requires a degree of subtlety at least on the part of the Saboteurs', that I wouldn't expect from children so young.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For teaching kids, first play an intro round with just tiles, no meeples, to learn about tile placement and how to make a city or road big or small, and how to "finish" them.

Follow with a second round placing meeples as usual on cities and roads only. It is also a good idea to allow placing a meeple on an already occupied feature.

When the kids master these, consider adding the cloisters and introducing the unoccupied feature placement rules one at a time.

Add farmers last, after they understand how to sneak in on someone else's road or city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that young children (5-7) LOVE to make roads and castles with the tiles of Carcassone, but can be less excited about playing the game for points.

"Dad, you have to put that tile THERE because it matches perfectly."

"But that would complete your castle. Why would I put a tile in your castle?"

"Because it fits".

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have found that young children (5-7) LOVE to make roads and castles with the tiles of Carcassone, but can be less excited about playing the game for points.

"Dad, you have to put that tile THERE because it matches perfectly."

"But that would complete your castle. Why would I put a tile in your castle?"

"Because it fits".

Perhaps they could play a simple version... you just get the points for finishing any feature (regardless of whose), and then you put your meeple on it to mark that you own it when it's done? The catch being you probably complete more than 7 features in a game, unless you're playing 5P/6P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.