United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
Carrauntoohil
badge
Mt Whitney
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my foam core insert for Washington's War to make it easier for sleeved card storage and to allow for play right out of the box.

Everything fits perfectly into the box and keeps the contents in place during box rotation provided the box top is held on with a rubber band.

Bottom of the box with the manuals and game board removed to show the layout of the trays fit into the box.

With the trays removed the cards can be easily accessed.

Each player can take a tray for their army.

A final tray to hold the PC markers, dice and the other counters.

I've uploaded a file with measurements based on what I built. Box Insert Plans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Birner
Germany
Bayreuth
flag msg tools
He's no good to me dead!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!
Good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Piefer
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to the above! You could post some plans in the file section, so that us less crafty folks can give this a try.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the individual trays held together with staples?

Did you use glue as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCarty
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
Carrauntoohil
badge
Mt Whitney
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything is glued. The staples help hold things in place while drying. Once the glue dries the staples don't serve much purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you make a set for me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC Principal
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
TRIGGERED!
badge
SOCAIL JUSTIEC!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!

Where are those custom dice from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! Might work for a few other GMT games since most are the same box sizes. Details about how you did this would be great...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCarty
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
Carrauntoohil
badge
Mt Whitney
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the dice for this and Twilight Struggle at the Dice Shop Online.

http://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice/2114/WWII-Britain-Logo...

http://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice/6200/Chessex-Opaque-Ye...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCarty
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
Carrauntoohil
badge
Mt Whitney
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go: Box Insert Plans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Michael. A few questions from someone with very little creative skills....

You wrote:
Foam core is 5mm thick
Foam core is glued together using a thick card stock for the base

Where did you get your foam core from? Does it come in one sheet? If so, did you cut the strips from that sheet for the sides (or perhaps you bought two sheets)? Also, how high are the side pieces that you glued in? This could be important when fitting the map and such back into the box.

I am not sure what you mean by the 2nd part. Did you cut out card stock strips to match the lengths of the sides? Then, did you glue the card stock strips to the bottom of each side? Then, did you glue the sides to the base by gluing the underside of each cardstock strip? I think that's what you mean, but just wanted to make sure.

Finally, at what point did you staple things, and for what purpose? What kind of staple/stapler did you use?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCarty
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
Carrauntoohil
badge
Mt Whitney
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a rough draft of my process in making the foam core inserts.

The height of the wall pieces for Washington’s War is 7/8”.

The foam core boards I've been using are cut from Elmer's 36x48 Foam Tri-Fold Display Board. These come in several colors, I usually get black ones. I use Elmer’s white glue.

When I first started making inserts I was cutting the strips with an Xacto and #11 blades. I’ve found that the band saw makes quick work of cutting long strips in the height I need. I still use the Xacto for all the other cuts.

When I set out to make an insert I start out by taking the empty box and place all the manuals then the game board back into the box. I take a measurement from the top of the stack to the lip of the box. Measure opposite sides just in case the manual folds make it thicker. Take the smaller number of both measurements and write that down. Washington’s War only needed a single layer of trays, unlike Caverna and Keyflower.

I start with a basic idea of what I want to accomplish. For WW I wanted to neatly store the cards and have trays that hold the 3 basic types of pieces, common, British & American/French. When making card trays you always have to keep in mind how the cards will be removed and to not make them too snug. In some cases there would be a finger slot to grab cards, but for this project I felt I could use the removable trays to hold the cards. When the trays would be removed then the cards would be easy to remove and I could make the slots of them them snug.

For layout I usually take the big components of the game, like the game cards, and arrange with them in the box to find a configuration that could work within the depth I have. I have scrap pieces of foam core to help visualize this to see what might work.

With the 4 stacks of sleeved cards I needed to have the areas with card holders glued down to a base to prevent cards from slipping under the dividers. With only 7/8” of height to work with for the insert I opted for a black non-foam poster board to save on height.

I start out making a frame for the box interior. This frame helps to support the game board and manuals and it helps some boxes for stability but the GMT boxes are plenty stable. I measure the inside of the box then cut a piece of the poster board to the full size of the bottom of the box.

I cut two strips of foam core for opposite sides of the box, trimming them so they fit snug but not tight. Then the other two sides fitting them together in a L-Frame. When this is done and the four pieces fit nicely together I glue them down to the base poster board and each other while trying to avoid getting glue on the actual box.

If I intend to make the insert removable, before I start glueing, I drape a ribbon across the inside of the box under the poster board so that after initial glueing I can gently lift the insert before the glue secures it to the box. After lifting this I clean off any unwanted glue and place the insert back into the box to dry.

This is where the staples come in handy sometimes. They keep the corners stable while manipulating the box. I just push them in by hand, and usually remove them later.

Within about 4-5 minutes the glue is firm enough get back to work. I have some dummy sleeved cards to use for the card layout since the glue isn’t always dry and don’t want to spoil game components. I place them in the areas I felt they would fit best and measured for the 3 pieces necessary for the card slots. I cut one and tried it out with a stack of cards and when happy with the fit, I glued them down starting with the outside card slot walls, with placeholder dummy card stacks in place. Once the outer walls dried a bit I added the center slot wall using the same method.

From this point on it’s a lot of the same type of work for the trays. Using baggies of the game pieces, or just piles of them, placed them within the remaining area of the box and get an idea of the best tray layout where everything would fit and be usable. For all my work on the trays I do them one at a time and within the actual box so when they’re fit and glued down I don’t have any surprises. I cut poster board for the first tray, then cut and fit the walls, glue and maybe the staples. I usually try to pull out the tray before it fully dries to prevent it from sticking to the box. The underlying ribbon helps for this. Then complete the remaining trays and sectioning within trays as appropriate.

On some projects I felt that I needed more stability in some of the walls due to heaver pieces. In these instances I used pieces of toothpick within the foam core.

I hope this helps. There’s not a lot of planning before hand other than getting the materials to work with.

A Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? insert is next, I’ll take pictures along the way to show this process.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... I feel like I can attempt to duplicate this now. Thanks for the detailed response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This site has foamcore plans for 200+ games:

http://www.orderofgamers.com/

Scroll down until you see a heading: 'The Games' (tough to see because of red lettering on black background).

Looking forward to your next project, Michael.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P.
United States
Taunton
Massachusetts [MA]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sokadr wrote:
This site has foamcore plans for 200+ games:

http://www.orderofgamers.com/

Scroll down until you see a heading: 'The Games' (tough to see because of red lettering on black background).

Looking forward to your next project, Michael.

Could you post a link to the list of 200+ plans? I may be looking in the wrong place, because I can only see 11 on that site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Conder
United States
O Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insert plans. It was my first time messing with foam core. Having the poster board helped make the inner boxes more sturdy.

Started with the outer box

Blue painter's tape helped me keep the insert from being glued down to the box

Used an empty cigar box to make proper square corners

Progressed to two inner boxes

Completed insert with components

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCarty
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
Carrauntoohil
badge
Mt Whitney
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.