Subject: Netherlands.......travel ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We might possibly be visiting the Netherlands next spring and would have at most 3-4 days there only. We primarily want to visit the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam and any concentration camps that may exist.

What other suggestions would be good to see in a short time? We are not party people, nor are interested in the night life. We are a small family interested in history and architecture and natural beauty.

Thanks in advance!!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat
United Kingdom
Middlesbrough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the times I went over Amsterdam I stayed away from the city near a nice town called Vinkerveen in a 'hostel' named Lucky Lake (http://www.luckylake.nl/new/index.php) which is actually tiny caravans and cabins set next to a beautiful lake. I recommend here for cheap accommodation, particularly as you can hire boats/canoes for the lake and bikes to have a nice cycle round the local area which is gorgeous.

As a warning, the Amsterdam canal boat tour always seems like a good idea but you'll be itching to escape by the end if you're anything like me. And the sex museum is a bit naff but it's good for a giggle and was very cheap the last time we were there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clegg
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carrot cake at De Taart van m'n Tante. :)
http://www.detaart.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat
United Kingdom
Middlesbrough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh also I haven't been for a few years but the times I have been I've paid multiple visits to a cafe called Le Pot Au Feu (https://plus.google.com/104223977683904222461/about?gl=uk&hl...) who did an AWESOME chicken satay ciabatta. I hope they still do it/it's still delicious when I get back there next.

Oh and do the flower market if you get the chance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
It would definitely be worth visiting the windmills in Kinderdijk. You can get in one of the windmills (costs 6.5 € / person) and I absolutely loved it. Also, we really liked some of the towns we visited, like Brielle, Delft and Veere. We were driving around with our car and got to see a lot of nice things in about 4 days we spent there. Are you planning on renting a car? That would make it easier to get around and make the most of the short time there.

T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb

and her family helped us and told us a lot of things that would be worth seeing, I think it would be worth geekmailing her and asking traveling tips, at least we were really happy with everything they had suggested and what we then did. We didn't do cheese market this time around, which is something I really want to see one day. Also, we didn't see the tulip fields, which I would also like to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keukenhof If you're coming in spring, then you may be there at the right time for all the flower fields in de Keukenhof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Keukenhof If you're coming in spring, then you may be there at the right time for all the flower fields in de Keukenhof.

And here she is, even before any geekmails have been sent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamp Westerbork is a museum now, and it's the camp that Anne Frank was at before being sent on. It's not near Amsterdam though.

If you decide to go to Drente, they also have 'hunebedden' (according to wiki they're called Dolmen in English). See also this museum that's also about how people used to live in the past.

Vesting Bourtange is an old fortress more or less in the same region.

Just some ideas outside the western part of the country

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
mbmbmbmbmb
You're going strictly to Amsterdam, or also other parts of the Netherlands?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruesailmana wrote:
You're going strictly to Amsterdam, or also other parts of the Netherlands?

Good question, I assumed you might want to go to Westerbork because you specifically mentioned concentration camps, and that's the best known one (I think, it could be regional bias as I'm from the North originally).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No you're completely right, that's the one my international colleagues always mention if they have even heard of one of them... (mostly mentioning Anne Frank and Westerbork) Of course there's also Kamp Vught and many cemetaries specifically for WWII and also many things around de Grebbeberg.

But I think indeed two of the big questions are: When are you staying here? (For instance Keukenhof is very seasonal, open less then 2 months) and are you staying only in the west? (it's only a few hours driving to cross the entire country, so don't worry about the distances )

In open air museums there's also het Zuiderzee Museum (close to the IJsselmeer, so middle of the country) and Openluchtmuseum Arnhem (more south-east). And we even have a very small, charming one close to us: Openluchtmuseum Ootmarsum.

Apart from that there are many nice cities. To mention some Delft, Utrecht, Deventer, Amersfoort, Nijmegen, Maastricht, Groningen. (hihi had the mention the last two, even though they're about as far apart as you can get in The Netherlands)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like castles, visit Muiderslot castle, its about a half hour from Centraal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eelco van den Top
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
Though I currently live in Norway (for a year now), I am as Dutch as they come. Since my fiancee is Norwegian we have done quite a few of the things suggested above whenever she or family or Norwegian friends came to visit me in the Netherlands. You are definitely on the right track with those suggestions .

Now I’ll suggest to things to check out that made the biggest impression on my Norwegian better half. However, these are not in the Amsterdam region and thus come with a significant (for dutch standards) addition of travel time – probably best if you have a car and are willing to drive there:

Kroller-Muller museum in the Hoge Veluwe park
http://www.kmm.nl/?lang=en
This museum is situated smackdab in the middle of a nature park. Since there are no cars allowed you get to take one of the free bikes to make your way around. Make a combination of cycling around (hope for good weather!), visiting the outside museum statue garden and browse the art inside. Especially in the summer months there are many activities around the museum. There are some really cool Van Goghs to be seen, amongst others.
My girl is still asking when we can go do this again. We had an absolutely great time, mostly because of the unique combination of nature and art. Highly recommended.

De Efteling
http://www.efteling.co.uk/
Now this might be more of a tourist trap, so only go here if this clicks! This is an amusement park with a lot of flavor – definitely not your run of the mill roller coasters and smacked on theme things. The park is perhaps slightly more oriented on family attractions than thrill seekers. It actively conjures a fairytale like atmosphere – and to me and my girl feels very genuine. (my girl is mildly addicted to Disneyland, but gave this a special place in her heart).

Best of luck finding the right things to do for your family! Feel free to pm me if you want/need some more information etc!

Eelco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
critically_hit wrote:

This museum is situated smackdab in the middle of a nature park. Since there are no cars allowed you get to take one of the free bikes to make your way around. Make a combination of cycling around (hope for good weather!), visiting the outside museum statue garden and browse the art inside. Especially in the summer months there are many activities around the museum. There are some really cool Van Goghs to be seen, amongst others.
My girl is still asking when we can go do this again. We had an absolutely great time, mostly because of the unique combination of nature and art. Highly recommended.

Nice suggestion! I was there just last week. I don't know about earlier, but now cars are allowed on three small 'main' roads going very slowly so you can get to the museum or to the centre of the park where there's a visitor centre. I does cost extra though. The bikes are free.

We went by car to the centre and walked around for 4 km. I did see that the bikes took you more into the nature, further away from the cars and the centre and museum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mebririth wrote:
critically_hit wrote:

Nice suggestion! I was there just last week. I don't know about earlier, but now cars are allowed on three small 'main' roads going very slowly so you can get to the museum or to the centre of the park where there's a visitor centre. I does cost extra though. The bikes are free.

We went by car to the centre and walked around for 4 km. I did see that the bikes took you more into the nature, further away from the cars and the centre and museum.

+1 for this - I really liked the paintings in the museum, and the park is lovely too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem van Leeuwen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in architecture then simply taking a walk through the historical center of a Dutch city can be quite pleasant. Amsterdam itself is the obvious first choice, but also consider Haarlem, Utrecht, Leiden or The Hague, to name a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice van Valen
Netherlands
Breda
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While in Amsterdam, visit the Rijksmuseum. It displays great works of art and tells about the history of The Netherlands through it. And it is an architecturally interesting building, I believe.

Kroller-moller was mentioned and I recommend that also. It lies in a nature reserve that is beautiful as well (season depending perhaps) and there's also the architecturally interesting 'Jachthuis St. Hubertus' designed 100 years ago by H.P. Berlage (local celebrity architect) that has tours of the building.

Westerbork does not have much of the historical buildings left, but is still impressive. There's also a nice 'astronomical' walk leading to it, showing our solar system on scale, giving a nice impression of how empty it mostly is! The astronomy is there, because Westerbork is also the site of a radio observatory.

Enjoy your stay, should you decide to come to The Netherlands!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed the Van Gogh Museum. I was really surprised by how vibrant the colors were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some answers to your questions:

We would be flying in to Amsterdam, but do not need to stay there.

As I stated in the OP, our primary interest in Amsterdm is the Anne Frank House.

I'd like to visit surrounding areas and if we need to rent a car to do that we will. I just don't know what would be best. Bike-riding is out, unfortunately.

We hope to travel in early June. I mean, the windmills and tulip fields sound great, and I am interested in Delft, Ultrecht, and possibly The Hague. I'm getting sime books and videos from the library, but need expert--ahem, Narl's--advice.

Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Some answers to your questions:

We would be flying in to Amsterdam, but do not need to stay there.

As I stated in the OP, our primary interest in Amsterdm is the Anne Frank House.

I'd like to visit surrounding areas and if we need to rent a car to do that we will. I just don't know what would be best. Bike-riding is out, unfortunately.

We hope to travel in early June. I mean, the windmills and tulip fields sound great, and I am interested in Delft, Ultrecht, and possibly The Hague. I'm getting sime books and videos from the library, but need expert--ahem, Narl's--advice.

Thanks so much!

I was only in Amsterdam for one day and loved it. You will see far more than I did if you will be there for a few days. We ate there twice and the food was delicious but I can't remember exactly where...one place served Mediterranean/Middle Eastern food, I remember also that the french fries sold in the numerous shops that only served that were the best I have ever eaten. They have about 40 different toppings to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

We hope to travel in early June.

That means de Keukenhof is out (open till 17/05 next year). Although they're of course open at the height of the flowerbulb season, it doesn't mean you won't see those. But some advice on where to go would probably be a good idea. Someone from that region will probably be able to tell you where the best spots are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would toss in the -in my book- almost obligatory Rijksmuseum (The Night Watch!) and little less obligatory van Gogh Museum which both are located in Amsterdam close to the Vondelpark. That said, I would also suggest visiting the Vondelpark (biggest park in Amsterdam).

I would also recommend spending a lot of time in the Jordaan neighborhood of Amsterdam (very close to Anne Frank house), which is pretty and not as busy/commercialized as the rest of the inner-city center.

If you're in Amsterdam and interested in oddities, you could also always visit the 9 straatjes, which are 9 streets close to the center with all kinds of oddities, vintage clothing, lamps, jewelers and a (admittedly, not so good) modern boardgamestore.

Outside Amsterdam, I would recommend spending one day in Utrecht (lovely city) and one day in Alkmaar, which has a very nice 'typical' Dutch look to it and is famous for its cheese market. Both are easy to reach from Amsterdam. If you have more time for travel, I would recommend going to Maastricht instead of Alkmaar or Utrecht (the heathenry), because it's a very different city compared to more Northern cities and has more Southern NLs/Flemish/German/Catholic influences instead of Amsterdam/Alkmaar or Utrecht which are more alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a travel agent. I'm not from the Netherlands. I'm just showing you two places I was extremely impressed with when I visited that country. I'm quoting from their websites so you don't have to go elsewhere to read this:

FloraHolland Aalsmeer

Our location at Aalsmeer is the largest trading centre for plants and flowers in the world. And it's just a stone's throw from Schiphol airport.

Opening hours
The earlier you get here, the more you see. The auction is open to the public on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays, from 07.00 to 11.00, and on Thursdays, from 07.00 to 09.00.
We advise to start the visit as early as possible because in the early hours everything is in full activity.
The auction is closed to the public on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.

Self-guided tour
From the Visitor Centre, walk across a gallery through the auction complex. At the end of the gallery, you'll arrive at the auction halls where you'll see the flowers come before the auction clock.
As you walk around, you'll find information panels which explain - in four languages - the auction process and the activities you'll be watching. There's no need to sign up for this tour in advance.

The cheesemarket Alkmaar 2014 will take place from April 4th until September 5th, every Friday from 10 am until 12.30 pm on the Waagplein.

Thousands of visitors from all over the world visit Alkmaar for its cheese market, a particular spectacle which includes a market filled with cheese and hauling cheese carriers. In 1365 Alkmaar was granted weighing rights and a weighing scale, and in 1612 this number increased to four. Exactly when the first cheese market took place is shrouded in mystery. Old documents have been found that confirm the cheese market definitely took place in 1622, but there is also evidence that the cheese bearer's guild was founded in 1593.

09.50: Welcoming the visitors
09.55: Introduction of the bell-ringer
10.00: The bell is rung and the market is opened
10.05 - 10.50: Verbal presentation to visitors,in Dutch, German, English and French or Spanish
10.50 - 11.15: Performance by the carillon
11.20 - 12.05: Verbal presentation to visitors, in Dutch, German, English and French or Spanish
12.15 - 12.45 : Performance by the carillon
12.30: Cheese Market closes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in the Anne Frank house and concentration camps, you might be interested in other WWII monuments.
In Arnhem there is the famous 'bridge too far'. Nearby is Oosterbeek with the Airborne Museum. Less WWII, but very interesting is de Hoge Veluwe together with the Kröller-Müller Museum. In Arnhem we have Burgers Zoo, Openlucht museum and Sonsbeek park.

Okay, that's enough about Arnhem
One more suggestion more in the south of the Netherlands is Margraten Memorial.

I hope you enjoy your stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenCaroline wrote:
I'm not a travel agent. I'm not from the Netherlands. I'm just showing you two places I was extremely impressed with when I visited that country. I'm quoting from their websites so you don't have to go elsewhere to read this:

FloraHolland Aalsmeer

Our location at Aalsmeer is the largest trading centre for plants and flowers in the world. And it's just a stone's throw from Schiphol airport.

Opening hours
The earlier you get here, the more you see. The auction is open to the public on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays, from 07.00 to 11.00, and on Thursdays, from 07.00 to 09.00.
We advise to start the visit as early as possible because in the early hours everything is in full activity.
The auction is closed to the public on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.

Self-guided tour
From the Visitor Centre, walk across a gallery through the auction complex. At the end of the gallery, you'll arrive at the auction halls where you'll see the flowers come before the auction clock.
As you walk around, you'll find information panels which explain - in four languages - the auction process and the activities you'll be watching. There's no need to sign up for this tour in advance.

The cheesemarket Alkmaar 2014 will take place from April 4th until September 5th, every Friday from 10 am until 12.30 pm on the Waagplein.

Thousands of visitors from all over the world visit Alkmaar for its cheese market, a particular spectacle which includes a market filled with cheese and hauling cheese carriers. In 1365 Alkmaar was granted weighing rights and a weighing scale, and in 1612 this number increased to four. Exactly when the first cheese market took place is shrouded in mystery. Old documents have been found that confirm the cheese market definitely took place in 1622, but there is also evidence that the cheese bearer's guild was founded in 1593.

09.50: Welcoming the visitors
09.55: Introduction of the bell-ringer
10.00: The bell is rung and the market is opened
10.05 - 10.50: Verbal presentation to visitors,in Dutch, German, English and French or Spanish
10.50 - 11.15: Performance by the carillon
11.20 - 12.05: Verbal presentation to visitors, in Dutch, German, English and French or Spanish
12.15 - 12.45 : Performance by the carillon
12.30: Cheese Market closes

A cheese-market?! Now I need to go back. Cheese!
The flower market also sounds pretty nifty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.