Popular Tags: [View All]
Val Doonican
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Arkham, as does my usual groups of 5 a we have played it 5 times and loved every one, some vanilla, some with Dunwich Horror. I have a 7 possibly 8 player game coming up which everyone is excited for (only 1 new player), and will play with Dunwich and Kingsport.

What are recommendations on house rules or variants to give enough challenge and make it fun? I will be in GM role, and I was thinking 2 monsters per mythos card.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matěj Jan Morávek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it is in official rules to draw two monsters per opened gate when you play with 5 or more players.

Also, keep in mind official ruling about playing with more large expansions - for each expansion desk more than one, treat the number of investigators to be one lower for the purpose of monsters, outskirts and gate limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Arkham Horror, but I would never play with more than 6 unless the players were the type to enjoy the whole experience, which needs to include other players turn. A player can end up having a series of short, uneventful turns while having to wait while someone else battles through 5 monsters, gaining an ally and jumping into gates.

I'd suggest making yourself the last player during the first turn and just generally volunteering yourself as the 'helper' to keep the game fun.

Another thing I do is to have a 'subs bench' of investigators in the event of a devourment. I make it so that the replacement investigators have no specific fixed common, spell or unique items because it really slows the game down having to fish these out and then re-shuffle the decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ValDoonican wrote:
I love Arkham, as does my usual groups of 5 a we have played it 5 times and loved every one, some vanilla, some with Dunwich Horror. I have a 7 possibly 8 player game coming up which everyone is excited for (only 1 new player), and will play with Dunwich and Kingsport.

What are recommendations on house rules or variants to give enough challenge and make it fun? I will be in GM role, and I was thinking 2 monsters per mythos card.
Thanks.
I don't think that you'll need anything to make it a challenge for 7/8 players! I used to play almost exclusively with 7P and I can assure you that the threat of the Gate Limit along with the risk of "A Gate and a Monster Appear" will keep you worried. Similarly, the previously mentioned 2 Monsters per Gate can be hard (especially if they are both Yellow or Green). And then there's Monster Surges. You will not enjoy Monster Surges. But deffo use a big box expansion - having the extra board to keep all the Investigators busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.