Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Ok so here's what went wrong.

When I dumped the data from the old database (using mysqldump) I used an option to combine multiple data elements into 1 query. That is... when you restore the data it can insert a bunch of data all in one query (it's all combined).

Well - if there's a single problem in that query you will lose the entire set of data contained. Theoretically there shouldn't have been errors in those queries, but there were.... or mysql couldn't handle it.

Depending on how big the packet size (mine was 16MB). You'll lose that much. I was under the assumption that it would skip the ones that were in error - nope! Each error resulted in about 16MB of data loss. So...... you can see why there were holes.

Anyway - back to the old way of dumping data (1 query per record) it seems I can recover most if not all the data we lost.

I put this in a new thread in case it gets dugg...yah right!

Update: Upon re-reading this thread it's possible that my new server couldn't handle the 16MB queries? Maybe that's why some got eaten. I'm checking it now. Wouldn't that have been a nice error message? Exceeded packet length maybe?

Update2: Nope that wasn't it - my new server's packet size is 16MB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.