Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this was the buzz, right? We were all awaiting this next Civilization, that would be playable in two hours, likely with a Euro-style play mechanics. Well, isn't this what Tempus is? Now I see the reviews that it isn't grand enough. It is to ehhh. It is missing some things. It streamlined and abstractish nature takes off some of the chrome that excites people. It arguably has less color than Goa. But think of Goa for a minute. Exactly WHAT does that have to do with trading of spices from India by the Dutch? Can I also ask people about Caylus exactly how that game maps to reality in any way? It is loosely mapped chrome to some clever play mechanics.

Well, look over what was expect here. It was said to be playable in two hours or less (the Euro angle). This would mean SOME things were dropped to streamline, right? And then, if you know Wallace, you are going to get the Euro treatment. Wallace is one of the best at taking typical American style themes and giving it an injection of Euro mechanics.

Maybe this treatment disappoints people with it. Perhaps the game does need more to be a Civ game. But, thinking over this, I am thinking of another game that would be similar. That game... Vinci.

Vinci is a Rise and Fall game (aka Brittania and History of the World), that is playable in two hours or less. It is truncated, but follows the mechanics. It is abstracted, just like Tempus. It is abstractish, but does play well. To me (I haven't played Tempus yet, but own it), it is very similar. It is abstracted out, cut to the essentials and having it what it is. I am amazed that Tempus has managed to do this.

Ok, what I will say here isn't praise or homerism now. It would be an argument you can do VARIANTS with Tempus to answer the criticisms. Here are a few things to make the game broader in scope, but it would also add to game length, or reduce the variety a bit.
1. Historical maps. Do a scenario map that matches the earth. You may need to do your own maps drawn, but there is no reason not to.
1a. Have scenarios to go with the historical map.
2. Allow trading of idea cards. This would increase player interaction somehow.
3. Add a tech tree sort of thing to it. Make it so players develop each AREA Goa style, and need to develop different areas. This again would make things slowed down some. Have it so that each time a player causes one more advances to hit the top level, that would cause a new era to develop. You could also take the concept and make it go further.
3a. Add more types of units to go with the tech tree. As you advance down a level, that gives you more types of units you can build as military units and for cities.

Of course, you start doing this, you are going to cut the various scenarios out, add additional complexity and increase the length of the game. But, Tempus is a good base for doing other things, similar to the way Age of Steam would allow it, but even more so.

Just my 2 cents. I believe Tempus is what it advertises. Just maybe people want a different game. You do have some more historically mapped Civ type games, such as Mare Nostrum and Antike by the way. And these do remind me, why do people think a Civ type game should be more war heavy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I don't label Tempus as a Civilization gaem. It's more of a Logistics game, with a bit of conflict thrown in. It makes for an excellent Logistics game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I don't label Tempus as a Civilization gaem.

I label it as a civilization game. Explained my rationale here, if you're interested:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/121313/page/1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because a game is a 'civilisation' game does it not mean it is like 'Civilization'.

Some people have the same problem with 'wargames' and 'railgames'. They believe they have taken patent (trademark, copyright) on the expression - even though no official authority can verify this.

Here is a list of the civilisation games listed on the Geek:
http://tinyurl.com/qpyql

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Just because a game is a 'civilisation' game does it not mean it is like 'Civilization'.

Some people have the same problem with 'wargames' and 'railgames'. They believe they have taken patent (trademark, copyright) on the expression - even though no official authority can verify this.

Here is a list of the civilisation games listed on the Geek:
http://tinyurl.com/qpyql

Why do you link another website that brings you back to bgg? Are you trying to get hits to your website?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Chen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galeninjapan wrote:
Why do you link another website that brings you back to bgg? Are you trying to get hits to your website?

tinyurl.com allows you to create short URLs that forward to other URLs. It's generally used to allow people to post a short link for cutting-and-pasting into a browser. When people email long URLs, they often get split across lines and otherwise corrupted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
I don't label Tempus as a Civilization gaem.

I label it as a civilization game. Explained my rationale here, if you're interested:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/121313/page/1

I'm sorry I should have quantified my answer. I don't consider Tempus a 4X type civilization game, or a sid miers type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4x

I think people who looks for a Civ game look for several elements of a 4X game that are not presenet in Tempus.

But like Mik said calling Civilization game is just a label. Ticket to Ride I don't consider a "Train" game, though it has trains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.