Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Sloan
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my new gaming group was broken in with a session of Kingmaker tonight. I'd never played it, but it seemed to be a standard sort of older Avalaon Hill bookcase game (which is a compliment, in my book). There were three of us, and early on I seemed to have an advantage, first in having six noble to the enemies' 4 each. As play progressed, my lead seemed only to widen as I seemed to get all the best cards and soon I found myself with the King and two heirs under my control, with one heir to either opposing player. Thins looked great, until I decided to attack Shrewsbury (which would have given me complete control of all the major roads to/from Southampton, Canterbury and Wakefield. Alas, I was unskilled enough to have massed many of my assets and titles with Beuafort, who was lost in the otherwise unimportant battle. From there, it was downhill as the other players were gunning for me in a formal alliance. I tried fleeing to Ireland or France, but was caught and decimated. My sole noble left was Cromwell in Ireland with a single heir. He ended up aligning with one other player, but it was no use, and we were eventually defeated and Margaret crowned Queen of England.

All in all a fun game. I will have to try it agin inthe near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you pointed out, massing cards on a single noble, and then using the noble in a nearly meaningless battle are both things you want to avoid. I am so glad you enjoyed the game. As my username indicates this is my favorite game. If you ever get a chance to pick up the variant cards, do so, it really helps avoid the stalemates that can arise. Long live Kingmaker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sloan
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I will be sure to hunt the variants down. I just picked up a copy for myself off eBay the other day and can't wait to try it out again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Davis
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! This is one of my favorite games all time (just look at my Top 10 for proof). The only reason it isn't on my Hot 10 is because it's in storage and I haven't been able to reach it for 13+ years. I love the game, I love the period, and I love the old Avalon Hill (curses upon Hasbro/the Borg for assimilating it). I generally agree with the other replies, but you learned a valuable lesson, and you'll avoid them in the future. Good luck in all your future endeavors with this wonderful simulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.