Popular Tags: LOTR [+] Campaign [+] [View All]
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerComa wrote:
Any news on a date for Version 3? I'm so excited!

ditto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next week it'll be guys, next week :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Billington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone else checked for the version 3 update of this EVERY day this week? Or is it just me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll find the opening post up to date and I hope to your taste

Changes from version 2 to version 3

- The rules were streamlined. There are now 30 basic rules for paying the campaign mode (there was 44 in version 2).

- We eventually added some custom cards and existing cards to the frame:
Note that you still can play the campaign without those custom cards!

1/ First, we re-used the saga boons bolstering the Noble, Ranger, Warrior and Healer trait from the Black Riders and Treason of Saruman. Boons can be purchased by speding victory points. We also added 8 new boons bolstering the Scout, Minstrel, Craftsman and Archer traits

2/ We introduced the iconic locations of Middle-Earth both for the forces of good and evil with new type of cards : “Presence” (such as Dol Guldur, Barad-Dûr) and “Havens” (such as Hobbiton or Rivendell). Those cards have a minimal impact on the game, we did not want to add complexity. But they interact with the concept of a dead pile!

3/ We intoduced also the people of Middle-Earth in new “Gift” card, those two-sided cards rewards thematic playing and can be purchased with victory points, as the boon can be.

Check out version 3 of the rules to see how you earn those Boons and Burdens!

Many kudos to Karagh, alias Daniel Tello, who designed Gift, Haven and Presence templates more than a YEAR ago
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Billington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely brilliant. I've just finished off printing out all the new cards and now looking forward to our next meet up to carry on with the saga! I'm almost certain I will have plenty of questions in a few days or so...
Once again, well done for this excellent project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
Congrats for the real good job you have made!!

I've took your work as a starting point to made myself a whole custom saga experience designing completely new boons and burdens specifically attached to the different story-arcs and published scenarios and not so generic as the burdens you propuse. When I fully develop them I will send you a copy for free just in case you want included them in the v.4.

Apart from that, I'm very kind on the idea of introducing Heavens, Presences and Gifts, but I want to give them more relevance in the campaign. I've got some ideas in mind to work with and as son as I finish I will share with you too, but could you mind to share the templates you use to design them. I just need the image which contains the Windows for the texts as I used my own pictures and the Gecko Templates for the rest, but the design you get is somthing I realliy like and I could maintain If you give me your approval.

Thank you in advance for everything and please continue performing this epic work everyone (at least myself) enjoy to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your kind words. I'd be glad to take a look at your work.

For the mentionned templates, you should get in touch with your fellow spanish gamer Daniel Tello (alias karagh on BGG). He was the one who designed the templates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks AMAZING! I've just gone through all the new custom cards and chortled the whole time. All of them are bursting with theme, and none of them look completely over- or under-powered.

Except maybe for the Gift card Watchful in the North, whose engagement requirements seem a bit too high. "If you are engaged with 3 enemies or less" should, in my opinion, have been "2 enemies or less". Requiring the Dúnedain player to keep four enemies around, defending against them every turn and never killing them (because if you EVER drop down to 3 engaged enemies, the defense bonus goes away) seems a bit too steep a price when compared with the other Gift cards. Or perhaps the text should have been "Forced: At the beginning of the combat phase, if you are engaged with 3 enemies or less, remove all resource tokens from Watchful in the North and flip it." I.e., more in line with how the text of The Little Folk works. That way you can kill some enemies during the combat phase, as long as you engage new ones during the next turn.

But that's the only card that jumped out at me as being off-kilter. The rest all look wonderful (WHERE did you get some of that amazing Middle-Earth art?), and I'm very much looking forward to playing a Tale of Years campaign sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmunn wrote:
That looks AMAZING! I've just gone through all the new custom cards and chortled the whole time. All of them are bursting with theme, and none of them look completely over- or under-powered.

Thank you, we tried to keep close to theme indeed. But anyhow, the main job was made by the designers of the game themselves

Quote:
Except maybe for the Gift card Watchful in the North, whose engagement requirements seem a bit too high. "If you are engaged with 3 enemies or less" should, in my opinion, have been "2 enemies or less". Requiring the Dúnedain player to keep four enemies around, defending against them every turn and never killing them (because if you EVER drop down to 3 engaged enemies, the defense bonus goes away) seems a bit too steep a price when compared with the other Gift cards. Or perhaps the text should have been "Forced: At the beginning of the combat phase, if you are engaged with 3 enemies or less, remove all resource tokens from Watchful in the North and flip it." I.e., more in line with how the text of The Little Folk works. That way you can kill some enemies during the combat phase, as long as you engage new ones during the next turn.

Duely noted

Quote:
But that's the only card that jumped out at me as being off-kilter. The rest all look wonderful (WHERE did you get some of that amazing Middle-Earth art?), and I'm very much looking forward to playing a Tale of Years campaign sometime.

Tell us how it goes and thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zea Water
msg tools
Hi I am really looking fwd to this campaign mode, awesome work!! How do the gift cards work? Do they collect a resource every round as part of resourcing phase? Example the Dwarf gift which boosts defence. That card collects 1 resource every round. I can spend resources on allies (for the gift cards sphere) at anytime? With that particular card if it ever reaches 0 resources I flip it which enables the defense boost? Is my understanding correct? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No the Gift cards do not collect a resource every round, unless mentionned directly on the card (for example Bulwark of the West)

Those are double-sided card. When you use one, you put it "sphereless" faceup at the beginning of the game. Then, during the game, if you meet the requirements given by the card, you can flip it and benefit from the bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zea Water
msg tools
I am really enjoying this campaign, and am up to Searching for Balin. I am struggling to understand how to use Gift "Sons of Aule" in particular. The text reads: "Gifted (Dwarves) get +1 Defence. Forced: After an item or artifact is discarded from play or from the top of your deck remove 1 resource token from Sons of Aule. Forced: After the last token is removed from sons of Aule flip it."

Questions:

(1) How do I collect resources on this card so that I can remove them via the forced effect?

(2) When do I have the +1 defence? From the get go or only after it is flipped?

(3) if the gift card has resources can I spend them on that Spheres cards?

I am really enjoying the campaign. The victory point spending is excellant. I just need to get my head around the Gift card usage.

Thanks, Zeawater.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the Gift cards have a similar pattern. They have one side with a resource icon, and one "neutral" side with no resource icon. On the "neutral" side, they have "Response: After (some condition happens), add 1 Resource to (name of card)", and "Response: When there are at least 5 resource tokens on (name of card), flip it." (Some cards have a different number than 5, but most use 5). Some cards may have other effects as well, like the effect on Sons of Aüle's neutral side that gives -1 willpower to Silvan characters you control.

When you flip the card, you keep the resource tokens it had accumulated. Now on the "non-neutral" or "gifted" side of the card, there is a resource icon, which you can use to spend your resource tokens if you wish. There is also a permanent effect that applies while that side of the card is face-up (usually in the form of "Gifted characters get (some bonus)", where "gifted" means "characters that match this card's Traits"). So when Sons of Aüle has its "gifted" side face-up, all your Dwarf allies get +1 Defense. (In this case, Sons of Aüle says "allies" rather than "characters" the way most other Gift cards do, so it doesn't apply to heroes -- I wonder if that was an oversight, or as intended?)

So the answer to your questions, in order, are:

1) You start with the neutral side of the Gift card face-up. The neutral side tells you how to collect resources on it; it's different for each Gift, but usually matches the "theme" of that race's particular Gift. For Dwarves, the Zigil Miner is perfect for collecting resources on Sons of Aüle, for example.

2) You only have the +1 defense when the "gifted" side is face-up. At the start of the game, when the neutral side is face-up, the effect "Silvan characters you control get -1 willpower" is in play instead.

3) Yes, the resource tokens on the Gift card can be spent on the sphere printed on the card, if the "gifted" side of the card is currently face-up. (The neutral side has no resource sphere icons). For Sons of Aüle, that's the Leadership sphere.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zea Water
msg tools
Robin,

Thanks I now understand the root my confusion thanks! In my haste to play I could not wait for the printed cards to arrive. I printed proxies. I did not realise the dual side / same title on two of the printouts I assumed they was two separate cards. I was thinking the "sphereless" side was the back of the card haha.

Now it all makes complete sense!! Sorry I wasted your time but I appreciate the reponse and great answers.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blargy McBlargerton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looks great! When I follow the link to Printer Studio it defaults to wanting to put 2 copies in my cart. Is there a reason why I would need two sets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No reason at all, one Set is enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vigor TheOne
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the greatest thing created since LotRLCG itself. I was thinking about something like this for years. I hope you keep this project alive for as long as the game is alive. I will be printing this asap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Banania and team,

An absolutely marvelous achievement. What an addition to an already great game.

Has anyone considered constructing (or has done so already) a list of optimal thematic heroes that might be used for each section of the campaign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Plumbatta
msg tools
hi there,

just wanted to comment, the campaign looks amazing and I've already printed up the cards and Im getting my group ready to dive in. I was curious tho, when following the game with the character restrictions and eagle/ent/mount restrictions, how much slow down are you seeing so new decks can be rebuilt between quests? We only get to meet up once a month, so having to stop play to build new decks around that may chew into a lot of time. Or are you seeing that a decent side board has been enough to make minor tweaks and keep on playing? thanks for the input, really looking forward to playing this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Honestly if you're meeting once in a while, 4-players, I'd suggest you drop every restriction on deckbuilding. The level of abstraction in this game is what you make of it, so you might think that eagles you play are not really undergroud, but making sentinel over the misty mountains or god know what.

However, as the campaign mechanics revolve on unique cards going or coming from the dead pile, you have to follow the rules of deckbuilding with at least 6 non-istari unique cards in each player deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Gibbons
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi! Great work on the campaign, we are really enjoying it! Noticed that Most of the Dream-chaser cycle and The Flame of the West saga are missing. Any plans on adding those or tips on where I could add them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We put the Dream-chaser cycle right after Angmar Awakened, and obviously Flame of the West right after the Land of Shadow.

An updated version is in the pipe. No realease date though, probably at the end of current Harad cycle.

Mainly changes to the chronology and a very minor changes to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladislav Nikolaenko
Russia
Ekaterinburg
flag msg tools
Hi, banania!

Thanks for campaign rules. I have a couple questions:
1) If I play Chronology of Westlands then the [41] tule completely replaces the [28] rule?
2) After I won the scenario I earn amount of victory points as
a) [28] rule only or
b) [28] rule + victory points from a victory display?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

1) I think you meant [41]. Yes, when you play Chronology of the Westlands, the table of rule [41] overrules the [28] default victory points.

2) Answer b). You get victory points as per [28] (or [41] if playing Chronology of the Westlands)) + the victory points in the victory display

So sometimes, you might want to kill the additional Hill Troll to amass more victory points and get a nice boon for your heroes! It also rewards the players for including player cards with Victory keyword in their deck such as The Fall of Gil-Galad, Black Arrow or some side quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to use the Printer's Studio link to get these today, and it's throwing add to cart failures. I know they recently cracked down on some other full bleed and alternate art sets the community had hosted...was curious if maybe this got caught up in that, or if it's just me?

If it did get taken down, is anyone familiar with how many times you need to zoom out the provided image files to get them to print at the right size through Artscow(the default looks like it'll cut off parts of the top/bottom)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.