Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: LOTR [+] Campaign [+] [View All]
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I tried to use the Printer's Studio link to get these today, and it's throwing add to cart failures. I know they recently cracked down on some other full bleed and alternate art sets the community had hosted...was curious if maybe this got caught up in that, or if it's just me?

This must have to do with licensing issue. User R3d R3ven sent me a message with a quote from Printer Studio:

Printer Studio wrote:
Sorry to inform you that we cannot print licensed design "Lord of the Rings" without the authorization of license owner in order to protect the intellectual property. Please advise if you will provide authorization letter to us or please sign in your account and click link below-->click "Modify" at top right-->"Edit" to drag and drop new images to proceed production.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything I can do about that. It's quite obvious they can't print licensed material, and I don't think they take the time to check if the cards are fanmade or not, they very well could be issued from an adventure pack or any other official product.

Also, apart from those licensing LOTR, I personally did not ask any permission to artists from whom I borrowed images, John Howe in the line.

It may also come directly from FFG. If we can fan-make cards via Strange Eons and print them (quite professionally I must say about Printer Studio's quality of service), what stop anybody from printing whole expansions? Or missing 2nd and 3rd core set cards? Or encounter sets? I'd still think that'd be dumb from FFG, as these kind of fan made initiative boost the game popularity, and thus, the sellings.

It's never ever a good idea to restrain fan creativity and willingness to contribute to the community. I still don't know if they are to blame though. One argument in their favor is that the law applies for everyone and everything within its bound. It certainly is not quite legal.

That said, I obviously don't get any money for it, and me and my fellow are dedicated players, and good customers. Valiko and myself possess everyone damn expansion in the game in both French and English versions, including nightmare quests and standalone quests; and Elia83 has the whole collection too, though mainly in French edition.

It's kind of a setback for us considering the time we spent coming up with our ideas, designing it and producing it.

I will eventually add, and then stop ranting, that from a personal view, if FFG is twarthing this thing, maybe should I stop also giving time (and 20$ a year for hosting...) for http://lotr-lcg-quest-companion.com/home.html or even http://lotr-lcg-quest-companion.com/campaignlog/. That way, maybe they could find enough money to provide players with a decent quest log including quest particularities or a dedicated app with a compendium rulebook. I would certainly pay for those kind of services and be done with doing it myself for free

Quote:

If it did get taken down, is anyone familiar with how many times you need to zoom out the provided image files to get them to print at the right size through Artscow(the default looks like it'll cut off parts of the top/bottom)?

There's a way. It's an option in Strange Eons where you can add cropping margins. That way, the card is slightly larger, and with Printer Studio or Artscow zooming, it makes just the right cards.

I'll make the Strange Eons file public (and high-res images with cropping margins) so everyone individually can find a solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much obliged.

And yeah...it could just be Printer's Studio clamping down on it (especially given their TOS verbiage), or it could be that FFG, or the Tolkien Estate, or one of the artists complained and that prompted them to do a review. In any event, it does suck and hopefully we can continue printing fan-made alternate art and fan-made scenario products from other services.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I also tried to go through the Printer just in case, but got copyright denied after the order. Any chance you can add these cards onto sheets in pdfs for easier printing? My solution will probably be to get some good quality/photo grade paper and print them out and then sleeve them.

But I am not particularly proficient with pdf manipulation so if there are sheets of the cards that would help a ton. Thanks again for doing this version. I am very excited to give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Phelps
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So it seems that printing these cards at the Printer Studio is no longer an option. It also seems that only 4 burden cards that will get shuffled with other cards.
I see two options here:
1) Self-print and use opaque sleeves for at least the encounter deck.
2) Getting these cards printed elsewhere.

I am leaning towards the first option at the moment only because I am new at this printing online and don't know of other printers at the moment. I haven't really looked either.

On another note, have any of you played with 4 players? How has that worked out? For those of you who have some experience, I would love to hear your suggestions on how to make this work well with my conditions listed later.

I am planning to play this with my quite mature 11-year-old son and another couple. He is very capable of making good strategic plays, but am unsure of his deck-building skills. I appreciate the comment "drop every restriction on deckbuilding" and will keep that in mind. Should I stick to the

My goal is to complete the scenarios in chronological order, but am uncertain about how to pull it off well. Specifically regarding deck-building. Currently, I am the only one that has the cards. Are there some pre-configured recommended decks for each scenario? Should I build all the decks (based on the little knowledge of deck-building I already have) and let the other players pick one and then we just start playing, or should I allow for some deck building time?

Regarding actual play time, we are looking to get together maybe every other week or so.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize I still haven't make the cards available. I will do this tonight.

Regarding printing, the alternative is Artscow. I think if you use Printer Studio you may not be able to SHARE or make public any custom print run with other people (like the link I previously made) but you may still be able to do it by yourself, creating your own custom deck and keeping it private. If you do so, or use Artscow, you'll need images hd with crop margins. I will provide them.

Regarding deckbuilding, if you have the ENTIRE cardpool you should have no difficulty building 4 monospheres dwarf decks for you and your friends. Dwarves have a lot of unique allies and attachments. As the campaign starts with the hobbit you could start with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Palandri
msg tools
Is there a way to add the custom cards into OCTGN, so that I can play The Tale of Years on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vigor TheOne
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

This is a great project. I'm so amazed by this. I was lucky enough that printerstudio accepted my order. It was shipped yesterday.

Now I have a question. Will this project be updated in the future? It would be so cool if, once the game will end, we have one overall campaign with matching campaign cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluss Burrito
Germany
NW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any ideas for a Final version ? The game is almost complete and maybe this is the opportunity for some more changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nicol
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
What's this talk about the game being "almost complete"? The LoTR saga is finishing, but that doesn't mean that the game itself is finishing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluss Burrito
Germany
NW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe there is no more stuff to license from the Tolkien family, or they stopped to offer more stories like the silmarillion.

Of cause there could be more imaginary content, but I believe ffg will go for some other IP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nicol
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think FFG will keep the game alive for as long as it is selling. Arkham LCG has usurped LoTR LCG in the BGG hotness list, but these forums are still 10 or 20x more active than Cthulhu: The Card Game's forums were when FFG pulled the plug on that game. So I think this game still has a very healthy player base. Still, I know that the finish of the saga expansions makes us all wonder about the future of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlussBurrito wrote:
I believe there is no more stuff to license from the Tolkien family, or they stopped to offer more stories like the silmarillion.

Yes and no. The rights to LOTR and The Hobbit are not owned by the Tolien estate; The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, etc. are.

With that said, all of the deluxe and adventure packs are stories of the designers' own invention featuring characters either from those two books or else also imagined. So rights to the IP are neither here nor there unless we're talking specifically about the saga expansions.

Like Jonathan said, I wouldn't expect FFG to stop producing content for the game while they have the licence and it's still selling. That's just not the way they work. I expect we'll find out more in the next few weeks though - if there's no new expansions announced at Gen Con then perhaps it is the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rights to the Lord of the Rings also includes the appendices -- if FFG wanted to, they could hypothetically make many saga expansions based on materials there. I don't expect them to.

But I also don't expect them to stop the regular cycles; there are places we haven't been and places that could stand a revisit. From the accidental release of the last pack of the Harad cycle in Europe, we have reason to believe that

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The next cycle will head to Dale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schipper
Australia
Aberfoyle Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any plans to keep updating this great looking project? I am keen to make the cards one way or another but want to make sure i dont have to 'remake' them too soon if an update comes out.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I will update it, but time is a rare thing these days, and I cooled off a bit about LOTR LCG, with AH:LCG going full throttle (I dreamt of that LCG!!) and World in Flames new edition on the way!

But I will update it, I still love that game!

The longest part of the job is to make some statistics about the different scenarios, as I have an excel sheet that calculates the amount of victory points based on difficulty of scenarios, surge ratio, etc. Fillin in that table is the big job, then everything goes smoothly.

If anybody wants to help me fill that excel sheet, I can send the template and point out what scenarios are currently missing in our analysis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluss Burrito
Germany
NW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From Lotr to ah, that's strange. ah lcg felt mediocre to me and I sold it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two games are as alike as they're different, and I seem to find my contentment in them both Too bad for my wallet, but this is good for yours
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-Bit Bastard
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
“That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”
mbmbmbmbmb
GM sent.

I too love both games. LOTR hasn't got much love since Arkham Horror was released. I'm trying to get a hold of the Fellowship 2017, and Invocation 2017 kits to run an event at the local shops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Colombo
Italy
San Giorgio su Legnano
Italia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of a persistent Campaign set for this game. I'm new to this game (i have purchased second hand copy of all the cards up to Gray Havens and 2 Core Set), and i was looking to something like this to play with my other 3 fiends at local meeting. This document (V3) is too much complex for me cause i don't know even the Hero's name yet! But i pick the idea of "progression" trough the Game:

- Each of my friend (and I) build a Deck of 50 cards with 6 unique per deck
- We play Scenario in release order starting from Core
- When we win a Scenario we take (as a group) X point to be spent in different ways (i have to figure out what i can do with those to keep it simple, ideas are welcome)
--Point spent idea (the points DO NOT expire if not used):
A) "buy" card from the cards AP/Deluxe we have unlocked (X point = X cost card), cards buied go into all player card pool
B) "heal" (X point = X heal from a Hero card)
C) "Threat" (X point = X Threat subtracted to next Scenario starting)
D) "Revive" (X point = Revive a card from the dead and/or a hero)
- If the entire group lose a Scenario (ALL Heroes died or all Threat > 50) that Scenario can be fought again without having to Revive nothing.
(I need to add a penalty to this or I just can leave it simple due to be all noob and new player, i guess we all die pretty much every new scenarioat least once XD)

This is basically the core of the Tale of Years right?
There are something more that i have to consider before starting?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tale of the Years is organized in a "theorical chronological" order, but release order is fine, if you wanna go progression style.

Your points B) C) and D) are indeed ways to spend your victory points in TotY. But point A) is not. In our version you can include any card of any expansion into your deck.

If you include point A), you might want to give each player a constant victory point gain at the end of each scenario, otherwise, you probably will struggle buying those new cards!

Say, 3 or 4 vps per player seems about right. You'd also want to save those vps from one scenario to the next if you don't spend them, for example to buy new heroes (that will require an average 10-vps by your rules).

Let us know how your progression styled campaign went!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Colombo
Italy
San Giorgio su Legnano
Italia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply!

banania wrote:
Tale of the Years is organized in a "theorical chronological" order, but release order is fine, if you wanna go progression style.
If you include point A), you might want to give each player a constant victory point gain at the end of each scenario, otherwise, you probably will struggle buying those new cards!

I like the idea of "limiting" the card pool, and this Point System i think is the way to go. Since we play in 4 people, i can give 4 Point to each player at the end of a Scenario (so +16 total with 4 people if the Scenario was won). I don't know if i have to give point for a Defeated one (sure there will be no penalty if all the group died), maybe a small compensation given by the "Victory X" cards defeated, check below.

Quote:
You'd also want to save those vps from one scenario to the next if you don't spend them, for example to buy new heroes (that will require an average 10-vps by your rules).

Yes, this is the crucial part, all the Points should be carried from Scenario to Scenario and this will open up a Strategic ways to spend them (when to buy cards specially). So the VP from a victory should never expire BUT i was thinking about making all the keyword "Victory X" on enemy defeated cards to be added to the VP at the end of the Scenario regardless if the group won or lose it, and those VP generated by "Victory X" cads WILL expire if not used right away (this can balance the fact that no point would be given to a Defeated Scenario, at least with this maybe few point we can low the Threat or do other stuff to make the Scenario easier for the next try)

Quote:
Let us know how your progression styled campaign went!

Sure i will make you know when we start, so that we can maybe fix something on the road and maybe i will do a .pdf rules on my Variant based on your Variant ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Danbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Were these card files available somewhere for download and print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the first post of this thread, you will find link to google drive folder with all card images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think you should add "The Houses of Healing" on page 4 at [8].

Also, stupid question here: is it ment that you get Victory Points by rule [28] plus "special extra VP" via [41]?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch.

And no you get only those of 42 if playing Chronology if the Westslands. Rule 28 applies when you want to play any combination of scenarios you would like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.