Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Errata

The maximum number of Favor Points provided by the Temple of Plutus and by the Temple of Mercury is 22.

Variants

1. Limited Market

When activating a Market with a Worker, a player may perform a maximum number of sales and purchases equal to the experience of that Worker. A sale is giving away of one resource (Wood, Stone, Marble, Weapon) for Gold and a purchase is giving away Gold for one Resource.

For example, a player activated the Market with a Worker with 2 experience. He sales 2 Stones for 6 Gold and purchased 2 Wood for 4 Gold.

2. Unassigned Labor Camp

When a Labor Camp tile is revealed, place it in the city (the first player decides its placement). This tile remains without an owner until the end of the game. And player may activate the tile by paying the required resources to the bank. The rest of the rules concerning the Labor Camp apply.

3. Game length

For a shorter game, modify the setup as follows:
- before creating the Wall Tiles stack remove 5 random Wall Tiles from the game
- do not reveal the remove tiles to the players OR reveal the removed tiles to all the players and keep them visible for the rest of the game
- the rest of the game rules apply

For details, please check this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Errata and variants
It would be helpful if you could edit your post and change the Subject to something like "Official errata and variants".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisses Clan Skryre
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmb
I find these variants to be awesome.

And this has nothing to do with the fact that they are the ones I used already, honest! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nisses wrote:
I find these variants to be awesome.

And this has nothing to do with the fact that they are the ones I used already, honest! whistle

Agreed mostly. But why not simply have the Temples scoring power also be tempered by the experience of the worker/dice that was placed on them - as has been done with the Market ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these temple scoring limits per activation or is it max. 22 FPs regardless of how many times does one activate the temple?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per activation, of course. There is no device in the game to keep track of the total no. of Favor from each building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C. Martinez
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrei,

Thanks for following up so closely on your customers :)

Is there any chance we can get the manual (in English at least) revised with these errata / variants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dagmar Storz
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does each single resource (wood/stone/marmor/weapon) count to get favour points by the Temple of Plutus and by the Temple of Mercury or do you need always a couple (wood+stone) or (marmor+weapon) of these reources to get the favour points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisses Clan Skryre
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmb
Each cube scores
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dagmar Storz
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isra C.
Spain
Valdemoro, Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, my girlfriend and I removed 3 random tiles in order to get only 12 rounds without reading this thread laughlaugh That's because when we set up the game, we saw that it could be a little bit long (the both of us wants to win and if we have to spend one hour more playing trying to win each other, we do laugh)

I find too powerful the ownership of the labor camp(maybe decreasing in 2 coins the cost of activation...) and I find that variant quite nice but... without the variant makes the game more interesting (in my opinion) and it isn't bad. It's just another way to play.

For example: you can save resources till the labor camp showed up but meanwhile everyone are scoring points faster than you. And since the trade tile is not restrictive you can get coins for paying the cost of the labor camp to the other player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isra C.
Spain
Valdemoro, Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And by the way, the maximum of 22 points is per turn or per game?
And if it's per game, how we can track that number?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
israperrillo wrote:
And by the way, the maximum of 22 points is per turn or per game?
And if it's per game, how we can track that number?

Per Turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Di Silvio
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to thank Andrei Novac for listening to the community and giving explanations and fixes for the game. Since I saw Praetor I was super excited. It's a game I want to love, because it's full of excellent ideas, and it would be a pity to waste all this good elements.

anovac wrote:
1. Limited Market

When activating a Market with a Worker, a player may perform a maximum number of sales and purchases equal to the experience of that Worker. A sale is giving away of one resource (Wood, Stone, Marble, Weapon) for Gold and a purchase is giving away Gold for one Resource.

For example, a player activated the Market with a Worker with 2 experience. He sales 2 Stones for 6 Gold and purchased 2 Wood for 4 Gold.

This solution is very elegant and I like it a lot. So much that I think it should be the official rule of the market.

anovac wrote:
3. Game length

For a shorter game, modify the setup as follows:
- before creating the Wall Tiles stack remove 5 random Wall Tiles from the game
- do not reveal the remove tiles to the players OR reveal the removed tiles to all the players and keep them visible for the rest of the game
- the rest of the game rules apply.

I really like this idea a lot too. It puts some pressure on the players and creates a more tense experience. Yet I have a question here: Removing 5 tiles means that in the base game there's a pile of 9 wall tiles. If I have also the Promo Pack and the additional 2 wall tiles, should I remove 5 or 7 of them for the shorter game?

anovac wrote:
2. Unassigned Labor Camp

When a Labor Camp tile is revealed, place it in the city (the first player decides its placement). This tile remains without an owner until the end of the game. And player may activate the tile by paying the required resources to the bank. The rest of the rules concerning the Labor Camp apply.

Good enough, but I think this would create some confusion, because Labor Camp and the Academy should work in the same way.

I know I have no experience in playtesting, but still I'd like to share an idea that I like. Maybe both tiles could be build by players, so that they count in the number of building you have (-> Colosseum, Curia and Temple of Apollo), but the rule for them is: Once every turn each player, including the owner, can pay the cost to the bank to activate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlasDemigod wrote:
Yet I have a question here: Removing 5 tiles means that in the base game there's a pile of 9 wall tiles. If I have also the Promo Pack and the additional 2 wall tiles, should I remove 5 or 7 of them for the shorter game?

In this case, you should remove 7 Wall tiles from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Kearney
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm quite new to board games and I bought a copy of Praetor last week, but I have yet to play it. Do you recommend implementing all the variants for a better experience, or are these variants better suited for advanced/experienced players? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kearneycation wrote:
I'm quite new to board games and I bought a copy of Praetor last week, but I have yet to play it. Do you recommend implementing all the variants for a better experience, or are these variants better suited for advanced/experienced players? Thanks!

Implementing the variants (but maybe not all of them) is highly recommended for a better and smoother experience with the game!!! They will protect the newer players from the experienced players taking advantage of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Praetor with my kids today, without any of these variants ...

The winning move by my 10-year-old son came as a result of him earning 72 gold in one move, and using the market to purchase a whole bunch of weapons and marble ...

Yes, the errata and variants are needed, but the game does not break without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
GalaGalaxia wrote:
I played Praetor with my kids today, without any of these variants ...

The winning move by my 10-year-old son came as a result of him earning 72 gold in one move, and using the market to purchase a whole bunch of weapons and marble ...

Yes, the errata and variants are needed, but the game does not break without them.

Glad you had a great game with your kids.

How did your son make 72 gold in one move ? Seems like you might be assuming all red tiles yield based on experience. Only the resource tiles work like this ( plus the variant Market )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think the amended rules haven't gone far enough. You should have to give up your materials when using the temple action. It doesn't make any sense from a thematic point of view. I go to the temple, make a sacrifice of my work and then I take them back. Then head back to the temple and do it all again, yeah I think the Gods would know that you have brought the same items from last time.

You can make it that the action of the temple is a maintenance cost, you are giving up your materials to ensure that the temple remains intact. Maybe have a rule that if the temple doesn't get activated on a turn the owner will lose points or the entire playing group will lose points and if it has lost a set amount of points, it falls into ruins and is removed from the game. I would make it so you can get as many points as you want, but you have to give up the goods. This tile really makes no sense in its current incarnation.

It's a shame as I really like the game but a few things just don't work and make the entire experience a forgettable one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoss Man
msg tools
mbmbmb
The wording describing the limitations on the market is ambiguous...

anovac wrote:

(emphasis mine)

Is the limitation based on worker experience intended to limit the variety of goods that may be exchanged in a single action, or the quantity of each individual good? (Or both ?)

The provided example doesn't really to anything to clarify the ambiguity since it satisfies all possible interpretations...

anovac wrote:

To clarify the intention, please indicate if either of the following turn descriptions are accurate examples of using the limited market...

Player1 has 50 weapons but no other gold or resources. He sends a worker with 3 experience to the market and:
- sells 40 weapons for gold
- buys 7 marble with gold
- buys 7 wood with gold
...but he can not purchase any stone because in this action he has already done 1 sale + 2 purchases = 3 total transactions == his worker's experience level.

vs

Player2 has a huge amount of gold but no resources. He sends a worker with 3 experience to the market and:
- purchases 3 weapons with gold
- purchases 3 marble with gold
- purchases 3 stone with gold
- purchases 3 wood with gold
...but he can not purchase more then 3 of any individual resources because quantity 3 == his worker's experience level.

?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Channy
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think the answer is simpler. 2 sales means two individual resource being sold, same type or not. Same idea with purchases. So 2 stones being sold is 2 sales and 2 wood purchased is two purchases. The 2 exp of the worker matches the number of buy and the number of sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hossman wrote:
The wording describing the limitations on the market is ambiguous...
The provided example doesn't really to anything to clarify the ambiguity since it satisfies all possible interpretations...

Do we have an answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope the following example will clarify this variant...

Worker with 3 experience enters the market. Player sells 2 stone and 1 weapon (limit of selling reached, 3 exchanges) for gold. Player also buys 2 wood and 1 marble reaching the limit of possible buys.

Each resource cube (not type) represents one exchange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.