Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Denhup
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can any one come up with an answer as to what happens if a player cashes out all their cards in mid-play: how do they get another card???

Or, do they just keep building, allowing others to cash in off their builds, knowing they are going to finish dead last becuase they have no more cards to cash in?

Nothing in the rules...

HELP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PAYDIRT wrote:
Can any one come up with an answer as to what happens if a player cashes out all their cards in mid-play: how do they get another card???

Or, do they just keep building, allowing others to cash in off their builds, knowing they are going to finish dead last becuase they have no more cards to cash in?

Nothing in the rules...

HELP!

Hmm... I'm not sure what you mean by "mid-play".

A turn goes:

1) Place wall
2) Place houses
3) If the wall closed a city, score the city. To score, you may:
3a) Play one card, and then take one card (net 0)
3b) Play two cards, and then take one card (net -1)
3c) Decline to score, discard a card, and take two cards (net +1)

Note: I am ignoring the merging of two houses into a palace, or merging of cities.

So the only way to end up with 0 lower your cards is if you continually take the 3b option. In this case, yes you have 0 cards and there is no way to acquire more. Even in this case you will eventually have only 1 card and then have to choose 3a or 3c. You cannot get to 0 cards.

Cards are a "resource" in this game. You have to make tough decisions during the game regarding their play. You may want to score two cards but this is not always a good choice. Similarly all cards can score some points, but sometimes scoring no points and discarding is the correct choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
You always get "one" card at the end of the scoring cycle. You will never run out of cards. Every turn you will have at least "one" card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael,

Can you point me to where you see that in the rules? Are you going by the "Playing the game" section "Score"?

In the "detailed" Score section:

Now the players may score: beginning on with the player who placed the wall completing the city and continuing in clockwise order, each player must place 1 or 2 cards from his hand on the table. Each player scores as he places cards. He then discards the card(s) face-up on to the discard stack (next to the supply) and draws 1 card from the supply, adding it to his hand. This means that when a player plays 2 cards, he reduces his hand size.

It then talks about the discard options.

So if you continually take the "play 2 card option" you will eventually run yourself out of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jearles wrote:

Now the players may score: beginning on with the player who placed the wall completing the city and continuing in clockwise order, each player must place 1 or 2 cards from his hand on the table. Each player scores as he places cards. He then discards the card(s) face-up on to the discard stack (next to the supply) and draws 1 card from the supply, adding it to his hand.

You answered your own question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK... I am not trying to be argumentative, honest meeple:

I just had a bottle of wine with my wife, so maybe I am being dunce. In my semi-inebriated state
Quote:
playing two cards to score and drawing one card
equals a -1 card deficit.

NEVER MIND...

Some times I get a little too caught up in the pure math. Yes, eventually you may play your last 2 cards, and then get to 1 card.

You cannot then play 2 cards. Doh! blush

My apologies... you cannot get to 0 cards.

Erm... What Michael said.

Where is my crow dessert?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ok, Listen.

Round A: You have 2 cards left in your hand. So you score two cards. After scoring those 2 cards, you take 1 card from the deck and put it into your hand. Now you have 1 card.

Round B: You have 1 card in your hand. So you score 1 card. After scoring that 1 card, you take 1 card from the deck and put it into your hand. Now you have 1 card.

Round C: You have 1 card in your hand. So you score 1 card. After scoring that 1 card, you take 1 card from the deck and put it into your hand. Now you have 1 card.

Round D: You have 1 card in your hand. So you score 1 card. After scoring that 1 card, you take 1 card from the deck and put it into your hand. Now you have 1 card.

Round E: You have 1 card in your hand. So you score 1 card. After scoring that 1 card, you take 1 card from the deck and put it into your hand. Now you have 1 card.

etc. etc etc.

See how you will always have at least one card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just caught it and edited my comment... I apologize again.

Thank-you for your detailed example... here have some GG.

Lesson of the day... never try and help someone after wine with the wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, we were playing the other night and one of the guys asked, what happens if you get down to 0 cards. Not thinking I said then they would be stupid and deserved not to have any cards. It wasn't until the second time we played and someone ask that question that I did the math and explained that if you kept doing it, you would get down to one card and then you could only play one card, then would draw one card. So, you could get down to one card but never to 0 (after drawing again).

But, I do have to admit to first thought everyone had, was that you could. Just thought I'd tell the story so that you'd see that it's not just the wine clouding your thoughts. It's some how what the initial thoughts are of many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jearles wrote:
I just caught it and edited my comment... I apologize again.

Thank-you for your detailed example... here have some GG.

Lesson of the day... never try and help someone after wine with the wife.

No problem..Hey I get rules wrong all the time, stone sober at that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Denhup
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all great stuff guys, thanks! What might have happened was that I may have inadvertently forgotten to pick up that "one card" after I discarded my last two cards for the points! Hence no card when it was my turn again. (Scary: that happened with no alcohol!)

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.