Subject: Combined base sets! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Gallegos
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Anyone else in this predicament?

I have always played with Heroes Unite and the normal DC set combined! I think it offers much more variety in strategy.

However-- Now that I've read through the rule book on Crisis (Got in in the mail ten minutes ago ) I'm realizing playing with a combined set like this might be a problem.

The game timer is dependent on the main deck size, and SHOULD be constant by the amount of cards in the DC base set.

So now im set with a problem of separating the two sets, which isn't
a --problem-- per-say, just inconvenient. Or I just count out random cards for the main deck.

How do you guys feel about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dragonmas582 wrote:

I have always played with Heroes Unite and the normal DC set combined! I think it offers much more variety in strategy.

However-- Now that I've read through the rule book on Crisis (Got in in the mail ten minutes ago ) I'm realizing playing with a combined set like this might be a problem.

The game timer is dependent on the main deck size, and SHOULD be constant by the amount of cards in the DC base set.

a --problem-- per-say, just inconvenient. Or I just count out random cards for the main deck.

One of the option rules for combining and playing with both set mix up is to alternate your game with two separate decks. So you can play two game with each half of the combined deck. The second game will have a little more knowledge about what you might expect.

Or you can be like me, and try to combine the two set into one by swapping cards for cards (Well, almost. The ratio is not the same for both game, so I ended up with s slightly bigger deck)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm already using a variant to combine the two decks while keeping the main deck the same size. You can find the threads on that in Heroes Unite. I'll need to make a card count to see if I have EXACTLY the right card count, but otherwise, I'm good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Brady
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Dragonmas582 wrote:

At Cryptozoic, if we want to play with mixed sets... we generally mix all the cards up from the first two (and future!) sets and then count out about 115 or so cards to be our main deck. Sometimes you get some scary games with a lot of Villain cards but for the most part it's worked out pretty cool.

Otherwise, I'd suggest making a deck list of your favorite cards but make sure it's somewhere between 110-140. If you go above 140 it actually gets fairly easy, though we've made our own weird variants that use over that amount. We have never gone over 150 as far as I can remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Gallegos
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
That sounds like what I will do, our competitive games work like that anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall my rulebook perusal correctly, it recommends that if you wish to customize the decks, use 25 cards per player. With 1-3 player games this is a little small, so I'd say no smaller than 100 cards. But just a random 100+ cards seems a little random for my tastes. You don't get as much of the synergy you normally would.

I usually keep my main decks separate. If I want to play using both sets, we use both decks separately, using 2 line ups. With the rules that A) you can only buy/gain/affect one line-up per turn, and B) when you buy/gain a card from the line-up, destroy the card in the second line-up in the same spot. There was a file about this variant in one of the forums.

I'd say for that, if you wanted to use the new main deck cards as well just mix 16 into each of the main decks. this variant wouldn't work very well in Crisis mode, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Brady
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Stryyder wrote:
If I recall my rulebook perusal correctly, it recommends that if you wish to customize the decks, use 25 cards per player. With 1-3 player games this is a little small, so I'd say no smaller than 100 cards. But just a random 100+ cards seems a little random for my tastes. You don't get as much of the synergy you normally would.

I usually keep my main decks separate. If I want to play using both sets, we use both decks separately, using 2 line ups. With the rules that A) you can only buy/gain/affect one line-up per turn, and B) when you buy/gain a card from the line-up, destroy the card in the second line-up in the same spot. There was a file about this variant in one of the forums.

I'd say for that, if you wanted to use the new main deck cards as well just mix 16 into each of the main decks. this variant wouldn't work very well in Crisis mode, though.
If it were competitive, I'd agree it's too random. For Crisis, however, it's fun to not know what you're working with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryon Hake
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that this Crisis set was designed to work best with the original base game, which contained 33 Villains, 32 Heroes, 28 Equipment, 16 Super Powers, and 5 Locations. What we did was mix the base set with Heroes Unite and then removed duplicate cards (and a few of our least favorite unique cards) until our count for each card type was the same as the above. You could do that, and then add the new hero deck cards from this expansion and you will be good to go.

Another option is to count the amount of each card type AFTER merging the base set with this Crisis set, and then adding in Heroes Unite and discarding duplicates until you are back down to the original counts. That help keep you from including too many duplicates of the new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RichBrady wrote:
Dragonmas582 wrote:

At Cryptozoic, if we want to play with mixed sets... we generally mix all the cards up from the first two (and future!) sets and then count out about 115 or so cards to be our main deck. Sometimes you get some scary games with a lot of Villain cards but for the most part it's worked out pretty cool.

I think this is the best option for balance of variety and ease of setup. You're never guaranteed to get all the cards you're looking for any given game anyway. For me it's a fun casual game with opportunities to pull off fun combos. It's not a low luck deep thinker, cutthroat, display my superiority, win at all costs kind of game. I enjoy working with what's available. I can understand a competitive tournament being more structured, however.

By the way, I'd still love to see a Cryptozoic video of the staff playing a full game of DCDBG! Come on guys, do it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Berman
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I've been meaning to try for combined sets.

After we decide on our superheroes, we would go through the combined decks and add all the villains equipment and superpowers that apply to our specific super heroes.

And then fill in as needed to make the deck size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Evans
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are currently trying out the combined Original set + Heroes United set up found here: (by Dormammu)
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15137109#15137109

So far it's quite fun.

We plan to simply integrate Crisis into this custom/combined deck and see how it goes. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I built a custom main deck this past weekend, but I discovered that I actually could not beat one of the crisis cards.

Spoiler text for the crisis name, its requirement, and the resulting main deck construction lesson:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Final Countdown requires the players to destroy one card for each cost 2-7 in order to complete. My main deck 6s and 7s were only villains, which don't work for the crisis.

Other than that, every other crisis should be playable if you keep all card types represented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrEris wrote:
One thing I've been meaning to try for combined sets.

After we decide on our superheroes, we would go through the combined decks and add all the villains equipment and superpowers that apply to our specific super heroes.

And then fill in as needed to make the deck size.
That's what I've been doing so far in my solo games.

I was playing as Batman, so first I separated all the cards by type, then I weeded out all the Heroes, Villains, Equipment, Super Powers, Locations, & Super Villains that I least wanted to see show up in a Batman themed game, until I got down to the correct count of each type.

I'm ready to move on now, so I just "reset" my deck for Superman.

It's a little time consuming to set up, although I actually enjoy the process, but I like the more focused theme it yields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls