7 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: Alternate Timelines 1: 2009/Into Darkness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Hewson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
During an intense period of boredom I started making some cards for a few of Star Treks many alternate timelines. First off is JJTrek.

The Enterprise

I'm glossing over some of the parts of the reboot universe in order to retain balance and some degree of sanity so this particular Enterprise shares stats with the refit Constitution class (I've never liked the random up-scaling done to the reboot Enterprise) so it has a small boost over the TOS Constitution.

We also have an accompanying tech upgrade to represent the massive "FIRE ALL THE THINGS" volleys of firepower the reboot starfleet ships employ.

The Enterprise Crew

First off is Captain Pike. Of all the characters I saw the least reason to downgrade him from his TOS card so his basic stats are the same. He now gains a "sacrifice" ability to mimic his actions in 2009 and also turn on Kirk and Spock as captain.

These reboot versions of Kirk and Spock cannot be purchased as captains but in the event of you losing your captain, or your captain taking a hit to their skill value, they step in and take over (the mechanic is mostly stolen from the upcoming first officer card).

Young Kirk doesnt justify our existing 8-9 skill values but hes still Jim Kirk so has to have something cool so here's the luckiest man in starfleet:

Science officer Spock provides a defensive buff when you've been scanning (yeah, I noticed the typo just after I uploaded):

Mccoy, having discovered immortality, can restore dead captains and crew to play:

Scotty lets you clear auxiliary power and un-disable an upgrade without spending an action (particularly relevant vs the Vengeance as You'll see ):

Chekov and Sulu both provide passive abilities that activate if you manage to hit the enemy with every dice or go a turn without damage:

Uhura interferes with enemy ship actions:

And lastly Carol Marcus can pull you out of a bad position, especially if you've found yourself in a massive ships forward arc.

The Narada

The Narada is presented here as a dual faction Romulan and Borg ship (I kinda like the stolen Borg tech explanation from the comics and STO). Its only intended to have a 90 degree forward firing arc (I havent made bases for these yet, its a shame its not represented on the card, im tempted to put the arcs under the ship logo in the bottom right) to somewhat offset its MASSIVE firepower. You also have access to Borg upgrades and the regenerate action.

Nero further adds to the ships firepower and grants you an additional reroll if you throw everything against a single target.

And lastly Nero's favorite toy...Red Matter. Its a tad tricky representing a black hole machine without being overpowered or pointless. I havent made the "Singularity Token" itself yet....im estimating itll be slightly larger than a planet token in size with the "inner circle" being about objective marker sized.

It's a bit wall of texty I know but I think it covers roughly what it needs to.

The Vengeance

As with the new Enterprise I've ignored the up-scaling so this now sits somewhere around the Galaxy class in terms of size. This is a 180 forward, 90 rear arc ship. It got a pretty nasty attack and ability on it but it does lack any slots for crew upgrades as a small downsize. Also as a cross faction Fed/Indy ship with 5 attack dice were this ever to be real we all know it would end up being broken as hell and become a personal flagship for all 3 Khan cards (see further down).

Admiral Murphy-Sorry Admiral MARCUS, isnt particularly impressive but does do nice things on any ship you want to use as a "Torpedo Boat".

And lastly we have Khan. I wanted this guy to be good (really good, like "buy the expansion for this card and the rest is a bonus good). This particular Khan didnt to much in combat (shot up the Enterprise then got blown up by Spock) BUT engaged in a great sum of precombat shenanigans that ive tried to represent here. I'm not sure if this is too good or not but it seemed to be a fun way to represent sabotaging a ship before time.

Coming next time: Yesterdays Enterprise and Endgame, including a new card type and an attempt to make a Picard card that just MIGHT get played over the normal one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Smith
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Re: Alternate Timelines 1 - 2009/Into Darkness
Nasty stuff mate. Like it alot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bezzant

Utah
msg tools
I like them. Look great. Khan is wicked tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work though I'd have a hard time justifying a 1 captain skill for Kirk. He's such a pale shadow of the "real" Kirk (or even the mirror universe Kirk).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Hewson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
carbon_dragon wrote:
Nice work though I'd have a hard time justifying a 1 captain skill for Kirk. He's such a pale shadow of the "real" Kirk (or even the mirror universe Kirk).

I know, it bugs me when it would have been so easy for them to fix. Had they made Kirk pikes XO at the end of the first movie and set the second 2 or 3 years later things would have at least made a little sense (granted still not enough but at least a concession to starfleet command not being filled with utter pillocks) but for gameplay reasons you have to give him a reasonable skill. Although his ability does lean a little towards raw talent + blind luck rather than skill+training.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. Added to Collected Expansion Threads for Attack Wing (aka Pimp your AW).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dannyhewson wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

I know, it bugs me when it would have been so easy for them to fix. Had they made Kirk pikes XO at the end of the first movie and set the second 2 or 3 years later things would have at least made a little sense (granted still not enough but at least a concession to starfleet command not being filled with utter pillocks) but for gameplay reasons you have to give him a reasonable skill. Although his ability does lean a little towards raw talent + blind luck rather than skill+training.

I kind of like the Vengeance and some of the other ships. Even the Enterprise is interesting in an overdone sort of way. But where most of the characters aren't TOO far of the mark (McCoy, Sulu, Chekov) some are so far from character that you wonder if they even watched the original show (Kirk, Spock). I like Uhura's more assertive character and Scotty's playful Simon Peg mode, but Kirk ... ugh. The original Kirk was thoughtful, smart, and had a sense of humor. Tough but capable. This Kirk is, let's face it, a jackass.

I like the ensign becomes captain trope as well as the next guy, but it has to have some plot behind it -- the ensign and his ship is lost and the rest of the officers are killed, etc... How stupid does Starfleet have to be to put him in charge?

Khan had the potential of being interesting. They gave him reasonable motivation. He didn't just try to take over the ship that rescued him, he had real reason to get back at the Feds. Think how interesting it would have been if he hadn't betrayed Kirk and had become part of the universe. Wow we wouldn't have seen that coming. Khan as a rival captain, rising through the ranks on merit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.