Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on creating a soundtrack to be played while playing Dead of Winter. I finished it, and tried to upload it to the files section, but it was too large. I've put it on my Dropbox account.

Ver. 1.0

This is a THREE PART (totaling roughly 2 hour 35 minutes) MP3 audio file to play while playing Dead of Winter.

Download and use ALL THREE parts, in order, when playing.

Part 1 starts with an Intro "story" (about 4 minutes) followed by the sound of a continuous winter wind, with different related sound clips mixed into it every 5-10 minutes. Parts 2 and 3 are more wind and sound effects. If the game runs longer than 2.5 hours, repeat part 2 and/or 3.

Dropbox Link

There is also a "Full" version, which is all three parts edited together into one file.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for sharing this!

Oh, and since they've announced that the next crossroads game will be Lost in Space, you'll get right on that, yes? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't listen to the entire intro. Creepy as hell. Well done good sir. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
jimmcmahon wrote:
I've been working on creating a soundtrack to be played while playing Dead of Winter. I finished it, and tried to upload it to the files section, but it was too large. I've put it on my Dropbox account.

Ver. 1.0

This is a THREE PART (totaling roughly 2 hour 35 minutes) MP3 audio file to play while playing Dead of Winter.

Download and use ALL THREE parts, in order, when playing.

Part 1 starts with an Intro "story" (about 4 minutes) followed by the sound of a continuous winter wind, with different related sound clips mixed into it every 5-10 minutes. Parts 2 and 3 are more wind and sound effects. If the game runs longer than 2.5 hours, repeat part 2 and/or 3.

Dropbox Link

There is also a "Full" version, which is all three parts edited together into one file.

You sir, are amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryuu wrote:
Thank you so much for sharing this!

You're welcome!

Ryuu wrote:
Oh, and since they've announced that the next crossroads game will be Lost in Space, you'll get right on that, yes? whistle

Hmmm... Considering that just over a week ago I knew less than nothing about how to mix audio or use Audacity, and there will be plenty of time to practice, and since I own this:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

who knows...

kelann08 wrote:
I couldn't listen to the entire intro. Creepy as hell. Well done good sir. Well done.

I don't know if the story I formed in any way matches up with any DoW backstory, but I'm happy with it. Sorry you couldn't listen to the whole thing... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Crap! It would be awesome if you had a track for each of the story bits in the rulebook!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
Holy Crap! It would be awesome if you had a track for each of the story bits in the rulebook!

Hmmm.....

Unlikely though, as all of the vocals in the intro (save 1) were taken from a professionally produced sound effects library.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just listened to the beginning of the first one. That is INTENSE!

zombie thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad B
United States
Van Buren
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Deus Ex
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job, Jim. Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Breden
United States
Independence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Just wow. This is spectacular. Thank you so much for this work!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiff Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to thank you for this soundtrack, we've had it in the background on our last 2 games. My husband runs a "crackling fire" video on his iPad, on the dining room table, while the winds howl through the stereo system in the living room.

We will be using this soundtrack for all our DoW games in the future, and I am thinking of burning it to CD to take with us to game nights! The occasional "other" noises really add to the game - they startle us mid-turn, or punctuate our various actions, really well.

Maria was just about to search through the boxes inside the gas station when "pop-pop!" - she hears gunshots in the distance. Her hand stops mid-air as she freezes for a moment, hearing nothing but the wind... Oh. Must have been the Sheriff over at the Police Station... or was it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tiffany. You're quite welcome!

Unfortunately, it's much too long for a CD, unless you either a) burn one section only (effective, but loses a bit of variety in the "other" noises) or b) burn the files onto a CD and have a player that can play MP3 files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Waite
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Thank you so much for sharing this! Can't wait to add play it in the background for our game tomorrow night. I listened to the intro but it's so creepy I had to turn it off until my husband gets home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim A
Australia
flag msg tools
Just played it with the Last of Us soundtrack in the background:
https://soundcloud.com/sony-soundtracks/sets/the-last-of-us

You can find an extended OST on Youtube too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q-cY8-JZUM

So good....

Very excited to try Jim's sound-effects-based soundtrack next time. Awesome work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hirakatachick wrote:
Thank you so much for sharing this! Can't wait to add play it in the background for our game tomorrow night. I listened to the intro but it's so creepy I had to turn it off until my husband gets home.

How did it go?

timiyay wrote:
Just played it with the Last of Us soundtrack in the background:
https://soundcloud.com/sony-soundtracks/sets/the-last-of-us

You can find an extended OST on Youtube too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q-cY8-JZUM

So good....

Very excited to try Jim's sound-effects-based soundtrack next time. Awesome work!

Cool! Nothing says you can't play both at the same time if you want!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Kernic
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm definitly going to use this tonight, but while I did a short preview I felt like it had a lot of white noise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalecgos wrote:
I'm definitly going to use this tonight, but while I did a short preview I felt like it had a lot of white noise?

Most of the audio is that of a winter wind blowing in the background, so there won't be a lot of obvious sound. After the intro, there are occasional sounds that are louder. Without giving anything away to spoil the suprise of listening the first time ( ) there are some bits of dialog, some environmental sounds, some sound effects, and so on.

But yeah, the majority is just wind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Carron
Canada
Thamesville
Ontario
flag msg tools
Downloaded this tonight and wanted to give you a thumbs up for the work you put into this. Great work Jim. Looking forward to future work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
Scattle - Knock Knock.mp3
badge
mbmbmbmb
Great job !

The intro is a bit long, but maybe that's just me.

I have added your ambient soundscape to my geeklist ►Background music for board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
Great job !

Thanks!

Kyur wrote:
The intro is a bit long, but maybe that's just me.

My thought was that I was telling a small story, and that is just the way it fell into place. I also knew that it was a little long, which is why I made the intro a separate file; it could be played once, then skipped if people felt it was unnecessary.

Kyur wrote:
I have added your ambient soundscape to my geeklist ►Background music for board games.

Thanks. I didn't even know that list existed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Jensen
msg tools
Great job, Jim! surprise I suggest playing this when you start Winter 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hm6a-brYCY

I have made a collaborative Spotify-playlist with Ambient, Instrumental music for Dead of Winter. Feel free to use and add music - I might delete some if it doesn't fit my taste (sorry, in advance).

http://open.spotify.com/user/113187076/playlist/0lFUMQQCzHne...

Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.