Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A group of us learnt this from scratch yesterday, with me reading out the rules and us agreeing on how to play the game. Afterwards a few of us spoke to someone who'd played the game before and we found that we'd perhaps been playing the wrangling rules wrong...

The way we did it, was that the first player to board went at the top near the mast... they usually sacrificed extra turns on the board for getting more pirates on to the boat. other players went in further down etc.

We then wrangled from the ship end, so the player who'd been out on the board longest (and hence boarded last) had to roll first and was always at a disadvantage compared to the players that had boarded early.
This may have made the wrangling a bit unbalanced in favour
of the player that boarded early, but definitely served to balance the fact that the one boarding early was sacrificing turns that could be spent on the board earning victory points.
We thought this worked really well and were completely surprised when Nick told us the wrangling should be done from the mast down.

So, is this definitely wrong? Does anyone know what the original German rules say? If it's wrong, in the light of how well it worked for us, perhaps this should it be a game variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First aboard the ship rolls first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first aboard rolls first. This is important because those who go on-board later win ties against those who went on-board be fore you.

If you are playing a two-player game, the "guest wrangler" gets the top spot and you roll for the imaginary player to set the starting number for the other players to tie or beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Alvarado
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

but it is your game and if you want to play it that way you can.

It kinda makes more sense why players would Pay a coin and rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Just played the game for the first time. I liked a lot of the mechanics, but the wrangling almost killed the game for me.

a) thematically, it makes absolutely no sense that boarding the boat last gives you better odds for getting a good bunk. As the first poster here noted, it also makes for more of a strategic decision if you have to decide between rapidly rushing to the ship for a good bunk or spending more time getting points on the board.

b) A bit of dice-rolling is ok, but this can be a HUGE AMOUNT of dice-rolling, with no strategic input or decision making whatsoever. Just roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll. Also, what with the luck of the dice, in our game someone (me) who moved one pirate onto the ship last beat out someone else who moved six pirates there early. Frankly, Chutes and Ladders would be more fun for me.

On the last round of our game, a captain whose only available route was unprofitable led to all three players sending seven pirates back to the ship. Faced with the prospect of perhaps twenty minutes of dreary rolls to determine something that could just as easily have been settled by one, we unanimously decided to all skip the bunk points for that turn.

My variant would be to skip the randomness of the wrangle entirely: most pirates gets the best bed, with a tie going to whichever faction got there first. That would diminish the value of rum somewhat, but oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.