Subject: An Education in Lava Flow rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Olsson
United States
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
I really do have a wonderful life.
At lunch today, Stephen and I broke out Der Untergang con Pompeii or a light lunch to occupy our hour. After recent games with VuduJoie and Malloc in July had taught me the importance of having the rules to lay out the deck correctly, we had no trouble setting up the two-player game.

This was Stephen's first game of Der Untergang, so we took a little longer than we will in the next game. With the eight cards placed before the 79 AD card came up, Stephen had the hang of aiming for the buildings closest to the exits. In round 2 as we placed relatives, he was working on filling up the gray buildings closest to the exits as well. We had an even split of Omen cards and Stephen did better with drawing cards that gave him more relatives than I did, so going into the lava tile round, I believe Stephen had the advantage.

I managed to win in the end (18 to 15) because I had played the game enough to know that I could not save everyone. I would try to get the odd citizen out of the way of a lava flow, and in the two-player game you can have a lot more control of that since you are placing every other tile, but in the end I just tried to move the citizens in the higher number groups first to get them closer to the doors and to stage the exits as best I can. You cannot save them all (well, I suppose you can, but it would have to be a cooperative game).

I am already looking forward to our next play of Der Untergang von Pompeii !
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.