GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,890 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Chess Redone? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an article about "fixing" chess. Thoughts?
http://www.popmatters.com/post/184641-fixing-chess-one-game-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No! Chess is chess. You can use various historical pieces to represent the originals, but the basic game of chess should remain the same as it has been for the last several thousand years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh... they call this a variant... but there are enough changes in this that it's a different game at this point. Interesting, but not chess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think chess is broken, except that some people have become really good at it and they way they play against each other might make it seem that way.

Chess 2 is not all that new in itself, and has such a horrendously generic name that it is easy to get buried amongst all the other chess variants. I'm not convinced that the different armies are all well balanced against each other, although they would make for dramatically different games with a lot of variety. I think I'd prefer something more like Shuuro when it comes to mixing up chess for the sake of variety, without getting bogged down with trying to remember so many new rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
FWIW there are zillions of chess variants...

We found Shogi to be quite excellent and more fun for us than modern Western chess.

For modern variants, Tile Chess and Alice Chess and Essentia are some cool ones I've enjoyed.

LINCSANDWINKS wrote:
No! Chess is chess. You can use various historical pieces to represent the originals, but the basic game of chess should remain the same as it has been for the last several thousand years.

"the same as it has been for the last several thousand years"?

(not sure if serious...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_chess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought is that there are few people as prone to self-promotion as "Famed Game Designer" David Sirlin.

My second thought is that the last way I would have tried to "fix" chess is to introduce bluffing into it! yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:

My second thought is that the last way I would have tried to "fix" chess is to introduce bluffing into it! yuk

This.

In addition, when I did check out Chess 2 about a year and a half ago, there were still major imbalances in the armies. I don't think Sirlin's testgroup is good enough at chess-like games to really get the balance right, though I'd be pleased to be proven wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I love it when a newbie encounters a game, doesn't really understand it and then goes on to propose fixes to things that don't need fixing.

You know, when people who lost a game blame it on the game's 'randomness' or 'faulty mechanics' and propose 'solutions' to what they see as problems. While people who understand that game see the randomness as something that can be controlled and the faulty mechanics as actually functioning well. And recognising that the proposed 'solutions' will make the game far less interesting than it is.

If you want chess to be less about memorisation, try the variant that Fisher suggested decades ago: players can place their pieces on the last row in any place on that last row that they want. Suddenly opening theory is worthless and it all comes down to skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of chess variants...

Wish someone would figure out a way to make a marketable Klin Zhaset (Klingon Chess) soblue

While we're at it make a Kotra board as well (Cardassian backgammon). There's no entry for it here on BGG (there's a Kotra, but it's not the game I'm talking about)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree that any major change to Chess either hurts the game, or results in a game that is not "Chess". Like it or not, centuries of study of the tactical situation in the opening, or Middle or End Game theory are part of ehat makes the game what it is.

If someone has issues with Chess, their best option is to either play one ofthe multitude of "Chess-like" games out there (Stratego is a great option for someone who prefers asymmetry and imperfect information), or to design a completely new game with all the desirable properties of Chess, but non of the undesirable ones. Then be prepared to "patch" the hell out of it once people start giving it some serious study and reveal ways in which the game is not balanced.

But please don't call it "Chess".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:

Sirlin's an over-inflated self-promoter (not for the first or I'm sure last time) who is trying to push not just another chess variant but a very poor one. He'll get nowhere with it. Chess has its flaws, but it didn't get to where it is without some seriously good features that it evolved.

And that's from someone who essentially doesn't play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
My first thought is that there are few people as prone to self-promotion as "Famed Game Designer" David Sirlin.

I hadn't seen that when I wrote my comment. Larry is essentially making my points before me and better. Oh, well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess is - some special exception rules aside - a brilliant design and doesn't need to be fixed.

It's no Go, though.

Tangent: Are there themed Go sets? replace the stones with little army figures and keep score with some sort of over-designed 'casualty wheel'? I've not seen them around, and Go is a tricky game to google.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:

If you look at the games he has designed (they are pretty fun games!), you'll notice he doesn't like perfect symmetry in games. He considers them a flaw.

I think chess is perfect as is. If I wanted a more asymmetrical chess like game, I would pull out my Navia Drapt game. If I wanted to change up what the chess pieces do, I would play Chaos Chess.

His answer sounds like the chess variant that Sheldon from Big Bang Theory came up with---unnecessary complications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
If you want chess to be less about memorisation, try the variant that Fisher suggested decades ago: players can place their pieces on the last row in any place on that last row that they want. Suddenly opening theory is worthless and it all comes down to skill.

Not quite; Chess 960 uses a randomized symmetric setup.

(I wonder if you are possibly mixing it up with the quasi-chess-variant Arimaa, which does use player-choice setup for each side.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEpi9qAfRaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsaAkNXAzak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
russ wrote:
Not quite; Chess 960 uses a randomized symmetric setup.

(I wonder if you are possibly mixing it up with the quasi-chess-variant Arimaa, which does use player-choice setup for each side.)

Not mixing it up. I heard about Fisher Random, but clearly not enough. I thought that both parties could place their pieces stratego-like, each player without seeing the other player's deployment.

Funny, though, that Chess 960 has been developed before Chess 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.