GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,869 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
66 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Pax Porfiriana» Forums » General

Subject: Custom Playmat for Pax Porfiriana rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: Final cut uploaded in files section here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/106612/pax-porfiriana-play...

Preview:

Print at zazzle.com and zazzle.de, poster size 28" x 20", or anywhere else that can accommodate anything larger. InkedPlaymets.com will print it on their two-player mat but you will see 2" of dark space on top and bottom (make sure to send them a note in the comments when ordering). Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hola Hacendados! I wanted a map style playmat for my copy of Pax but I wanted something that looked old. The map style playmats available didn't have the look I wanted so I decided to make my own. Let me know what you guys think. I still need to create a Prestige point track at the bottom in the open space and maybe add a pic of Diaz. I'd especially like some feedback on the map images I used. One is from 1860 and the other is from 1890. I know the game starts in 1890 but I love the look of the 1860 one. Plus the 1860 one has little text details that the 1890 one doesn't. The final size will be 28" x 20" for upload to Zazzle.com.

The ovals will be labeled "Money" and "Unrest" in the final cut.

1860 background:

1860 map detail:

1890 background:

Also, it would be awesome if Phil or Matt could chime in about the Sierra Madre Games text I inserted. I put this on the map because I want my copy to look nice and professional-like but when it's complete, I'd like to upload the file for others to use. Here is the part I am talking about.

If they would like me to remove it before uploading, I will happily do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Playmat design - Feedback welcome
Looks great! I'd be tempted to reverse the order of the market though, have zero at the left and 16 at the right, because it seems it should go from cheaper to more expensive, left-to-right.

But that might be just me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really good! But I agree with Wendell. Market would be better going from left to right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and if the market direction is switched, then so should the regime, headline, discard and draw piles also
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinimini wrote:
Oh, and if the market direction is switched, then so should the regime, headline, discard and draw piles also

I can always make two versions, left-to-right and right-to-left.

Also, I adjusted the color of the border on the 1890 map from the ugly pink to more of a red.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my eye the border pops out a bit too much. In both versions, the original and the new one. Although you're right, the color is better in the newer version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TurquoiseKnight wrote:
Hola Hacendados! ...Also, it would be awesome if Phil or Matt could chime in about the Sierra Madre Games text I inserted. I put this on the map because I want my copy to look nice and professional-like but when it's complete, I'd like to upload the file for others to use.

I will let Matt speak for himself, but I approve the text and wish I had such a magnificent looking playmat for my Pax Porfiriana game. I would like to talk to you for designing a playmat for the up and coming Pax Renaissance game, also designed by me and Matt. Drop me a note at phileklund@gmail.com if interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both maps achieve what you were after and look really nice. You could probably put an image of Diaz at the bottom right and still have room for a prestige track at the bottom center.

That said, "top" and "bottom" and concerns about left/right or right/left market orientation were the first things that caught my eye. In the games I've played, we've sat around the market, not just on one side. Therefore, there is no top, bottom or "correct" market direction. And, for me, this is the chief thing I don't like about the playmat from a gameplay perspective -- that it has a top and bottom. It would like nice framed on a wall though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This looks phenomenal.

My only comment, beyond agreeing about the reverse layout of the market, is that perhaps the headline section should be bigger or look like splayed cards, if only because there is a need to splay those cards to also keep track of the current economy. (Alternatively, you could include a section with a little bear and bull so that players could use a token to track the current economy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
TurquoiseKnight wrote:
Hola Hacendados! ...Also, it would be awesome if Phil or Matt could chime in about the Sierra Madre Games text I inserted. I put this on the map because I want my copy to look nice and professional-like but when it's complete, I'd like to upload the file for others to use.

I will let Matt speak for himself, but I approve the text and wish I had such a magnificent looking playmat for my Pax Porfiriana game. I would like to talk to you for designing a playmat for the up and coming Pax Renaissance game, also designed by me and Matt. Drop me a note at phileklund@gmail.com if interested.

Wow! Thank you for the compliment and opportunity, Phil. I would be honored to create something for your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TurquoiseKnight wrote:
Tinimini wrote:

I can always make two versions, left-to-right and right-to-left.

Also, I adjusted the color of the border on the 1890 map from the ugly pink to more of a red.

Fantastic playmat. Don't really think you need two versions. Everyone I know plays it with the zero market cards on the left. I'll second MScrivner's comments on the headline cards. They really do have to be splayed so you can see how close they are to triggering economic change.

Nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you need to splay the headlines?

If a bear is on top and you get another bear, it is depression. If it is depression and a bull is up and you get another bull, it is back to normal. Why splay? Will just make the pile messy.

Mat looks great by the way. I Zazzled another mat. Now I may have to print yours. Thanks for that....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P.S. When you make the prestige track, maybe put a place where each player can denote the two possible tracks they could increase by flipping. We use an extra cube for that. Makes the counting a bit easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:

If a bear is on top and you get another bear, it is depression. If it is depression and a bull is up and you get another bull, it is back to normal.

D'Oh! I haven't played in a few months and for some reason was thinking it was three bears but you're right it's just two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Gorgeous map. Does anyone have experience in having them made in Europe? Would be nice with some recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yowza, definitely thinking I want to get this made with Artscow, but I'll want to see pics of a finished product first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks superb, most visually appealing PaxPo playment I've seen yet (and there are already some very nice ones).

Would it work at 20" x 30"? Artscow have a deal on canvas prints right now, just wondering how this would work at that size (i.e. would it be big enough?)

Also, not sure what the Artscow canvas print looks like for mats/boards - anyone tried it? (I've only bought cards from them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Gorgeous map. Does anyone have experience in having them made in Europe? Would be nice with some recommendations.

Zazzle.com sells Sierra Madre poster maps. You should be able to get them there.

To everyone else, I should be done with it in a few days as time permits me to do so.

Thanks again for the feedback and praise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TedW wrote:

If a bear is on top and you get another bear, it is depression. If it is depression and a bull is up and you get another bull, it is back to normal. Why splay? Will just make the pile messy.

I strongly disagree about the messy part. But I play a lot of Innovation, so am used to splaying piles of cards neatly.

In terms of the GAME reason I splay, I like to keep track of how many bears and bulls I've seen so far. Given how the deck is built at the start of the game, it's hard to absolutely and accurately predict what might be coming down the pipeline. But, in general, sometimes I can make solid educated guesses about the probability or likelihood of a card type reoccurring. For example, if, we've seen three bulls already and two bears pop up, how likely I am going to be to shut down the depression if I choose it intentionally start it? That sort of thing. It doesn't come into play in every game, but I've played enough now that I end up wanting to look through the spent headlines pile anyhow about midway through the game so it was easier to just leave it splayed. I guess you could play in such a way as to ignore the headline pile and just be unpleasantly surprised by an economic slump. My gaming group is very metagame heavy and we negotiate about everything, so seeing a bear sitting there in the market that might trigger a depression can give a current player leverage in negotiation. "I can play this bull and the economy stays as is, or I can play this bear and trigger a depression. If you agree to a two turn truce, I will play the bull." That sort of thing. I guess this could be played as a hand-management resourcey euro where things like that don't happen and you don't need to worry about the bigger picture because you are playing multi-player solitaire. I just don't think it would be very fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:
My gaming group is very metagame heavy and we negotiate about everything, so seeing a bear sitting there in the market that might trigger a depression can give a current player leverage in negotiation. "I can play this bull and the economy stays as is, or I can play this bear and trigger a depression. If you agree to a two turn truce, I will play the bull." That sort of thing. I guess this could be played as a hand-management resourcey euro where things like that don't happen and you don't need to worry about the bigger picture because you are playing multi-player solitaire. I just don't think it would be very fun.

Wow. There is a *world* of space to play with between those two extremes. I don't play Pax with negotiations, but that does not make my games multi-player solitaire in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
qwertymartin wrote:
MScrivner wrote:
My gaming group is very metagame heavy and we negotiate about everything, so seeing a bear sitting there in the market that might trigger a depression can give a current player leverage in negotiation. "I can play this bull and the economy stays as is, or I can play this bear and trigger a depression. If you agree to a two turn truce, I will play the bull." That sort of thing. I guess this could be played as a hand-management resourcey euro where things like that don't happen and you don't need to worry about the bigger picture because you are playing multi-player solitaire. I just don't think it would be very fun.

Wow. There is a *world* of space to play with between those two extremes. I don't play Pax with negotiations, but that does not make my games multi-player solitaire in any way.

Fair enough. My main point is not about the negotiations but about why I (or anyone else) might want the information displayed instead of hidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
TurquoiseKnight wrote:
Tigrillo wrote:

Zazzle.com sells Sierra Madre poster maps. You should be able to get them there.

To everyone else, I should be done with it in a few days as time permits me to do so.

Thanks again for the feedback and praise!

The problem with that is the 60$ that will be added due to Rolls when importen from outside the EU. That's why I asked for good options from within the union.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love the option to have one printed at inkedplaymats.com. Hint, hint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok guys, here's the proof. I need to adjust some colors before I upload a final print ready version tomorrow. Let me know what you think.

I suggest using 4 wooden discs in each player color for the prestige tracks so you don't mess up the cube limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really good. You might want to tone down the amount of green, red and blue in the prestige tracks though. They look a bit too bright to my eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.