GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,715 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Letters from Whitechapel» Forums » Rules

Subject: What does the red bordered crossing represent? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
khash Afshar
msg tools
I tried looking at what the red square mean on the game board and have yet to find any information on it.

1. Would anyone know what it is or does?

2. Not knowing what it did, I made a house rule indicating that Jack cannot cross this square, as if it were a stationary police officer. So to pass it, Jack would need to use the carriage. In setting this rule, would you deem it acceptable to use a lantern to go from space 79 to space 80? The reason I'm asking is that the rulebook specified that the lantern must be used to pass through allies, though cannot be to a place normally accessible by the use of a regular movement.

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mks
Poland
Loguivy
Côtes d'Armor, Bretagne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
from memory: it is a special scrossing related to one of the jack's letters - browse through those and I'm sure there will be a reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mks
Poland
Loguivy
Côtes d'Armor, Bretagne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spadovsky wrote:
from memory: it is a special scrossing related to one of the jack's letters - browse through those and I'm sure there will be a reference.

yup, just checked it, the name of the letter is "Goulston Street".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Red outlined square (near 79 & 78)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
fornoggg wrote:
I tried looking at what the red square mean on the game board and have yet to find any information on it.

2. Not knowing what it did, I made a house rule indicating that Jack cannot cross this square, as if it were a stationary police officer. So to pass it, Jack would need to use the carriage. In setting this rule, would you deem it acceptable to use a lantern to go from space 79 to space 80? The reason I'm asking is that the rulebook specified that the lantern must be used to pass through allies, though cannot be to a place normally accessible by the use of a regular movement.

Thanks for the help!

Where in the rules is the statement that you can not use an alley to a place which can be reached by regular movement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Neale
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"The game is afoot!"
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
fornoggg wrote:

Thanks for the help!

Where in the rules is the statement that you can not use an alley to a place which can be reached by regular movement?

I think the OP has simply misread the rule. The rule is you cannot use an alley and then make a normal move that you couldn't have made using an alley. You are, however, free to make an alley move that could also have been done as a normal move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.