GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,401 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Race! Formula 90» Forums » Rules

Subject: Robot pit stops; re-entering after off-track; chits rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Mauer
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. In the basic game, do robots stop at their chit’s pit turn? Or do they stop at the standard turn 12? The rules say:

Quote:
Place the refuelling chit of the first driver on the grid on turn 8, place the refuelling chit of the second driver on the grid on turn 10, the last driver will have his refuelling chit on turn 14 and all the others on turn 12.

after clarifying that
Quote:
we will use the term player to indicate a human driver, robot to indicate a non-human driver and driver to indicate any type of participant in the race.

I assume this does in fact mean that all robots in the basic game will pit on turn 12, but the (designer-approved) rules summary file says to use the pit turn from the chit.

2. Does the same robot pit several times? The rulebook says:

Quote:
In the Basic Game when the Turn Indicator reaches a refuelling
chit of a robot, the robot of the corresponding type in the best
racing position must take a pit stop at the beginning of its
individual turn.

So if the same robot is ahead even after pitting, does it stop again on a subsequent turn?

3. Many off-track trajectories have a penalty to movement in the next turn. The rulebook indicates that moving onto the track requires at least 1 point of movement. If the player cannot manage 1 point of movement after the penalty, does he still end his turn on the track? Or does he stay on the green re-entering point? If he stays on the re-entering point, is he still considered off-track, or are other players who move into that track section later now considered 'behind' him?

4. This game has an almost overwhelming number of chits. I’m not sure what some of them are for, and I can’t find it in the manual:

* “check modifiers”: I guess the +20 side is for anyone who takes the reflexes skill (even though it’s already indicated on the reflexes skill chit). What’s the “-20” side for?

* Penalty -2 movement: I guess these are for people who have the wrong tire type on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1- Robots pit according to their placing in the Qualifying Lap... if a Robot has Pole Position he'll stop in Round 8, if a Robot was 2nd in the Qualifying he will stop in round 10 and so on...

It's pretty clear in the rules that you quote:
"we will use the term player to indicate a human driver, robot to indicate a non-human driver and driver to indicate any type of participant in the race."

"Place the refuelling chit of the first driver on the grid on turn 8, place the refuelling chit of the second driver on the grid on turn 10, the last driver will have his refuelling chit on turn 14 and all the others on turn 12."

Drivers are both Players and Robots

2- When it's time to pit the robot of the required color that has to pit will always be the one that's further ahead in the track...
Let's assume that on Round 12 there are 2 Yellow Robots Pitting...
The First Yellow Robot in the classification pits and goes back the spaces required...
If he goes behind another Yellow robot now that one is in front and that will pit and go back the number of spaces required

If when he goes back he's still ahead of the second Yellow Robot I think the 2nd robot of that color will move next because the 1st already has a Just Pit chit beneath him so it wouldn't make sense for him to pit again...
I'm not 100% sure on this one because I never seen it happen, robots of the same color are usually close to each other and when the first one pits he will always go behind another robot of the same color...

But I would like to hear Alessandro Ruling in this situation:

- If 2 Robots of the same color have to pit in the same turn and after the 1st has been moved back the required number of spaces and he's still the 1st robot of that color will he pit again or do we pass to the 2nd robot of that color?

but since you were asking about different turns, the robot of the required color to pit will always be the one that's closer to the lead... if that's the same one that has pitted in a previous turn he'll pit again

3- Don't know if you're still talking about the Basic game, but I'm guessing you aren't, because in the basic game when you go off-track all you do in your next turn is go back to the track (after the cars that are in the Braking section you just failed move)... you don't get to draw cards, play cards, change strategy, etc... you just get back on track...

In the advanced game I can't help you because I haven't read the rules there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawke wrote:

2. Does the same robot pit several times? If the same robot is ahead even after pitting, does it stop again on a subsequent turn?

Everyone pits on the turn their chit says. Robots do not all pit on turn 12. The farthest-ahead robot in the designated color always pits even if it means he pits multiple times and even on the same turn (if you follow the letter of the rules), but I have never seen that happen.

Hawke wrote:

Many off-track trajectories have a penalty to movement in the next turn. The rulebook indicates that moving onto the track requires at least 1 point of movement. If the player cannot manage 1 point of movement after the penalty, does he still end his turn on the track?

The off-track penalties apply to the advanced rules only. If after subtracting movement penalties, your car has 0 or less MP, simply put it on the track in the designated section as if it had 1 MP. I often play the lowest-mp card when I get into this situation.

Hawke wrote:
This game has an almost overwhelming number of chits. I’m not sure what some of them are for, and I can’t find it in the manual.

You take a +20 if you have Reflexes. You put a -20 on the board in rainy weather. You take a -1 or -2 marker if you have the wrong tires. This is all advanced game stuff. I think they had room, so they made these extra counters, which I don't think have any mandatory use. To be honest, I wished they had made small -1 and -2 counters to put on the cars because I constantly forget the wrong-tire movement penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mauer
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, guys.

1. My question was actually more "do the pit turn labels from the chit apply to the basic game, or only to the advanced game?" The rulebook doesn't say they don't (that I can see), and the rules summary says they apply to the basic game as well. ("The Fuel Marker is then placed on the Turn Track on the turn indicated on the chit.")

2. "if that's the same one that has pitted in a previous turn he'll pit again" -- that's my understanding of the rules-as-written as well. It just doesn't seem right that the same driver should ever have to pit twice in a row like that. Unless it's just there to stop the superfast robots from getting too far ahead.

3. Yes, I'm talking about the advanced game. "simply put it on the track in the designated section as if it had 1 MP." -- That makes sense to me. Is that somewhere in the rulebook? Found it: "If the total movement results in zero or a negative value the car is simply positioned in the re-entering section behind anyone else.".

4. Since according to the rulebook there are 6 "-20" chits, I guess you're all supposed to take one in the rain. Maybe put it on the target check card? And with 5 "-1"/"-2" penalty chits, I guess you are supposed to put them with your car sheet, and hopefully you won't need 6 of them. That all makes sense, it just would've been nice if the rulebook actually said what to do with them, and I was hoping I hadn't simply missed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawke wrote:

1. My question was actually more "do the pit turn labels from the chit apply to the basic game, or only to the advanced game?" The rulebook doesn't say they don't

They do. Page 4 Column 2, under "Starting Fuel".

Quote:
Note: refuelling turns indicated on the refuelling chits of the robots are ignored in the Basic game

Hawke wrote:
2. "if that's the same one that has pitted in a previous turn he'll pit again" -- that's my understanding of the rules-as-written as well. It just doesn't seem right that the same driver should ever have to pit twice in a row like that. Unless it's just there to stop the superfast robots from getting too far ahead.

I've never checked, but it seems unlikely that the same robot would have to pit twice. If it concerns you, there is no harm in identifying the robots individually - (perhaps with a small sticker or dab of paint) and pit the appropriate robot when the time comes. Personally I don't think it's an issue.

Hawke wrote:
3. Yes, I'm talking about the advanced game. "simply put it on the track in the designated section as if it had 1 MP." -- That makes sense to me. Is that somewhere in the rulebook?

Yes it is. Page 18 Column 2 under "Re-entering the track."

There's a lot going on in the game and it takes a while to get your head round ALL the rules, but I think that any ambiguities on some of the finer points have been cleared up in these forums.

Enjoy the game - it's awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mauer
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Beautiful, thanks. I was looking for "pit stop" not "refuelling". Maybe the maintainer of the basic rules summary can correct that file...?

3. Yep, I found it as well.

Thanks much!

I have played about 4 solo games on VASSAL, and yeah...so far it seems to be a great system, even though the rulebook could be a lot clearer. My physical copy arrived today, and I look forward to playing it with this weekend at the FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawke wrote:
My physical copy arrived today, and I look forward to playing it with this weekend at the FLGS.

The first time I took it to the local games club, we played a 6 player. (That wouldn't have been my choice - it was just the timing of people arriving.) That was a mistake - 6 noobs with only one knowing the rules! The game (Basic) went ok but a couple of players weren't happy with game length. I'm disappointed to say that two of the games lowest ratings are from players who were in that game! For a first game try and make it no more than 3 or 4P until you've really got the rules nailed.

I've since played a 5P Advanced game which was great fun.

If you've got the stamina to play it on Vassal, I'm sure you'll be fine - enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.