Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: Alternate Timelines 2: Yesterdays Enterprise/Endgame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Hewson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello again!

Today we have the alternate Enterprise-D (and the C because why not) from yesterday's Enterprise and the Rhode Island and shuttlecraft SC-4 from Endgame's alternate future.

Lets begin.

Yesterday's Enterprise - U.S.S. Enterprise-D

This ship is designed to play very differently from the usual D. As a "battleship" it is much more focused on forward firepower, specifically forcing your opponent (who might for example be playing several klingon birds of prey) to avoid the traditional mid table jousting strategy and try and outflank you.

The new Captain Picard is a very different creature to the usual action efficiency machine. This one pairs with the new Enterprise to give you even more firepower....but only once you (or your allies) have taken a pounding.

And what would the Enterprise be without its crew (all made suitably more militaristic for this timeline).

And a slightly more unusual one is temporally sensitive Guinan. This one gives you a once per game do over of a combat phase (the attack and defence rolls plus any other effects used taken etc) or to change your move.

And for those last ditch moments (possible involving heroic suicide of some sort) we have an elite talent for Picard.

Yesterday's Enterprise - U.S.S. Enterprise-C

While im sure wizkids will release it at some point for now we have the Ambassador class starship.

Some explanation of stats and the like: I didnt want to give it the same firepower as the Galaxy so its on 3 attack dice. It does however retain the earlier Excelsior class's wide forward firing arc. To give it a different feel to either its got an evasive and maneuvering edge on the B/D (the sharp maneuvers they were able to do in the Wolf 359 scene from DS9s first episode justify this a bit). That coupled with the Cs defensive ability should let it tank some Romulans for a little while.

To go with it we have a captain and a crew upgrade.

Endgame

For Endgame's alternate future we have 2 new types of card (theres a fair few more of both of these coming in my next couple of posts...ive been making quite a bit of stuff).

Admiral Janeway and SC-4

Admiral Janeway is a standard admiral in keeping with Kirk/Dukat etc.

Admiral Janeways shuttle is the first of my shuttle cards. There are a few additional rules associated with Shuttles (as them being completely normal ships has some issues).

So shuttles are worse attacking at range and are restricted in what tech and weapon upgrades they can take but to offset this can overlap objects without losing actions and are harder to hit at close range and with secondary weapons.

SC-4 itself has cloak and sensor echo as well as the Defiants ablative armour ability (full blown ablative generator tokens are just too much for a shuttle).

But we do have some upgrades to help out shuttles.

the Rhode Island

And to show off our other new card type we have the Rhode island.

Just after I made the first of these I saw "combat vessel variant" which was pretty much the same thing (costed the same etc). The difference here is that Refits are limited to one per ship (but not unique), use no upgrade slots and cant be removed (refits being an integral part of the ship.

Accompanying the Rhode Island is captain Kim and a new elite talent (the Rhode Island refit, harrys ability and the refit stats and ability are all designed to make a Nova present a significant enough threat to distract the two future Neghvars from the shuttle).

Next up: All Good Things and Timeless
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That shuttle would need a special dial to fit all those maneuvers on it. So far, every ship released has 15 maneuvers. I count 18 on that Maneuver Card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Hewson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Huh, I did not know that. You learn something every day.

As it happens ive been tracking down resources for getting all my custom stuff made (quality printing, useful parts) and ive actually found some universal move dials that do the lot (every move in the game) which ive ordered a batch of.

At some point im gonna make up a template for custom dials as well to make some that match these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aan Ambassador class starship should not have 2 evade, its bigger than an Excelsior.
I love the refit concept, but its letting you have an additional ship ability at no cost - ie: the combat upgrade lets you move but costs a aux power token.
Same deal with the Enterprise multi attack, it costs you nothing to use it and should at least be an aux power token or no extra dice.
An Admiral should be 5 points for what she can add to a ship.
And you would be able to use starter box Data with your Wesley and Castillo,for OMG evades since Data is getting 2 evade tokens and the other 2 crew can each activate from a different token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Hewson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ambassador - I debated that one a fair bit. The problem this class has is theres so little ground between the excelsior and galaxy classes in game terms. While a large ship there is something to be said for it being substantially more advanced than the Excelsior but much less massive than the Galaxy. We do at least see it maneuvering pretty well during Wolf 359 (http://youtu.be/ZMa_SUDhn7E?t=52s)...

Ent-D split fire: It did originally have an aux token involved, I think that got lost in an edit somewhere, I shall probably patch that back in and update the post.

Janeway - Yeah....think I forgot to update that one, the text file I wrote them all in had cost 5).

The refits are pretty much in line with the costs established in the game itself. The ability on this one is a little pushed, the others I have planned are slightly less so (as the ships they're for are already a little more powerful themselves...The Excelsior refit, AGT Galaxy refit and something to pump up the D'Deridex).

One of the reasons I wanted to exclude use of an upgrade slot for refits is it allows you to make refits for ships with no tech slots and also to make multiple different refits for one ship class while also preventing someone from taking multiple different refits on one ship.

Wesley + Castillo....kinda see your point there....perhaps it would be worth changing Wesley to trigger from a battlestations token instead. It's at the least making a significant difference between him and Castillo. Plus that WOULD play into him being from a more militarised version of starfleet.

EDIT: Ive amended janeways cost and changed the token that triggers Wes. I have also toned back the D's additional attack dice a tad (did some maths and it got a tad silly if your opponent tried to charge you from the front).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like your refit idea and the thinking behind it, but I still think the extra ability needs a cost involved. Maybe spend the scan token to trigger the ability? That keeps the feel and the synergy with Capt Kim.

For the Ambassador, why not go full meat shield? Transfer 1 agility and 1 shield to hull and perhaps another crewman to resist criticals?

I really do like what uou've done here, very creative and interesting. Thankyou for sharing these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Hewson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
SMDMadCow wrote:
I really like your refit idea and the thinking behind it, but I still think the extra ability needs a cost involved. Maybe spend the scan token to trigger the ability? That keeps the feel and the synergy with Capt Kim.

For the Ambassador, why not go full meat shield? Transfer 1 agility and 1 shield to hull and perhaps another crewman to resist criticals?

Not a bad idea with the scan token...Might add that in (its not like itll be hard to trigger it....but it does mean youll need to be careful to avoid a collision which is a good thing.

And the ambassador as a 3, 1, 6, 3...It's certainly a different stat block to the federation ships weve seen (and bears no resemblance to the other fed ships ive got on the go). It would make the generic version a tad flimsy on the shields, but it would still be quite sturdy....Might give that a go (keep the "big ship with 2 evades" slot for the USS Premonition for the armada fans).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one is going to give you flak for making Wesley Crusher?

Love that Rhode Island and Nova Refit, I also think you should have to spend something to get those effects, and a scan token sounds right.

Nice stuff. I like the Ent C and it's nice to see the images from the STCCG pop up again for Garret and Shooter McGavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Kohanek

Midland
Texas
msg tools
mb
I like what you are doing but agree that ambassador should not have 2 evade.I love the shuttle rules but actually dont like the shuttle. Is this future janeways shuttle? That would make some sense, or if it was delta flyer. Otherwise 2 attack seems too powerful, 2 evade doesnt seem to be enough, and more than 3 movement seem a bit much.No complaints on the crew cards. Like the refit for rhode island.

Ive considered doing a shuttle bay card tech upgrade that lets you use a crewmembers ability to affect another ship while not having to lower your own shields. (Most gankers need you to lower your own shields)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Hewson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
SC-4 is future janeways shuttle (hence the cloaking etc).

Basically only larger (Flyer/Danube) or future tech (SC-4) shuttles really justify 2 attack. The flyer will be higher agility (3).

I think ill make a thruster upgrade you can use as a shuttle only tech upgrade for a +1 agility.

Im also going (at some point) to do some generic "personnel shuttles" for each faction (like the blocky generic tng shuttle for the feds) which are more 1, 2, 2, 1 for scenario games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gabel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the work you've done, here! Definitely going to download and print these out for a few games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea but have one suggestion. Make the refit card have statistics on the left at the same height as the ship statistics but with +1's at the appropriate point so that you could put it under the ship card so that the +'s are apparent next to the ship's stats (the way the flagship card does but without the flagship card's size). You tuck it under the Nova card and you can see the plusses peeking out behind the ship card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shrouded In Mystery
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of shuttles. You might consider allowing shuttles to purchase any tech/wep upgrades with a printed cost of 3 or less. Alternatively you could discount the cost of shuttles since they have a very limited upgrade pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dannyhewson wrote:

And the ambassador as a 3, 1, 6, 3...It's certainly a different stat block to the federation ships weve seen (and bears no resemblance to the other fed ships ive got on the go). It would make the generic version a tad flimsy on the shields, but it would still be quite sturdy....Might give that a go (keep the "big ship with 2 evades" slot for the USS Premonition for the armada fans).

If you want to keep a higher degree of maneuverability, how about dropping the ambasadors sharp turns to 1 and 2 instead of 2 and 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Hewson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Based on all the feedback heres a new alternate version of the Ambassador Class and the Enterprise-C.

Its got the 3, 1, 6, 3 stat block and the improved close maneuvering from the various suggestions that have been posted.

I think I actually like this version more than my original, it's definitely different enough to justify playing over, lets say the Excelsior or Constitution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.