GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,434 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Real life Whizzard :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Minh Tran
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
http://boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgamedesigner/2336/kevin...

Whizzard's card art is based on Kevin Wilson, designer of the Android Boardgame.

The name "Whizzard" is taken from Kevin Wilson's late 80s/early 90s online handle, under which he published several text-adventures and founded an ongoing text-adventure competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Duck to avoid flying Cptn Obvious reference :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Garch wrote:
The name "Whizzard" is taken from Kevin Wilson's late 80s/early 90s online handle, under which he published several text-adventures and founded an ongoing text-adventure competition.

This part I did not know. The shirt on Whizzard makes more sense than just the inside Zork joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
His flavor text is also an homage to the fact the he made the original Android board game and therefor the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkpact wrote:
His flavor text is also an homage to the fact the he made the original Android board game and therefor the rules.

Therefore the rules? I don't get it. Nearly all of the rules for Netrunner is Richard Garfield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DenGad wrote:
darkpact wrote:

Therefore the rules? I don't get it. Nearly all of the rules for Netrunner is Richard Garfield.

Thematic rules, perhaps? Like how Jinteki is the clone/vicious Japanese-inspired corporation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DenGad wrote:
darkpact wrote:

Android is a boardgame designed by Kevin Wilson.

Android: Netrunner is a card game originally designed by Richard Garfield, then adapted and updated by FFG and put into the Android universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit farfetched actually, as indeed Netrunner "rules" have nothing to do with Android. Flavor and lore, obviously do. Still, there's definitely some sense of honoring Kevin for being an important part (well, maker) of that dystopian world that now thrives without him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
DenGad wrote:
darkpact wrote:

Android is a boardgame designed by Kevin Wilson.

Android: Netrunner is a card game originally designed by Richard Garfield, then adapted and updated by FFG and put into the Android universe.

Netrunner was designed by Garfield and had nothing to do with the Android universe. Android: Netrunner is a reskin with some slight rules tweaks based in the android universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
gumOnShoe wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

Netrunner was designed by Garfield and had nothing to do with the Android universe. Android: Netrunner is a reskin with some slight rules tweaks based in the android universe.

What exactly did you add to what was already said?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
gumOnShoe wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

Garfield designed Netrunner (the original), Lukas and Damon at FFG designed Android: Netrunner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
corkysru wrote:
gumOnShoe wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

I contradicted the bolded above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.