GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,176 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

DC Comics Deck-Building Game: Crisis Expansion Pack 1» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Constantine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Escobedo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any tips on playing Constantine (the Super-Hero)? From the moment I read his ability I thought, that is the most under powered ability out of all of the heroes. I tried it today and sure enough I could not figure out a good way to utilize it. Meanwhile, Animal Man was getting +2 power every single turn from his ability.

Can someone give me some insight? I am not a DC noob, this is a game I have played a ton, I just fail to see why being able to play a cost 1 or greater card from the top of my deck at +1 is really that great, given that half the time I won't even have a cost 1 card on top of my deck and the other half I will be losing VPs in order to gain more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played it, it seemed that it was heavily tied to getting Magic, Signature Trenchcoat, and the John Constantine hero card. With all three of those cards it would appear that ConstAntine the super hero would be unbeatable. Here's the problem though...with the three cards above in their deck ANY player would be practically pretty damn strong. The key for me is trying to figure out how he would be useful WITHOUT any of those three cards. Still pondering and would love to hear Matt's strategy tidbits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Escobedo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. This is the main struggle for any hero who is tied to a specific set of cards, the only thing is that the others rely on a much bigger set like all super powers, equipment, heroes, villains. I really cannot come up with a good use for his power given how hard it is to get the cards you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one reason I'd love to see a video of the Crypto staff playing a game. To see some strategy insights... those things we may tend to miss. I enjoyed their Penny Arcade one even though I don't play that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Brady
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Constantine's strengths are pretty two-fold, there's something you guys are definitely missing. His ability doesn't just say you may play the top card of your deck and then destroy it. It says you get to SEE the top card of your deck and THEN you may play it and destroy it. Knowing the top card of your deck is invaluable for cards like Nth Metal, Power Ring, any of the Heroes Unite locations, Animal Man's hero card... there are a lot of cards that interact with knowing the top card of your deck.

That aside... let's say that hypothetically the top card of your deck is a Kick, just a pretty standard +2 Power. You have 6 power but can bump it up to 9 by destroying the kick on top of your deck and take out a Super-Villain. Are kicks so precious to you that you wouldn't want to do that?

As far as how we play at Cryptozoic, I think it would be fun to get a video together at some point and I'll bring it up to see if it's something we can do. When I play, I have a very specific deck in mind after the first few turns and I'll play games going as far as to skip buying cards or destroying cards that don't fit the theme of my deck to get my specific deck going. People at first play tend to think I'm crazy for playing that way... but then see how effective it is. I'm also not the only person here who does play that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Herandez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It can be used for deck thinning.

Say you have kyle Raynor and three power rings, but a lot of cards.
You can burn the weak cards that don't let you draw or combo.

Or say you're playing one vs one, two heads are better then one.(I play this one a lot!)
And you have aqua man and Constantine. You can have a really good early game.
Putting low cost cards on your deck then destroying them, getting to play them and+1 power. That's a really good start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dawkins
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Notice that Constantine's ability says MAY, meaning you don't have to destroy the card, but you can still look to see what it is every turn.

This is helpful for some cards like Animal Man's Hero (blue) card and some others that trigger depending on the top card of your deck.

Other than that, yes, his ability seems like a play only on a turn where you're maybe just a couple power shy of buying a really good card or defeating a Super-Villain. It's basically trading up...burning a lesser card to get a more powerful one.

My basic gripe with it is it takes awhile before your deck gets to that point where you can use your ability and reasonably expect it to be something you can burn. Early game and sometimes towards mid-game its really useless because you keep flipping punches and vulnerabilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Brady
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
He does take a bit more effort than some other heroes, unless of course you buy two kicks and then turn 3 you have 3 punches, a kick and you top deck the other kick. I've played enough games as Constantine that it has happened for me more than once. Even when it doesn't... top decking the kick with his power turn 3 is always an amazing feeling.

Another thing I forgot to mention... always use his ability after you buy your card on turn 2! It gives you a 7 card deck going into turn 3 and improves the odds that you'll draw the 2 cards you bought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichBrady wrote:
Constantine's strengths are pretty two-fold, there's something you guys are definitely missing. His ability doesn't just say you may play the top card of your deck and then destroy it. It says you get to SEE the top card of your deck and THEN you may play it and destroy it. Knowing the top card of your deck is invaluable for cards like Nth Metal, Power Ring, any of the Heroes Unite locations, Animal Man's hero card... there are a lot of cards that interact with knowing the top card of your deck.

That aside... let's say that hypothetically the top card of your deck is a Kick, just a pretty standard +2 Power. You have 6 power but can bump it up to 9 by destroying the kick on top of your deck and take out a Super-Villain. Are kicks so precious to you that you wouldn't want to do that?

As far as how we play at Cryptozoic, I think it would be fun to get a video together at some point and I'll bring it up to see if it's something we can do. When I play, I have a very specific deck in mind after the first few turns and I'll play games going as far as to skip buying cards or destroying cards that don't fit the theme of my deck to get my specific deck going. People at first play tend to think I'm crazy for playing that way... but then see how effective it is. I'm also not the only person here who does play that way.

Thanks for this I knew I was missing something here with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.