1 Posts

A House Divided» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First game, crushing Reb victory - sort of rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Miller
United States
flag msg tools
So I've had this game for a few months, but hadn't been able to play it yet, so over last weekend, I hauled my 9 year old son downstairs, and taught it to him, and we played through a few turns. His confederates weren't looking to hot, so today I offered him a chance to restart and switch sides, (as I'd been reading some Reb strategy discussions and thought I'd show him how the South could win).

So with he and his older (13) sister at his side, the Union attacked Manassas Junction, and the game was on. I took a hit, but retreated. I started moving troops towards Nashville. The Union built up in the east, and the CSA marched towards Kentucky. A Union Naval invasion gave them control of New Orleans, but Kentucky was starting to submit to the South. Confederate calvalry took Cairo and Louisvile, which put the game on the razor's edge for the North. In the winter of 1861, the South recruited units in the Vicksburg area, setting up the removal of Union forces from Natchez. In 1862, just after the new year, the Rebels struck. Cav bolted to Chilocothe, and the attack on Natchez went down. Despite some heroics, the Union was unable to prevent the reinforcements from arriving from Vicksburg, and Natchez fell, and with it, the hopes for the Northern cause.

In retrospect, I think we made a mistake somewhere, as I can't see how I had the points to win, and may have missed something somewhere, (unless I took St. Louis, in which case I did win, but we can't recall). Still, all the axioms held. Too much Union focusin the east, and the Union underbelly is exposed. After the game, they said that they were looking forward to playing each other, which is a good sign. This is what wargaming needs, simple mechanics that create complex strategic choices. Got to keep drawing the new players into the fold. Soon, I'll hit them with For the People...
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.