Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I have the base game (Europe) but usually it's only me and my wife who play so I need a better 2 player map.

For those who have played at least 2 of the 3 maps (Switzerland/India; Nordic; UK), which was your favorite?

(P.S. We don't like to be cutthroat).

Thanks you.

[edit: Also posting this over in the Nordic forum]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people, myself included, think Switzerland is broken, in that if you establish an east-west route and keep going back for more tickets, you'll (almost) always win.

I think Nordic is an excellent 2-player map.

I'm not sure what you mean by not wanting to be cut-throat. The whole point of Switzerland and Nordic is to make it tighter, creating some tension for fewer players. If you want to do your own thing and not get in each other's way, just play Europe. I suppose you could also play Nordic with the double routes (which are only supposed to be used with 3 players). But I think that would be a bit boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played neither UK nor Nordic, but I do own the India/Switzerland map - as well as Europe.

Switzerland is a very tight map, so you will end up blocking each other. Generally, the overall experience with Switzerland is quite different from that of Europe, especially since Switzerland kinda demands that you draw lots and lots of tickets. (I hear that Nordic is quite similar with regards to tightness, but, alas, I haven't tried it.)

India is probably what you are looking for: It is bigger than Switzerland, but not as big as Europe. In contrast to Europe you are quite likely to find that many of your routes cross in a 2P game. However, unlike Switzerland, India feels more forgiving and less constricted. I think India is very well suited for a friendly 2P game; it becomes very tight with 4P, though. (Moreover, in my opinion it is also the prettiest TTR board out there.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USA Mega game is actually really solid for two player and a bit more wide-open than the maps you've asked about if you're looking to stay out of each others way (that is, there are few 'choke points' and multiple reasonable ways to make most connections).

I only played Switzerland a few times and it never really seemed very interesting for reasons noted by a previous poster.

I have played India and Nordic many times 2p and they are both really great. However, they are both hard to play without getting in each others way. I'd go so far as to say they are somewhat of a chore to play 'non-cutthroat'. Much more fun (in my opinion) to just agree they are tight maps and there are good reasons (involving current and/or potential future routes) for taking choke points and that should be expected and planned for (rather than having to risk hurting feelings and/or defend each potentially misconstrued action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by not wanting to be cut-throat
I meant not being a jerk and seeing that your partner is about to need that route, so you take it from them. We like to play a bit friendlier but the Europe map is too big for just two players so you feel like your playing solitaire. I wanted a bit more interaction (tighter map) but still not required to be a jerk. I realize a tighter map means more choke points. I like Henry's observation:
Quote:
just agree they are tight maps and there are good reasons (involving current and/or potential future routes) for taking choke points and that should be expected and planned for
So with that observation, I guess I want to back-track and ask that you disregard my cut-throat comment and just comment on which is the funnest for two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by not wanting to be cut-throat
I meant not being a jerk and seeing that your partner is about to need that route, so you take it from them. We like to play a bit friendlier but the Europe map is too big for just two players so you feel like your playing solitaire. I wanted a bit more interaction (tighter map) but still not required to be a jerk. I realize a tighter map means more choke points. I like Henry's observation:
Quote:
just agree they are tight maps and there are good reasons (involving current and/or potential future routes) for taking choke points and that should be expected and planned for
So with that observation, I guess I want to back-track and ask that you disregard my cut-throat comment and just comment on which is the funnest for two.

I like both quite a bit but if I had to pick one for 2 player I think it'd have to be India. The 'Mandala' bonus is fun and unique among TTR variants and the rules are easier/smoother. Not that the Nordic rules are difficult per-se but it is easy to get something wrong if you're new or haven't played in a while (double routes that don't look like doubles, no wilds on normal routes, two matching cards as a wild, and any four cards as a wild on the long route in the Northeast).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you already have Europe, then you can get Ticket to Ride: Europa 1912. The "Big City" tickets in this expansion close the map up a bit for lower player counts, as you are much more likely to be making routes to/from the same cities.

India is perhaps my favourite, though it does have definite choke-points, there's usually a way around. We haven't managed to "break" Switzerland, so that map also works for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Stimson
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like being cutthroat, you should definitely play Swiss. Nordic is a great, well-designed map, but even when you aren't trying to block each other, it's very easy to create situations where your move makes one or more of the other player's moves impossible. Among players who would specifically say they aren't very cutthroat, this seems likely to create hard feelings. In Switzerland there is almost always a way around. I haven't played the fan created UK map, but one would assume that is free???

Switzerland isn't broken. It can turn into a drawfest if you let it, but in practice it's very hard to link up all the countries, at least if both players are aware of this strategy. I guess my real point is that deliberate blocking in Switzerland can feel less "mean" than accidental blocking in Nordic. And both maps are fine, fun games. By that logic, I think you should get Switzerland.

Also, Swiss comes with India on the back, and while I think the sweet spot there is 3-4 players, it's pretty fun with 2 as well, And again, you get blocked all the time while always feeling there is something you can do, so it isn't very upsetting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Thank you all for your responses.

I also just saw this thread which asks the same question (should have looked before I posted.)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/788108/nordic-countries-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls