GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,698 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Heroes of Normandie» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Capsule Review - Heroes of Normandie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes of Normandie. Devil Pig Games/Iello, 2014. $70. Designed by Yann & Clem; Graphics & illustrations by Yann, Clem, Alex & Olivier. World War II squad level tactical game with 6 terrain boards, many German and American infantry, heroes, and vehicle counters as well as recruitment tiles, dice, action cards and wooden order tokens for both sides and many, many tokens. 2 players, but there are multiplayer rules for 3-4. 60 minutes. Ages 10+.

This is a World War II tactical game as seen in Hollywood’s Golden Age movies. The very artfully done counters represent squads or individual heroes and vehicles. Game play alternatives initiative each turn while the numbered order tokens allow players to alternate activating units. During their activation, units can either move/assault or fire. After alternating units with orders have finished, units that did not receive orders may move (but not assault nor fire). The game system uses Zones of Control to keep enemies from sliding past. Terrain can slow or prohibit units as well as block (or reduce) Line of Sight.

The game is beautiful! The terrain and units are very good overhead artwork. The rules are brief and direct. There are no charts or tables to have to consult! The game is driven by the graphic icons on every unit and terrain element that tell players at a glance what effects or abilities each piece has. This is a fast game. Combat is quick and often deadly. Most units are reduced (flipped) when hit the first time and then are destroyed if hit again.

The rules are poorly organized and specific rules are open to many interpretations leading to many questions during play. Devil Pig has released a much improved revised rulebook available on their website. The initial scenarios are a bit odd (fighting over plans, rescuing the commander’s dog).

Heroes of Normandie is a beautiful game of fast moving WWII combat. Each unit feels different and adds to the appeal of the game. Their recruitment system is amazing, using tiles with matching counters to control what can be added to supplement specific units. And building your own army to face off against the enemy is where this game shines. And with a very ambitious publication schedule, they are producing a lot of new and varied units and terrain to expand the game. If you’re looking for a World War II game that’s easy, fast, simple, beautiful, and varied, then get this game! Don’t let the rules detour you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting you think the rules are both " brief and direct" and " are poorly organized and specific rules are open to many interpretations leading to many questions during play."

I would think direct and poorly organized open to interpretation kind of contradict each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
Interesting you think the rules are both " brief and direct" and " are poorly organized and specific rules are open to many interpretations leading to many questions during play."

I would think direct and poorly organized open to interpretation kind of contradict each other.

My thinking (and of course yours may vary) was that each individual rule is:

Brief compared to what I often read.
For example:
After an Assault
Besides taking this hit, the infantry unit must immediately
retreat into one of the three spaces away from the attacker.
This retreat is a movement.
If the unit cannot perform it, the unit is destroyed.

Direct, that is most sentences are short and to the point as in the example above This retreat is a movement.

This "briefness" leads to many possible interpretations NOT being covered or explained. For example, can a unit retreating retreat into a Vehicle that can Transport? And these can be important distinctions. In this example if the unit can retreat into a vehicle, it is saved; if it cannot, it is destroyed. You can see Devil Pig's forums or those here on BGG for examples of the many questions that have arisen.

Aside from the direct, individual rule writing, the organization of the rule book is not very helpful. The rules start with component descriptions, then setup (which if you want to play the scenarios do not require army creation since you use the units listed in the scenarios), but then are followed by the rules on Army Creation rather than how the game plays.

It would be easier to learn, I think, if the game started with directing you to a scenario and focusing on that, then introducing advanced elements, such as Army Creation, later in the rules.

Thus, I end up thinking the rules are brief, direct, open to interpretation, and poorly organized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that Iello has been very late distributing the game here in the US, I am almost loath to mention that Iello did not create HoN.

Just take a look at the Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1538673930/heroes-of-no...
You will note that Iello is nowhere mentioned there. Yann and Clem from Devil Pig Games not only designed the game, they produced it originally.

Unfortunately, DPG partnered with Iello to make the game available in the US, and that has resulted in releases being very late and some Kickstarter deliveries being at a standstill.

Iello has pasted their name all over a game that they are little more than distributors for, and very poor distributors at that. I hope DPG can find a different company to work with in the US in the future.

(Note: I am not pleased with Iello atm, In case you could not tell.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I am aware it's actually a Devil Pig Game product. I have updated my review.

Those looking for the game's website should see http://www.devil-pig-games.com/en/

Not being a Kickstarter backer, I'm happy to see Iello making it appear in retail as soon as possible whether Kickstarter backers get it first or not.

As you mention, Kickstarter is the responsibility of Devil Pig Games, not Iello.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.