GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,823 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Phase 10» Forums » Rules

Subject: Keeping score is a waste of time! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne C
United States
California
flag msg tools
Keeping score is a total waste of time. It doubles the playing time and may not even affect the outcome (if only one person completes the last phase on a round).

Suggestion: The first person to complete Phase 10 wins. So easy and fair to everyone. And no wasted time counting and keeping score. What a concept.

For those wanting to play with 5 or 6 players, the game will take too long (with 10 phases) and some players may lose interest midway. I have solved this issue by making up cards with 6 and 7 phases. They incorporate all the "types" of phases, using the hardest of each type. I have found that no one ever quits early because the game ends in a reasonable time frame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne C
United States
California
flag msg tools
Here are my suggested phases for a shorter game:

Phase 6

1. 2 sets of 3
2. 1 set of 4 + 1 run of 4
3. 1 run of 9
4. 7 cards of one color
5. 1 set of 5 + 1 set of 3
6. 2 sets of 4

Phase 7

1. 2 sets of 3
2. 1 set of 3 + 1 run of 4
3. 1 set of 4 + 1 run of 4
4. 1 run of 9
5. 7 cards of one color
6. 1 set of 5 + 1 set of 3
7. 2 sets of 4

And remember, skip keeping score. First person completing the last phase wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Mercado
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a shorter game we play the even (or odd) phases only. And I agree that keeping score is a wast of time. In my experience, it is so rare that two players (or more) end that last phase, that score keeping is seldom meaningful. On the other hand, when you do have multiple phase 10ers the only tie breaker that is fair is the game score.

It also changes the game dynamics somewhat. If you are not keeping score, then there is no point in getting rid of all those high value cards; once another player has made the phase. I.e. reducing the amount of points you would get if you don't complete the phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some will be snobby enough to go so far as to say Phase 10 itself is a waste of time. When I played this with 6p to 9p, we're lucky if 1 or 2 people make it to phase 5.

If you must play, yeah, lose the score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Nielsen
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Interesting variation, does make it easier to play I suppose. I agree that the game feels too long with all 10 phases. However, I didn't find it unimportant to record the score. The one time I've played, the other player and I both completed Phase 10 in the 11th hand, so the fact that I had a way lower score was very important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We never played to complete all 10 phases. We just played 10 rounds, keeping score, with everyone advancing to the next stage. Lowest score wins after the 10th round is completed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Mercado
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
We never played to complete all 10 phases. We just played 10 rounds, keeping score, with everyone advancing to the next stage. Lowest score wins after the 10th round is completed...

Interesting variation, may give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Some will be snobby enough to go so far as to say Phase 10 itself is a waste of time. When I played this with 6p to 9p, we're lucky if 1 or 2 people make it to phase 5.

If you must play, yeah, lose the score.

Hi. My name is snobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.