GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,312 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one seems to me like the strongest of the Age III wonders. What is everyone else's thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fast Food Chains is good but is generally considered the second best Age III wonder. First Space Flight will almost always earn more points than FFC. I've seen FSF earn more than 30 culture on many occasions. Getting 30 out of FFC would be a Herculean task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Libonati Rocha
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a good wonder to the player who didn't invest in the others wonders. Internet and hollywood are amazing too, but they demand a previous preparation, also FSF, when you need good labs (and perhaps Einstein)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Gelinas
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to agree with Alex here. If there's one wonder I'd consider the strongest, it would be First Space Flight. Maybe it's because I usually favor a science-oriented strategy. However, most Age III wonders are situationnal. FSF is only good if you have developped science early on, and Hollywood and Internet are good only if you have the appropriate buildings.

Fast Food Chains is very easy to play, that's its greatest strentgh if you ask me. In almost every situation it is worth building. By the time you build it, it will be worth almost 20 points more often than not. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen FFC being worth less than 18 points.

First Space Flight is not that hard to play either, but you have to be prepared. By the time it's available, you will already know if it's worth a lot or not. An advantage that FSF has over the other wonders is that your opponents can not devalue it with aggressions. The other three are somewhat vulnerable to raids and wars. It my not seems like a big deal, but it's the less stressful to build in my opinion because of that. (I still remember when my opponent destroyed nearly all of my labs before I got to finish Internet.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if FFC were the best Age III Wonder, that wouldn't make it over-powered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We often only play two player and military and production are often our focus. FFC does not need any prep at all as all players will be pushing for an economic and military engine. You score these when they are built though right? Not at the end of the game? I ask this because of Maxime's response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:
We often only play two player and military and production are often our focus. FFC does not need any prep at all as all players will be pushing for an economic and military engine. You score these when they are built though right? Not at the end of the game? I ask this because of Maxime's response.

Correct, but building a wonder is usually done over more than one turn. It can easily happen that you're building a wonder, and before you finish it, someone destroys your buildings. You may not have enough turns and ore remaining in the game to rebuild those buildings and finish your wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
philtrees wrote:

Correct, but building a wonder is usually done over more than one turn. It can easily happen that you're building a wonder, and before you finish it, someone destroys your buildings. You may not have enough turns and ore remaining in the game to rebuild those buildings and finish your wonder.

Yeah no problem. I understand all of that just Maxime's response seemed strange...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first started playing I used to think it was the most powerful of the the 4 in the base game. Now I find Space Flight and Internet to be worth far, far more - they just need more planning for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Zamalvide
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Every age III wonder is situational. FFC is the least so, but even then, there are scenarios in which where it is not very attractive - if you played tech heavily and never invested in population that much, and/or after a big holy war, or any war in which you had to sacrifice many units, for example. That being said, it is odd for it to yield zero culture, while the same cannot be said of other age III wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
No. FSF is easily the best wonder in the standard game, followed by Internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Scheck
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
FFC will usually get you in the low 20s of culture, regardless of your setup--but so does FSF. And FSF has the potential to get quite a bit more, plus it is a lot easier to build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Gelinas
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:

Sorry for the confusion Phil. As it's been clarified already, you do score the points just at the moment you finish your wonder, not at the end of the game. What I meant in my response was that your opponents could destroy your buildings before you get to finish your wonder.

Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximnicov wrote:
philtrees wrote:

Sorry for the confusion Phil. As it's been clarified already, you do score the points just at the moment you finish your wonder, not at the end of the game. What I meant in my response was that your opponents could destroy your buildings before you get to finish your wonder.

Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Hey no problem. I thought we must have been playing it wrong when I read your comment lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.