GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,519 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Golem Arcana» Forums » General

Subject: younger gamers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nd Rvng
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
So... the box lists 14+, but I jumped on the KS for this specifically for the chance that it might work out well with my little dude (6.5 now). I'm hoping it works as well for you as it did tonight for us.

He loves all of the 'figure games' that I've got stacked up, and I've long since gotten over the fear of breakage - just accept it and move on. I already busted out the crazy glue once tonight (pilot came off of the jeweled harpy) and I expect it'll happen again.

Anyway, we unpacked all of the figures (12 from wave 1) and he declared immediately that he was the red team (gudanna). He did not like the looks of the tree people or the bone guys (urugal and zikia - they were bad guys in his view), and grudgingly let me take the gold ones (durani) for the tutorial that we played. As with many others, I feared that the wand was dead, until I found the power button. Then I feared that it was broken irreparably until I read the instructions and took of the lens cover.

After explaining that it was just like his Tag Reader, he was all over it. He was checking his AP and deciding what to do - I had to remind him to click the confirm button a lot, but it was really very straightforward for him to pick up.

Confusing things, not having read the instructions:
1. actions can be taken multiple times, but double in cost until they cool down - the cool down duration isn't obvious, and I think it might be more than 1 turn for some things? The doubling was explained in the tutorial, and it made sense, but we occasionally forgot about it until we were about to use a power.
2. line of sight - yes, the picture of a hill on the flat board really does block your line of sight. super cool when I realized what it was doing, but frustrating until that point. Why can't I target this guy?
3. Having to target the enemy figure, not the square - there's only one guy in this square, and it would be a lot easier to hit the board with the stylus rather than the mini...
3b. countered by the super cool fact that you can use the cards to target the enemies if there's only one of a given type on the board. You never have to touch the minis on the board with the stylus.

Stylus performance:
1. really sucks with the lens cover on. Won't recognize anything.
2. minor lag - little dude would touch a square or power, look at the ipad, then hit it again before it would update. It could be that he was touching the card / board at an angle... like you can with the tag reader (oops). I had no real problems.
3. button clicks worked immediately and flawlessly

He wanted desperately to play another round, but it was time for bath and bed. We talked about it, and he really enjoyed the game. I'm not sure if we'll take advantage of the additional complexity that is offered, but at this level it was very approachable for his age. Thumbs up from this geek dad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have demo'd to as young as eight. He figured out the stylus faster than his dad. He also took his dad to the cleaners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear. I will be playing with both my sons over the weekend. Can't wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that many specialty game manufacturers will rate a game 14+ to avoid a host of expensive hazardous materials testing that is mandatory in the toy industry for products listed for anyone 12 or under.

Many many many games listed at 14+ are fine for youngsters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Poel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I love demo-ing the game to parents and kids. The youngsters take to the tech side of things really quickly. And the app levels the playing field in a way that it's cool to see them empowered to make their own tactical decisions without parental advice. Strategic decisions may be a bit beyond them (planning more than a turn ahead or setting up combos) but that just depends on the kid.

Glad to hear that your having fun playing with the little-one - that's great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ndrvng wrote:
So... the box lists 14+, but I jumped on the KS for this specifically for the chance that it might work out well with my little dude (6.5 now). I'm hoping it works as well for you as it did tonight for us.

One of the specific reasons I backed it was so that I could play it with my kids (9, 10, and 13). My now 9 year old was playing by himself in 10 minutes.

Quote:
Confusing things, not having read the instructions:
1. actions can be taken multiple times, but double in cost until they cool down - the cool down duration isn't obvious, and I think it might be more than 1 turn for some things?

Basically it works like this...

Cooldown drops at the beginning of your turn. Movement adds 1 every time you move. So if you move once in your turn, at the beginning of the next turn the cooldown drops, and you can move again with no AP penalty. Attacks add 2 cooldown the first time you use it in a turn and (I think) 1 each time after that you use it in a turn. So if you use an attack ability this turn, you have to wait two turns before it drops back down to its base cost.

Quote:
3. Having to target the enemy figure, not the square - there's only one guy in this square, and it would be a lot easier to hit the board with the stylus rather than the mini...

This is just a consistency thing. If you had to tap the mini in some cases and the board in other cases, that's an inconsistent behavior. And there are "area of effect" attacks where you can just tap the region. So being able to do that on attacks that only target a single figure crosses over into a different type of attack, which could lead to confusion.

Quote:
Stylus performance:
1. really sucks with the lens cover on. Won't recognize anything.

LOL. This is something that gets a lot of people the first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.