GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,384 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Flying Colors» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pass through, pass along or both? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xavier Seynave
Canada
Thetford Mines
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a situation I find interesting:

We saw in another thread that the French ship can rake with her port and starboard broadsides if they are available, so no problem on that side. The English ship wants to move across the French ship and fire at her rake line. I am juggling with two rules which can be used to manage that.
In 3.6.12 Large ship pass through, the English ship can pass through the French ship from any port hex since she can clear the latter and does not wear into her rake line. Rule 3.6.14 Pass along is designed to avoid a ship fire both her broadside in a single pass, and to avoid the inactive ship be cut in half, in case the active ship turns into the rake line of the inactive ship. So that means:

A- if the English rakes the French while getting to her final position, she should fire from the side facing the French ship in that final position. In my example, the port broadside for a stern rake. It looks a bit odd since the English crosses the bow of the French.

B- if the French ship cannot be cut in half, then the English must fire her starboard broadside for a bow rake. However, that leave the port guns free to fire in the final position, meaning the English fired twice at the same target without crossing her rake line a second time.

C- if the English ship fired a bow rake, then she must wear starboard after crossing the French ship, meaning she passed along the near side of the French ship. My example would then be wrong because of a forbidden move.

D- the English declares her will to rake the stern of the French. The French may try to oppose that. If the opposition fails, then the English resolves a stern rake and must wear to port after crossing the French. If the opposition succeeds, then the English resolves a bow rake and must wear starboard after crossing the French.

3.6.12 allows the move because the English ship can clear the French ship and 3.6.14 does not forbid it (nor firing both broadsides) because she does not wear to the rake line of the French ship. I understand the spirit of 3.6.14 and that is why I would use option D, which seems to conciliate both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Xavier,

Given your photos:

If the Brits fire a bow rake with the starboard broadside, they cannot fire a port broadside since they're actually in a position ahead of the French ship.

If the Brits fire a stern rake with the port broadside, they cannot fire it again.

With regards to pass-thru in general, remember that the hexes are 100 yards across, regardless of how big the counters are. When executing a pass-thru imagine how the ships are actually moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Seynave
Canada
Thetford Mines
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Mike, your help is always appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.