GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,756 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Uncharted: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo "Survival" Mode - House rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Jackson
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
So I played this mode to try to get the feel of the game before introducing it to more players, and also because the option is available and I like to have a game I can play alone when the mood strikes. I've played about 9 times and didn't win once... getting crushed more times than not. It's just too difficult to dispatch 9 baddies in 6 rounds unless you can get that "magic" combination of treasure and action cards to allow for enough actions to build your hand and change out red cards in your tableau to play multiple effective attacks per round. It started not to be fun, and I don't like to know I'm not going to win after round 1 because that perfect combo doesn't come out. The game should allow more catching up for that, so I thought of a simple house rule to help a bit.

In the Refresh phase, I will draw cards from the Action pile UP TO 3 in my hand, similar to the original draw at the beginning of the game. So if I already have 3 or more cards in my hand, I can't draw, but if I have 0-2 cards, I can draw as many to make my hand at most 3. It seemed like this should've been there and was missing during printing the rule book. What I like is that I can use cards during my action phase to try to dump cards out of my hand knowing I'll get more in a draw (thus making those other cards more useful), so it adds that layer to the strategy. Plus, during the action phase I don't necessarily need to burn 1 of my precious 2 actions JUST to draw a card for a discard in a sequential, potentially final action. Also, I can still play an action to draw another card... since there isn't a hand-size limit, no harm no foul.

I think it's a simple mechanical fix to balance the game a bit more than some of the winning percentages I've seen people post on here. It's also not as finicky a house rule as picking through the decks and eliminating cards that are considered bad, but rather allowing you to get in and through those cards by drawing many more cards throughout in a game where, frankly, card-drafting is the primary mechanic.

Just to be clear, I tried this house rule for 3 more games and still didn't win (so 12 plays total with 0 wins, maybe I just suck - ha ha) - so I don't think it throws the game off. But I did feel that the game moved much better and I gave myself a much better chance and could develop around a set strategy and see more cards within that gigantic draw deck! I don't think this would work with more players than the solo mode, so I don't mind house ruling it like this by myself because who's counting.

I hope this helps other people enjoy this otherwise well-done game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good house rule. I'll give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Jackson
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yep, it's just a quick mechanical fix to allow the player to dig a little deeper into the deck for those killer card combos. Seemed to me to be a lot less fiddly then pregame setup of the deck by manipulating the starting cards too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.