GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Anthony Hjelmberg
msg tools
So the rulebook says, "When you buy or gain a Villain from the Line-Up, destroy it."

My question is how cards that make one gain things in a different way interact with that.

For example, Aquaman's Trident and Solomon Grundy from the base set and White Lantern Power Battery from Heroes Unite allow the player to gain a card to the top of his or her deck. Dark Knight from the base set, Larfleeze from Heroes Unite, and Captain Atom from the Crisis Expansion allow the player to place a card gained that turn into his or her hand. Do these abilities trump the rule that Villains must be destroyed when bought or gained, or are those cards' abilities simply moot in Crisis Mode?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Phillips
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I would be happy to edit your rulebook, cards, and other text and/or write flavor text for you.
badge
Buster Keaton, The Great Stone Face
mbmbmbmbmb
themantonio wrote:
So the rulebook says, "When you buy or gain a Villain from the Line-Up, destroy it."

My question is how cards that make one gain things in a different way interact with that.

For example, Aquaman's Trident and Solomon Grundy from the base set and White Lantern Power Battery from Heroes Unite allow the player to gain a card to the top of his or her deck. Dark Knight from the base set, Larfleeze from Heroes Unite, and Captain Atom from the Crisis Expansion allow the player to place a card gained that turn into his or her hand. Do these abilities trump the rule that Villains must be destroyed when bought or gained, or are those cards' abilities simply moot in Crisis Mode?

My understanding was that if a villain is gained in any way from the line up, it is destroyed. So the cards that allow you to gain a card and place it immediately on top of your deck or into your hand, I'm assuming would be trumped by the destroy villains rule.

The only exceptions I have seen are cards which allow you to gain the top card(s) of the main deck (such as Shazam's ability). If such an ability allows you to gain an unknown card from the top of the main deck, you keep it regardless of whether it is a villain or not.

There are also certain cards in the expansion that specify gaining villains, or gaining cards (even villains). So there are a limited number of way to get villains into your deck, but you have to be careful because if there is an attack, that attack WILL hit your teammates. What I do in co-op games is discuss before playing a villain with an attack to determine if it is safe to play.

Ex. I have a villain with an attack in which my teammate must choose and discard a card. I ask, do you have a card you don't mind discarding so if they have a vulnerability or something, I can gain the benefit of the villain without harming my team with the associated attack.

As far as I can tell, the only time you are not allowed to discuss the cards you have or the actions you intend to take is when you are trying to beat the Arkham Breakout crisis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, to my knowledge, gaining or buying in any way from the line-up destroys it. buy/gaining it from the top of the deck (Shazam, riddler) or from the destroyed pile (Signature trench coat) or some other way (Collapse parallel worlds) are the only ways to get villains in your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bieniewicz-Valada
United States
California
flag msg tools
If a Villain would be bought or gained from the line-up for ANY reason, it gets destroyed by the Crisis rules.
Any card that gains cards from the line-up still work just fine, unless they target a villain.
Cards that manipulate the location of cards you bought or gained that turn cannot affect cards you gained but were already destroyed.

Yes, cards that gain the top of the main deck still net you villains for your deck, just remember that using cards to gain cards from the main deck causes the game clock to speed up that much faster in Crisis Mode.

Using Signature Trenchcoat is the most reliable way to get useful villains for your deck that won't hurt your allies when trying to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ahn

Tennessee
msg tools
Has anyone like a game developer told you an answer about this. There seems to be no answer anywhere on the Internet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OrionX93 wrote:
Has anyone like a game developer told you an answer about this. There seems to be no answer anywhere on the Internet

The question seems to have been answered multiple times already in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ahn

Tennessee
msg tools
It still seems vague on the answer because the card effects have their own effect. It seems pointless to even buy aquaman;s trident in crisis mode if it can't use its effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The crisis rules override card effects, unless otherwise stated (like crisis black canary). Aquaman's Trident can still put Hero, Equipment, and Super Power cards on top of your deck as well count as an equipment, so definitely not useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.