GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,573 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Promo cards at Gencon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason La Mar
United States
hayward
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see an eBay auction for Gencon Promo cards. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFP promo cards tend to be alternate art cards. The company is self-professed "anti-promo" in terms of putting out rare material that gamers feel they need to hunt out on ebay auctions such as these. I would imagine, therefore, the cards in the auction are cards that come with the pre-ordered game, as has happened previously.

On a slightly-related note, it saddens me deeply to see this sort of thing going on. The copies available for sale at GenCon were, apparently, extremely limited, with an also-limited number available to the backers on a random distribution. That someone was lucky enough to snag a copy of the limited stock (or would give up their ks) to sell it through ebay immediately makes me shake my head in despair. I have nothing against capitalism, but this game should be looked forward-to, not a vehicle for some quick cash.

Such are my thoughts, anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of any good way a Company can prevent it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, looks like people ran to the booth, bought copies, then ran home to list on eBay. shake

Let's hope those promo cards go to all the Kickstarter backers too. Annoying that someone can just show up, buy it way before we get ours and then get a nifty reward on top of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Promo cards from FFP have previously always had a symbol with a "P" surrounded with spikes in the bottom corner. I don't see any such symbol here.

The cards from that Ebay auction don't look like special promo cards to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that pretty sad that someone would buy these games for no reason other than to try to make a quick buck. I have seen it before and I am sure I will see it again...

As a backer I have no problem with people who wanted to PLAY the game, buying it at GENCON, even though I am patiently waiting for the KS games to ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1932f20 wrote:
As a backer I have no problem with people who wanted to PLAY the game, buying it at GENCON, even though I am patiently waiting for the KS games to ship.

My thoughts exactly, yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spalanzani wrote:
1932f20 wrote:

My thoughts exactly, yeah.

I'm also fine with them having a chance to buy a bit early since it helps FFP. I just have a problem if they are giving them exclusive stuff that won't be available to us later. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Seems people are listing them for 2.5 times the original cost. I guess if some have deep pockets and don't want to wait, its up to them to buy at that price. In a few months they will be selling for $70 on CoolStuffInc anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hervé Balon
Belgium
Goutroux
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that it's a standard promo card... There is something that nobody else than me have spotted it seems. On the pistol card it's written in red: "Outlaw only"... As the Outlaw is the only kickstarter exclusive, this guy is a kickstarter backer and the cards he says as promo are in fact the cards that goes with the Outlaw class! No?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason La Mar
United States
hayward
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Bandito also have the "outlaw" key phrase like how has "Law" or "Frontier".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
gavindowning wrote:
Promo cards from FFP have previously always had a symbol with a "P" surrounded with spikes in the bottom corner. I don't see any such symbol here.

Isn't that the symbol to the right of the Keywords under the title bar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dahak wrote:
gavindowning wrote:

Isn't that the symbol to the right of the Keywords under the title bar?

Huh. Hard to tell with it as blurry as this picture is, but it's definitely possible. If so, it's in a different location than the normal spot.

Still, part of their company philosophy has always said that promos are just alternate art versions of normal cards. It's not like they add any gameplay value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would they bother with GenCon promos?

It's not like they'd have any problem selling out the copies of the games they have, even without promos... Seems like it'd do more harm than good by angering Kickstarter backers, some of which are already mad that they're even selling copies at GenCon.

Ultimately, it won't affect my enjoyment of the game at all... I just find it a little dumb on FFP's part. (Assuming these are actually GenCon promos.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Irwin
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a Q&A in the Kickstarter forum. They have said the mini for outlaw is exclusive but the outlaw cards etc are available. The backers will be getting those cards in this wave, but the mini is not manufactured yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys! I'm here at GenCon. Rest easy, there are no "promo" cards. Those cards pictured are the cards that come with the Kickstarter Outlaw character. As far as I know, they can only be gotten by Kickstarter backers (along with the Outlaw character sheet and his upgrade tree chart). So, whomever is selling those on eBay are a Kickstarter backer who picked up their copy at the con. I'm pretty positive they are not available to the general retail public.

Oh and I'm still hoping to have an unboxing this evening. Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dvang wrote:
Hey guys! I'm here at GenCon. Rest easy, there are no "promo" cards. Those cards pictured are the cards that come with the Kickstarter Outlaw character. As far as I know, they can only be gotten by Kickstarter backers (along with the Outlaw character sheet and his upgrade tree chart). So, whomever is selling those on eBay are a Kickstarter backer who picked up their copy at the con. I'm pretty positive they are not available to the general retail public.

Oh and I'm still hoping to have an unboxing this evening. Yay!

Thanks for the info!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually to add... My eagle-eyed wife spotted that on the Outlaw item cards themselves there is small print that does say "promo" on them. So I suppose,because they are for the Outlaw, FFP are considering these gear cards as promo cards.

However, I am still pretty sure that they are only available to KS backers. I was handed the small pack of cards and was told by Jason that since I was a KS backer they are part of the Outlaw (which I was getting). I did not see anyone else who bought SOBS get additional cards, nor see any display with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at gencon also,those cards are indeed the outlaw cards. All backers getting the outlaw will be getting those. So don't bid on them, the only way to get those cards is to have been a ks backer. Or that is what they said at the booth. I was one of the lucky 50 to pick up my backer copy. They are not handing those cards out to anyone walking by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
superspy wookie

Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
msg tools
Did they say if they are selling the copies to non backers a few each day or did they sell them all today? I have a buddy trying to grab me a couple as I missed the kickstarter and wanted to see if the chances are now 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I didn't ask. However, I was there fairly late in the day (around 5pm and the hall closes at 6) and I know there were still a few boxes left then. So, I think there might be a few left for Friday at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Gardner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as these cards were only to be given out to backers, I hope the ebay seller realizes what he's actually giving away and that it doesn't prevent him from playing the outlaw him/herself. Or that if anyone actually bids for this realizes that these cards aren't exactly "promo" and they'd be missing a bunch of rules and the figure for the outlaw (even though the figure isn't out yet)

This is me wishing the best outcome for all parties in a situation where someone has made a stupid decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
FencePost wrote:
Seeing as these cards were only to be given out to backers, I hope the ebay seller realizes what he's actually giving away and that it doesn't prevent him from playing the outlaw him/herself. Or that if anyone actually bids for this realizes that these cards aren't exactly "promo" and they'd be missing a bunch of rules and the figure for the outlaw (even though the figure isn't out yet)

If my eyes don't deceive me at least one of those items [the Tomb Chest] is likely to have a card in the Targa Plateau box at least since its available from the Blacksmith.

I suspect the Outlaw Pistol is the only one not seen elsewhere and some or all the others are Starting Gear for the Outlaw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Gardner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though that does make me wonder if it's even possible to play with 2 outlaws if the cards are promo or if that just adds duplicates of cards that are already in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/51535/shadows-brimstone-city-...

From that unboxing video, it looks to me like the ebay auction are the starting cards for the Outlaw, NOT PROMO cards.

Anyone who buys that will be pretty bummed out I wager, and the seller will have a handful of Outlaw rules and stuff that he will not be able to sell without these cards... lose-lose situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/51535/shadows-brimstone-city-...

From that unboxing video, it looks to me like the ebay auction are the starting cards for the Outlaw, NOT PROMO cards.

Anyone who buys that will be pretty bummed out I wager, and the seller will have a handful of Outlaw rules and stuff that he will not be able to sell without these cards... lose-lose situation.

the moral of this story....

know what your selling/buying before you buy/sell it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.