GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,974 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Small World» Forums » General

Subject: Small World Companion App (of a sort) available... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Ramsey
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Purpose
—————————————————
I love Small World, but the biggest problem in getting new players up to speed is figuring out what each race / power combination does. When selecting your first race, you have to look at 12 different pieces of information (6 races and 6 powers), and then make an informed decision about which you would like. Personally, I dislike trying to do this with any static document, as it requires looking in too many different locations. So, I built this tool to help new players (and, well, me) get over that initial hump before you've memorized what everything does.

This tool may solve a problem you don't have. I'm okay with that.

Requirements
—————————————————
This is a companion tool for Small World and related games, published by Days of Wonder. It helps in managing the armies, but does not play the game itself. You must have one of the Small World games to be able to make use of this tool. See the daysofwonder.com website for more information (http://www.daysofwonder.com/smallworld/)

This tool uses FileMaker Go 13, which is free, but is only available on iOS. My apologies to the Android users, but this is the environment that I have, and the environment that I know. If an Android developer would like to create an equivalent tool for Android devices (or all devices), I have no complaints.

This also makes use of interface elements introduced in FileMaker Go 13, so if you are using an earlier version, you'll need to install FileMaker Go 13 as well.

Installation
—————————————————
Step 1: Download / install FileMaker Go 13 from the App Store: (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filemaker-go-13/id675292600?...)
Step 2: Download the "SmallWorld Assistant.fmp12" file from my Dropbox: (https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xxnhnn0x2iozyd/SmallWorld%20Assis...)
Step 3: Click the "Open In..." button and select "FileMaker Go".
Step 4: Click the "New Army" button in the upper left-hand corner.
Step 5: Start playing Small World

Release Notes
—————————————————
The Assistant helps track the lifecycle of each army from Available to Active to In Decline to Extinct. Tapping on the status of the army on the right-hand side will allow you to update the status. The tool will automatically re-sort the armies to keep them grouped by status, so if you want to see all descriptions of all of the active armies while you're selecting your next, just scroll down.

If you select the wrong race or power when initially defining an army, just tap on one of the two button on the left hand side. The upper button will allow you to re-select the Special Power for the current army. The lower button will allow you to re-select the Race.

When a player claims an army and a new one is added to the game, you should not try to edit the previous one. Change the status on the claimed army to Active, and then click the New Army button.

Because of the available screen real estate, the iPad and iPhone interfaces are slightly different. The iPad interface is all on one screen. The iPhone interface has a list view and a detail view. The list view just has the names of the armies organized by status. Tapping on an army will take you to the detail view, which shows just one army at a time. It is here that you can update the status of an army. To quickly move between armies while on the single army view, you can swipe to the left or to the right.

Some Screenshots:
—————————————————
iPhone List View and Army Detail

iPad Interface

Feedback of any variety would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be awesome, except that SW2 for iOS and Android already has all of this built in to it. If I didn't already own it then your software looks very useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ramsey
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I absolutely love Small World 2. And while playing Small World 2, it takes care of all of this for you. This is really for those who play the cardboard game, where such a resource isn't truly available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.