GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,017 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Gaming Terminology? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Steep learning curve games

2. I usually see this in the form of a technology tree, where you must discover lower level techs to research higher level techs. I don't think there's a name for it in a general form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

What are the axes on which that steep curve is being drawn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Rouse
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Understanding and Time, maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cazaron wrote:

Understanding as a function of time? Then a steep curve means rapid learning.

Time as a function of understanding? Then that would be an unusual graph (usually time is the independent variable)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DRDRJDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8LYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWY JGLDDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8RJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4Q
United States
DRJNZ7Z3JGLYBDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8OQ9JDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1B
flag msg tools
badge
russ wrote:
cazaron wrote:

Time as a function of understanding? Then that would be an unusual graph (usually time is the independent variable)...

I think this is a case where the idiom has taken on a different and opposite meaning than its literal interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. "Lifestyle games". You have to make it part of you life to be good playing it. Examples: Chess, Go, Scrabble.

2. "Leveling". You have to go through each level to get to the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leander Van Reeth
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
Not a hungry hippo.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
cazaron wrote:

Maybe Success (or Success rate, if you prefer) as a function of Understanding or time. I imagine Success Rate values staying close to zero for a while, until a certain value is reached for Understanding (usually achieved by playing the game multiple times), when the success rate goes up by a large amount.
Here, I made a totally scientific drawing of the learning curve:

(first time I post a picture on BGG, I hope this works)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I agree. It is skill or effectiveness over time. Some games have a shallow or non-existent learning curve where you are basically as good a player in your first game as your hundredth. Others have a steep learning curve where cannot be effective at all in your first game, or your second, or your third. Perhaps by the time you are playing your hundredth game you can call yourself good at the game.

The best, in my opinion, is a game in which the slope of the curve changes. For example on in which you spend the first couple of games understanding the basics and then are a competent player and the next ninety eight slowly mastering the game.

Here's an example of different curves found on the internet:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
cazaron wrote:

Yup, understanding in dependence of time. Absolute understanding, not relative. So if a game is complex (or rather deep) you have to learn quite a bit more. If the learning curve is steep (which usually means for the first couple of plays only), it is very exhausting to learn all this new information (and still try to play the game well). So the analogy to climbing a steep mountain slope holds.

But I have to say that steep learning curve often gets associated with the game needing a high absolute understanding to play well. Very good complex games still have a rising slope after the first couple of plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:
So the analogy to climbing a steep mountain slope holds.

This is what I always thought the phrase meant, rather than any literal mathematical interpretation. It's steep so it's hard to get to the top but once you're there then things are good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Effort and understanding?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
I'm not sure if there are specific terms for the following phenomenon, but I would certainly like to know if there are:

1. Games that are most enjoyable at high levels of play but are intimidating, confusing, or both to beginner or even intermediate players. Are these known as Nirvana games, since it takes "enlightenment" to enjoy the countless hours of bliss they provide?

Games with steep learning curves is indeed correct, as other people have answered.

Quote:
2. Mechanics which force players to get lower-level options to get higher-level options as opposed to being able to pay for those options directly with in-game currency. For instance, to get the a Level 3 unit, you must already have a Level 2 unit which must have been promoted from a Level 1 unit. Or, to get a higher-level tech, you must have two techs of one tier "beneath" it. Is this known as tier-gating or level-gating?

Also as stated, this one depends entirely on the presentation. Tech tree is pretty common though. Level-gating is used for a different concept (you must reach level X to be able to access the thing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Thunkd wrote:

2. I usually see this in the form of a technology tree, where you must discover lower level techs to research higher level techs. I don't think there's a name for it in a general form.

For the first concept, here is a good explanation I found.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/6209/what-is-mean...

For the second one, I propose upgrades or upgrading. Like the buildings in Terra Mystica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
russ wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Little effort, much understanding? Nah, does not fit what most call "steep learning curve".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
russ wrote:

Little effort, much understanding? Nah, does not fit what most call "steep learning curve".

It is effort and understanding; Thunkd means understanding on the X axis, and effort on the Y axis:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
ringo84 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
russ wrote:

It is effort and understanding; Thunkd means understanding on the X axis, and effort on the Y axis:

As Russ said above, you typically put the independent variable or input on the x-axis and the dependent or the output on the y-axis. The captions on the effort axis are also neither more of the same or any natural progression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:
As Russ said above, you typically put the independent variable or input on the x-axis and the dependent or the output on the y-axis.

Of course. But you typically think of Monopoly, Risk, and Candyland when you hear "boardgames"; we're special here.

ringo84 wrote:
The captions on the effort axis are also neither more of the same or any natural progression.

See, it sounds like you're questioning the science behind that graph. I mean, I know you're not, because that graph was part of a paper my colleagues and I published in the peer-reviewed September-October 2012 Journal of Scientific Research and Reports, but I'm just saying, man, with that tone it really sounds like you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
russ wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Uh... The curve is steep... So to progress along the x axis, understanding, you have to go very high on the y axis, effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
1. "Lifestyle games". You have to make it part of you life to be good playing it. Examples: Chess, Go, Scrabble.

I think Lifestyle Game usually means something different. While people use phrases in different ways of course, I usually see Lifestyle Game used to mean a game that people tend to play at the expense of all others, either for reasons of cost, time investment or the fact that it appeals to a unique demographic. This is in contrast to games that people own and play just as one part of their games collection.

Magic is usually cited as the poster child Lifestyle Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.