GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,232 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
48 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How do you feel about painting minis? (Poll) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting results at the moment (12 to 1).
Given how people talk about painting on this website, kinda shocked how skewed the current voting is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather buy them prepainted or pay someone else to paint them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the vast majority of board games with "minis", they're soft plastic with lumpy details which are not worth my time to paint. There's only so much you can do with paint when the underlying sculpt doesn't have the details to hold it, so I'll stick to painting Reaper minis designed to be painted in exquisite detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
To me painting them feels like defacing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
It all comes down to the "if you had the time and ability".. If I knew they would liekly not look as awesome as I'd hope they would I wouldnt even consider painting them (which is why I don;t. However if I knew I could make them look high quality then I'd be all for painting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
I'd rather buy them prepainted or pay someone else to paint them.

This, exactly. I've painted miniatures before and am proud of how they turned out. I think that well painted miniatures add value to a game. Even so, I still prefer to purchase games that come with prepainted figures. I've had a few Warhammer Fantasy armies, a full set of Puppet Wars figures, and my copy of Super Dungeon Explore pro painted. I really won't pay very often to have board game figures painted, but table top miniature wargames are games that I NEED to have pro-painted. I just don't enjoy painting enough to do it myself. Again, though, I'd still prefer board games to come prepainted (preferably at a Dust Tactics prepainted level) but I really don't have the problem playing with unpainted figures in board games that I have with unpainted miniature wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a little "IF-ish". I don't have the ability to paint anything besides walls (or glaze furniture), so I don't know if I really would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dastardly Knave
msg tools
mb
I really enjoy painting minis and if I had the time would probably paint them all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually started painting because the miniatures from Room 25 practically begged to be painted. I continued with some other small projects, like Red November and first pass of the Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game and Pegasus expansion miniatures, then learned about washes and tried it with the centurions from the Daybreak expansion, and then I also tried a few repaints of X-Wing miniatures game.

However, I would not like to paint whole armies (from war miniatures games), that would probably feel too much like work.

My first ever paintjob:

The first one with washes:

A subtle repaint of an already painted miniature:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I was going to say "if I had the time and ability" I would do it. But I realized that as much as I'd love to have really nice painted mini's I'd never have time because I'd always rather be spending that extra time playing the game. So I guess for me, painted minis are great if done well, but it comes down to "if I had the the money and connections" then I'd get them painted, otherwise probably not, regardless of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the ability ... but not the time and the eyesight any more meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time is my problem (I'd like to think I have the ability). I started painting my Black Sheep animals because the horses looked too much like the cows when bare.

That was a few years ago and somehow I've never quite got round to finishing the job. soblue

It is interesting to see such a skew of people who would paint their minis (currently about 7:1 at the time of posting). I do think that painted figs really add to the game. I remember the joy of fielding my Blood Bowl (Second Edition) teams in their lovingly painted colours. I used to even make my own endzone team banners!

Ahh, time. If only there was more of it ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of those options really fit my motivation for painting.

If the game has interesting minis to paint, then I'll paint them. Or if I feel like painting them will add a bit more flavor, then I'll paint them.

For example, I feel like playing with a painted Zombicide set will be more immersive than playing with a non-painted set. However, a painted Memoir '44 doesn't seem to be a significant addition.

It's all about feel for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
In answer to the subject line: Terrified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't paint them, even if I had time, but not because I think it lowers value. I just don't like painting and art type things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Mitchell-Dolby
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Problem is you need something to practice on before you go ahead and destroy your lovely shoggoth or whatever, but then what do you practice on that you don't mind potentially making a mess of?

I've actually recently taken up painting and have begun with Touch of Evil. If I turn out to be good at it I might move on from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the time or the ability. If I had both, which is difficult to imagine, I'd probably give it a go for some games yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Santiago wrote:
For the vast majority of board games with "minis", they're soft plastic with lumpy details which are not worth my time to paint. There's only so much you can do with paint when the underlying sculpt doesn't have the details to hold it.

I agree that this is a true statement, however, I find that even painting "low res" minis adds a significant amount of depth to what would otherwise be a lumpy blob of soft plastic. =)

I'm not talking about trying to "paint on" any significant amount of detail that doesn't exist on the figure, I'm just talking about colouring what's there. I realize it may seem like a futile effort to serious hobbyist painters, but I personally find that it still makes a difference that's worth the (less extensive) effort.

KristianJMD wrote:
Problem is you need something to practice on before you go ahead and destroy your lovely shoggoth or whatever, but then what do you practice on that you don't mind potentially making a mess of?

You can buy "paint kits" for some game lines (like GW, off the top of my head) that come with a small number of figures to work on. Not that I would pressure anyone into the money sink that is 40K if they weren't already interested, but it's a good way to get a few basic colours AND practice figures to paint on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
Santiago wrote:
For the vast majority of board games with "minis", they're soft plastic with lumpy details which are not worth my time to paint. There's only so much you can do with paint when the underlying sculpt doesn't have the details to hold it.

I agree that this is a true statement, however, I find that even painting "low res" minis adds a significant amount of depth to what would otherwise be a lumpy blob of soft plastic. =)

I'm not talking about trying to "paint on" any significant amount of detail that doesn't exist on the figure, I'm just talking about colouring what's there. I realize it may seem like a futile effort to serious hobbyist painters, but I personally find that it still makes a difference that's worth the (less extensive) effort.

Yeah, I long since graduated to doing over half the work of each mini with what the manufacturer labeled the "Insane Detail" brush, so I can do things like separate eyeliner, whites, and even pupils and irises, or elaborate lacework sleeves. Low res doesn't satisfy me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tom
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even like painting minis that come completely white [eg D&D or Warhammer ones] mostly because I really don't have the skill [and although I don't have any fine motor issues, I worry about them when painting something so fine], and don't want to have to invest in all the paints and brushes etc.

I'd rather buy a game, or individual minis, that are already painted and ready to go.

It would be different if one of my minis had suffered damage. Then I would consider it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Myatt
Scotland
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm about to venture into the world of mini painting very soon. Just researching products before I dive in, watching and reading as many tutorials as possible. Still not sure weather to wash or dip etc.

Very excited to see how I get on though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Reaper learn to paint kits are very good if you are looking for something to practice on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Myatt
Scotland
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
The Reaper learn to paint kits are very good if you are looking for something to practice on.

Thanks for the tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to answer none of the above. If my favourite and most important games had minis (which they don't) and I had the ability to paint them (which I don't) then I still wouldn't paint them. Not because I don't want to alter the original condition or collector value but because I am simply too lazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After messing around with my Zombicide S1 set last year (first time painting miniatures), I pretty quickly got over the "lack of skill" element. For me now, it's all about the time.

Regardless, without question having a painted set of miniatures - even just very basic colors and shading - makes a HUGE difference (IMHO) in playing the associated board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.