GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,573 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Benjamin Ra
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Why not?
badge
9-Tales
mbmbmbmbmb
So during the game due to plot twists the adversaries have been capturing the new recruits. and according to the plot if you defeat the adversary you "gain" all the allies.

So if you have played the kingpin card "pull the strings" which allows you to put all gained new recruits into your hand. do you put those new recruits into your hand? I would assume yes. but my wife pulled a massive combo to get another 23 attack from some kingpin cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Barker
msg tools
mb
Yes, you would gain them to hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiliano Abel Pedrero Gallegos
Mexico
flag msg tools
Are you for real? that sounds really overpower. I know that kingping's card says: Whenever a card effect causes you to gain a new recruit this turn, put that new recruit into your hand.
I thought that beating an adversary who has gain New Recruits for the plot twist didn't count as "Card effect", that's just fighting. I need a clarification.

And for example, with "cage villians in power supressing cells" plot, i have a similar situation. Say you have played pulling the strings in your turn and a twist has happened. You have one of your allies under a cop. When you fight this cop, you gain that New Recruit, but is it going to your discard pile or to your hand? I would believe it could be to your hand, since that is a card effect: "Gain a New Recruit" in cop card.

Anyways, i will appreciate an answer and a clarification. Greetings!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M. Cabal Inés
Spain
Oviedo
Principado de Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is so overpower because is plot and situation dependant, in any other situation you only gain the new recruits you buy or gain with your deck. It's a good and powerful combo, but I don't think is OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiliano Abel Pedrero Gallegos
Mexico
flag msg tools
I read something yesterday. It said that a "card effect" is something written in a card, so i am still thinking that in "crush hydra" you take those new recruits to your discard pile whether or not you played kingping pulling the strings because is just fighting. I don't know, i could be wrong.
And in the "cage villains with power supressing cells" when you played pulling the strings and fight a cop above your ally, you gain that new recruit to your hand because there is something written on cop's card, and it is: gain a New Recruit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it matters if it's a "card effect" or a "fight effect". Normally, whenever any card or fight effect tells you to "gain" something, it goes into your discard pile. But if another card tells you that whenever you "gain" something, put it into your hand instead, then you should do that no matter where that "gain" effect came from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I revived this question as it came up in one of the starter leagues, this was the answer I got, which seems well argued to me:

TravelSized wrote:
As it turns out, there's a huge section in the back of the rulebook talking about this specific card: (emphasis mine)

Quote:
Kingpin - Pull the Strings: This card says “Whenever a card effect causes you to gain a New Recruit this turn, put that New Recruit into your hand. Gain a New Recruit.” A ‘card effect’ is anything written on a card. So the recruit you gain from Pull the Strings itself goes to your hand. Once you have played Pull the Strings, any New Recruits you gain from other card effects for the rest of the turn also go to your hand. However, when you spend 2 to recruit a New Recruit, recruiting is not a card effect, so those recruited New Recruits go to your discard pile, not your hand. When you play a New Recruit, the card “Kingpin – Endless Underlings” can put that New Recruit on the bottom of your deck. That is not “gaining” New Recruits, so Pull the Strings won’t put those New Recruits from the bottom of your deck into your hand.

The phrase "card effect" is oddly specific. It certainly ignores the basic rule of gaining by standard recruitment. In fact, the rule book section on New Recruits has the same clause: "When a card effect tells you to 'gain a Recruit'... put it in your discard pile."

I went back and forth on this for a while until I found the Kingpin section in the rules. Note that "card effect" is not limited to a card you play. Taken together, I feel like the fact that the plot instructs you to "gain" the recruits would cause the combo to work, and you would gain them to your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.