GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,437 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Caverna: The Cave Farmers» Forums » General

Subject: Best with 4? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy,

Outside of losing round 9, is there any reason that, company notwithstanding, playing with 2 would be any less recommended than with more? naturally the game is a little slimmer, but does that come at a cost to gameplay at all? I'm guessing the competition for action spaces might be more exciting/ annoying?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it plays well with 2 to 5 players. Not really interested with more as it would just add another hour to the playtime.

I play 2 player mostly with my son. And we'll play 2 games back-to-back and do them both in about an hour and forty. Games will be pretty cutthroat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that the gameplay suffers with 2, however with 4 there is a bigger chance that someone grabs a furnishing you need => more pressure.

Another reason might be, that with 4 family growth is more important => more pressure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thesleeper7 wrote:
I don't think that the gameplay suffers with 2, however with 4 there is a bigger chance that someone grabs a furnishing you need => more pressure.

Another reason might be, that with 4 family growth is more important => more pressure.

With 4 there are two growth spaces, and one of them can be taken before turn 4, so I think its actually easier to get a growth space in 4.

Growing in 3 player is hardest. 1 space for 3 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
thesleeper7 wrote:

I think the early 2-player game is inferior to the early 4-player game. With 4 players, some of the resource spaces simply start with more resources. I can achieve more with 4 players in the early game than with 2. This balances out in mid-game due to more spaces piling up in 2-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Vickers
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
Alexfrog wrote:
thesleeper7 wrote:

With 4 there are two growth spaces, and one of them can be taken before turn 4, so I think its actually easier to get a growth space in 4.

Growing in 3 player is hardest. 1 space for 3 people.

Not to mention, the Imitation space costs 4 food to go to with three players, compared to 2 food with four players. Imitation gets used fairly often when we play with four, but it's almost never worth it with three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Juju114 wrote:
Not to mention, the Imitation space costs 4 food to go to with three players, compared to 2 food with four players. Imitation gets used fairly often when we play with four, but it's almost never worth it with three.

Maybe you mean almost never early on? In the last turn or two, 4 food may be very little, and the value of one space over another can be several points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.