GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,656 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Dreaming Spires» Forums » Rules

Subject: When to refresh buildings and scholars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Allan
United Kingdom
Ashtead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is not covered in the rules anywhere that I can find, but when do you replace the tiles for buildings and scholars that are taken by a player?

Immediately on selection?
At the end of the players turn?
At the end of the current round?

I have scoured the rule book and not found the answer to this somewhat fundamental question!

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure it's at the end of the player's turn who took them - that's what we played anyway.

Just checked and confirmed in the rulebook - second page towards the bottom under point 3. - the squiggly bracket says "Replace with new ones if possible after a player has taken all 4 actions"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Estall
United Kingdom
Bisley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's at the end of the player's turn.

Take a look at step 3 in the Order of Play. Right next to the "Build a Building" and "Admit a Scholar" actions, there is a note saying "Replace these with new ones if possible after a player has taken all 4 actions".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
After that player has done their four actions.

This is stated in the rule book where the 4 possible action types are listed, if I recall correctly (I don't have the rule book with me at work).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Allan
United Kingdom
Ashtead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks all. This is how I played it, but could not find it for the life of me in the rules.

For what is a very simple rule set, I think the rule book could do with a overhaul! There are some difficult things to find, and some that appear on event cards that are not covered in the rules at all.

Just makes me work harder at the beginning! Enjoying this though and initial fears on random cash have been proven unfounded, and it is nice not to know exactly how much everyone has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hogan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chris, I was going to reply to you but I was beaten to it! Glad you got your answer though and great to hear that you are enjoying the game. Sorry the rulebook has been difficult, we spent many a long night trying to get it as clear and easy to use as possible but I'm sure there are still plenty of possible improvements! If we sell this first print run in good time, we'll do a second edition and I will trawl BGG for issues people have had and then we can give the rulebook the overhaul you are hoping for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brit Suttell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crispy116 wrote:

For what is a very simple rule set, I think the rule book could do with a overhaul! There are some difficult things to find, and some that appear on event cards that are not covered in the rules at

First my apologies for cutting off the quote I'm working from my phone. I agree that the rulebook needs an overhaul. It is overly vague. We are enjoying the game but spending way too much time parsing rules and looking up clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hogan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brit - very sorry you're finding the rules to be too vague, I can only apologize and say I am often online so if you ever want to message me for a rule clarification, you are very welcome to! Glad you are enjoying the game otherwise and hopefully in later games, you will have to do much less looking up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.