1 Posts

18MEX» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Railroading in Mexico rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Elbl
United States
flag msg tools
This was my 3rd or 4th game at Gencon. (starting to get a little fuzzy two days later...) I came to Gencon to play a lot of 18xx and try a new version or two. I sat down to 18Mex with Ian, Craig, and Tim. The personallities leant to a light hearted game, but Ian and Craig are very good 18xx players, and Tim was being 'taught' the finer arts of 18xx by Craig.

I was the only player who had not played 18Mex, and being an experienced 18xx player, I was told some of the differences: You pay for a majority of the tile lays, whistle stops do not count as stops for trains, mail contracts give $ to company's treasury each OR if that company has a train, and it pay the amount of that city tile, there are 2 possible Mexico City lays, and minors can upgrade tiles, but will need to run for 2 or 3 ORs before being able to do so (cost prohibitive), and there is a gov't railroad, and merging into it is 'very bad' for your personal wealth funds.

I won the bid for the Mexico Gov't railway and the 'C' minor. I started the Chiuaua (sp) company since 1 share was outstanding, for the minimum bid, since I diluted myself of cash during the initial minor auction. Other companies were started at more healthy par values.

On the third OR, the next round of companies were forming. Ian had current priority and was investigating which companies were profitable. Then with an excellent Ian statement of "What am I doing? I am Ian, I start companies, that is what I do..." Ian starts up a couple companies.

The train rush then becomes frantically fast and when it starts to slow as companies are out of cash. The Mexican Gov't Rail did not form, and I notice that I would be hurt by the next level of trains, but not as bad as everyone else..... [-sucking sound from company-] Buy that next big train! Three companies are then left without trains and I end up catapulted into contention for the game!

Craig then sucks down his remaining company (dumped his second to Ian) and puts two desiel engines on his company. However, with tokening my runs were not as poor (and I has a desiel on one company myself), I was able to claim a win.

Impressions: On the fence regarding the majority pay for track mechanic. It seems artifical, but it could be that I'm just not used to it. I was told that the game played out unusual, but so do most games I play with Ian... Overall, it's a decent game, but I'd need another play before I rate it. I would definitely give it another play.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.