GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,608 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Firefly: The Game – Pirates & Bounty Hunters» Forums » Rules

Subject: Interceptor spending fuel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the Interceptor does not use fuel, does it have to spend fuel when nav cards demand it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there something specific in the rulebook about it or is it an assumption? The Interceptor seems a bit weak if you enforce it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only new rule is that the interceptor does not use fuel to full burn, so go by the rules as written for everything else. Crazy Ivans require fuel, etc, just like normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the interceptor is weak. It has won or come second in every game we have played with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Hobby
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Challenging to play doesn't equal weak. Only those that can handle it should fly it.arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bielie wrote:
Since the Interceptor does not use fuel, does it have to spend fuel when nav cards demand it?

The engine says it does not require fuel to do a 'full burn' that is fairly specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
*bump* (didn't want to make a new topic)

I assume you still have to spend "1 additional fuel" like everyone else (0 + 1) when Heavy Load is in effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ses
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:
*bump* (didn't want to make a new topic)

I assume you still have to spend "1 additional fuel" like everyone else (0 + 1) when Heavy Load is in effect?

Yes, you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ran into this issue today when I played the Interceptor for the first time.

Yes, it really sucks considering your severely limited cargo space and it makes absolutely no thematic sense (exactly how is the fuel being used if your engine doesn't need/use it?...are you tossing it out the airlock at your opponent?) but by the rules, you still must have fuel tokens to pay for effects that call for them.

Based solely on personal experience, I tend to think that this handicaps the Interceptor quite a bit for "standard" strategies, if you're trying to use it for "pick up and deliver" jobs. Rather, the Interceptor's limitations tend to make it only really viable if you're playing with Piracy and Bounties and make that your primary strategy (which makes sense, thematically). I actually pulled out a surprise win at the 11th-hour with the Interceptor but that's only because of a few very well-timed, non-cargo-related Piracy jobs.

So, I wouldn't suggest playing with the Interceptor unless using the other rules from P&BH. On the other hand, I thought Piracy and Bounties were the one of the coolest and most fun additions to the game and I don't think I'd ever want to play without them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My assumption is that the Interceptor DOES actually use fuel, but the engine works so efficiently under normal circumstances that you're not using enough to merit spending a Fuel token. During extreme circumstances, though (such as a Crazy Ivan), you now DO burn enough to constitute a Fuel token.

The issue with Interceptor is that it's a really extreme vehicle. Great for PBH stuff, but other than that, a real uphill slog... UNLESS you nab Jayne or the Expanded Crew Quarters early in the game. Then it can be a powerhouse for Crime Jobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I always imagined it was using some sort of fuel that was readily available (like Hydrogen) but for fast maneuvers it has boosters that need fuel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrDave2176 wrote:
I always imagined it was using some sort of fuel that was readily available (like Hydrogen) but for fast maneuvers it has boosters that need fuel.

I kinda like that explanation. I'll just pretend she uses a Mr. Fusion. Available waste-product to fuel the drive core and petroleum for the rocket boosters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.