GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,220 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Steven Lykowski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note to say we've canceled the current Kickstarter campaign for Era but we'll be returning September 16! The short of it is that we got a lot of feedback from our pledgers saying they wanted a game with a lower buy-in, more customization with the pledge levels, EU-friendly shipping, multiplayer rules, and a broader range of reviews. So we're doing just that!

Here's the update from our Kickstarter page. We are confident that this game can succeed in a big way and want to do everything possible to make this campaign a major success. Hope to see you all in September!

"Hi Backers!

I’ve had some time to review our campaign this past week and look at all the progress we’ve made so far. As many of you have pointed out, we are doing a lot of things right with this campaign, but there are a lot of improvements we could make as well. This is an ambitious Kickstarter that many of us have wanted to see succeed in a big way.

This has been a hard decision to make, but to give this game the chance to succeed like I know it can, I am going to cancel our current campaign and re-launch on Tuesday, September 16th (Time TBD). I think our campaign will not only perform better at that time, but offer everyone a much better game!

Incorporating a lot of the suggestions I got from you all, here are the changes we are going to make for the September re-launch:

Full Game will be $24 with Free US Shipping!

The base game will now come with 240 cards (4 eras) and free US shipping. While I wanted to include as many Era decks as possible, I think it’s more important for backers to feel like they can enter at a tier that’s affordable for them. I’ve noticed that recent Kickstarter tabletop campaigns that keep their game closer to $20 perform a lot stronger than those that go above it. For a big card game, I think this is a fair price that will convince a lot of backers to join us.

The MSRP of the game will be $35.

Tons of Add-on Decks!

I know many of you were excited about the Era stretch goals. Well guess what? Now there’s no need to wait—you can purchase those bonus decks right off the bat! This option gives you a lot of freedom and ways to tailor your game experience. I think new backers will really like this option as well. Best of all, there are going to be a lot of new decks to choose from. We will announce these new decks on our Facebook page as we get closer to the re-launch.

Each expansion deck, containing 60 cards, will be available for $10 (msrp $15), so it's a deal you won't want to miss!

EU-Friendly Shipping!

I have made the decision to offer EU-friendly shipping this second time around. This is a huge selling point with our international backers, and I want nothing holding anyone back! There will be some additional work on my end in partnering with a fulfillment center either in the UK or Germany (these are popular fulfillment hubs) to avoid those VAT and custom fees, but I think it will be worth it. Our new KS picture will feature the EU-friendly logo and I’m hoping this will draw in the interest of our international backers.

Please help me spread this news on any forums or sites where international backers were reluctant to back the game due to this issue—we now have great news for them!

Multiplayer Rules in the Works!

Era was originally designed as an intense, head-to-head 2 player game, and I was thinking it would be best to keep the game that way. However, a few backers/playtesters have pointed out that the game’s “conflict cards” can easily be distributed to keep all the players interacting with each other. A few other good ideas along this line of thinking have been offered as well. I will be playtesting many of these ideas before our re-launch. If we can keep the game’s fast pace and thematic feel without the game becoming cluttered or thematically confusing, we’ll make the game for 2-4 players!

More Reviews on the Way

All of the Dice Tower’s video reviewers are booked through October, but I will have at least one more video review before we re-launch or possibly more. I've also been asked to do a video interview with JR Honeycutt for his "Back It!" Youtube program featuring Kickstarter tabletop designers, which I hope to do here soon. (See one of his interviews here).

Lower Funding Goal!

A smaller base game with fewer cards will allow us to shoot for a slightly lower funding goal--$15,000. This will help us build that magic little green bar which encourages backers to look at our project and affects the campaign in such an enormous way. My goal is for us to reach 50% of our funding ($7,500) in the first 3 days or better. That’s about 150-250 backers (depending on the average pledge level), but with our new pledge levels and add-ons I think we can do it. In between now and launch, I’ll be drumming up more support and interest every way I can.

I will also launch a boardgamegeek.com advertising campaign on the first six days to give us a lot of exposure to the gaming community.

When Will I Be Notified of the Re-Launch?

The best way to stay in the loop would be through our Facebook page here: In the meantime, feel free to discuss Era on boardgamegeek.com or try the free print and play which I will still leave up. Rating the game would also be very appreciated.

I will also be posting new updates as we get closer to the re-launch, so stop by this same page from time to time to see what's happening next!

A Final Word

Despite the challenges we met mid-way through the campaign here, I can’t thank you all enough for your support and belief in this game. I’m excited about our changes and can’t wait to see you all again on September 16th!

I will be sending out one more alert tonight announcing the cancellation.

~Steve, the Designer"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, will there be pledge levels like "add 6 decks for $45" or anything of the sort?

(I realize that committing up front to making all the add-ons is a financial risk, so you need to make sure each deck can pay for itself. But I'm sure I'm not the only person who, if I back, will be tempted to get 'one of each'. And if you make all 18 decks mentioned in the original campaign, that's a lot of money.)

Edit: 18 decks are mentioned in the original campaign, but 4 will be in the box. So that's 14 add-ons, if everything that's already been teased is produced. Which I do not mean to presume it will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Lykowski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A discount for purchasing several add-on decks is a strong possibility that I'll look into.

As far as how many add-on decks will be available, I'd like to offer all (14 as you mentioned), but I think it's better to offer probably only half of those up front, and then offer more as we hit stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
The kickstarter has not launched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Broen Thorning
Denmark
Ebeltoft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J Young wrote:

The re-launch date has been pushed back to October 7th.

I saw it on Kickstarter, not sure if it has been posted elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
Taibi wrote:
J Young wrote:

The re-launch date has been pushed back to October 7th.

I saw it on Kickstarter, not sure if it has been posted elsewhere.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Lykowski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is correct--our re-launch has been pushed back to Oct 7th. So sorry I didn't update in this post. Glad to see you all are still excited about the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Lykowski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kickstarter is live!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eratheboardgame/era-a-3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.