GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,267 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Forge War» Forums » General

Subject: Gencon first impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
quinn ortmeyer
Canada
Breslau
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm a kickstarter backer, and I'm happy to report, after playing a full, epic game of Forge War, I am not disappointed. I can't wait for this.
I did not get a chance to read the rules prior to this, so I got the full rundown from Isaac, and while there are a number of rules, they are for the most part straight forward. The only thing that took all 4 of us newbies a few turns to really get the hang of was the quest management, but once it clicks, it totally makes sense. The mining aspect is awesome, like a whole game unto itself. Very strategic placing, and moving, to maximize your mining haul. Brilliant. Then the tough decision of what single action to take each round. I had a money shortage for a lot of the game, but my own fault for not taking on quests with money rewards. The variety of weapons and quests is pretty staggering. Tons of replayabilty. Also the option of playing a short, medium or full epic game is great for times when you just don't have time to commit to the full game. It took us newbies about 4.5 hours of playing, not including rule explanation, which took maybe 20 minutes. But with experienced players, I could see the full game taking around 3 hours or so.
Excellent game, looking forward to February, when this is supposed to ship, and so far is on track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Thanks for posting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Munro-Chitty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!! I missed the Kickstarter but purchased the epic game from Issac's website ( http://www.cephalofair.com/forge-war ) and I printed out the print and play ( http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/175533/what-print-n-play-g...? ) and it is a very cool game! Can't wait to get the epic full game on the table this February.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It was great meeting you Quinn, and I'm so happy you enjoyed the game!

Also thanks for the water! I did not come prepared for a day of non-stop demoing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Merkt
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I likewise was able to get a game in while at Gencon. I only played the basic game but was very happy with how it plays. I am super happy that I decided to make this my 1st kickstarter backing and am only sad that we wont get the game sooner

Keep it up Isaac! And thanks for letting my friend and I jump in on a game then grab the tickets for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, Ed! I'm just glad so many people got a chance to experience the game, even if it was with my old, ugly, beat-up prototype copy.

I am also sad we won't get the game sooner...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.