GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,405 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Rules

Subject: shadowcloak, tahlia, blast.... and more... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dante
Spain
flag msg tools
So I'm playing an advanced campaign... as overlord, and have some questions for you, so I can beat those stupid heroes....

1- A monster with shadowcloak is affected by breathe or blast? or the attacker must be adjacent to him?

2- If the heroe attacks to a space adjacent to a monster with stealth, and the attack has blast... Do I have to roll the stealth dice? Is the same applied on a breathe attack?

3- CAn you make an interrupt attack and... don't attack at all? The question is because of Tahlia's abilitie. I say that you must be able (and do it) to do an interrupt attack in order to active the guard. So if you can't attack... you can't discard the guard and only move Tahlia. As I read, you must be able to do an attack, and you must do it.

4- Can you use dark glyphs on advanced campaign?

5- As overlord, is it recommended to spent points on leveling up all the monsters or focus just at one type? (gold beasts and copper human/eldritch)

6- When the heroes buy the staff to travel two trails by week... it means that they can enter on two dungeons by week?

7- I, as OL, activate a monster, and one hero, declares he will make an interrupt attack to a different monster that the one that I have activate. Is that legal?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dante1783 wrote:
So I'm playing an advanced campaign... as overlord, and have some questions for you, so I can beat those stupid heroes....

1- A monster with shadowcloak is affected by breathe or blast? or the attacker must be adjacent to him?

The monster can be affected, as long as they are adjacent.

Quote:
2- If the heroe attacks to a space adjacent to a monster with stealth, and the attack has blast... Do I have to roll the stealth dice? Is the same applied on a breathe attack?

Yes, but the stealth dice would only affect the monster with stealth.

Quote:
3- CAn you make an interrupt attack and... don't attack at all? The question is because of Tahlia's abilitie. I say that you must be able (and do it) to do an interrupt attack in order to active the guard. So if you can't attack... you can't discard the guard and only move Tahlia. As I read, you must be able to do an attack, and you must do it.

Wrong, the latest FAQ covers that explicitly.

FAQ pg 16
Q: Could Tahlia move one space, attack, and move two more spaces later? Her description says “she may move a number of spaces equal to her speed before or after attacking.”
A: When using her special ability, she may not split movement like that; she may only move before or after attacking.

Q: Tahlia has a melee weapon equipped. She can use her Guard order without any monster being adjacent to her and without being able to legally attack, just because her special ability allows her to possibly move into range of a monster before attacking. Is the attack mandatory for her to get the movement? Can she just discard her Guard order and move to town without attacking anything?
A: Anyone can “use” his Guard order anytime he wants to on the overlord’s turn. He does not have to have a legal attack to do so; he can just waste the Guard order. Tahlia is only different in that it actually matters for her. The attack is not mandatory, merely the expenditure of the Guard order.

Quote:
4- Can you use dark glyphs on advanced campaign?

Yes, but the majority of them are considered a waste. You are most likely better off using your treachery in other ways.

Quote:
5- As overlord, is it recommended to spent points on leveling up all the monsters or focus just at one type? (gold beasts and copper human/eldritch)

You can only have 1 upgraded at Copper, then at Silver level, you can have a max of 1 upgraded to Gold. Generally, it is best to upgrade Eldritch to Silver, then once you hit the Silver level, do a double upgrade to Gold Beasts/Edlritch/Humanoids. I wouldn't bother with upgrading more than 2 types.

Quote:
6- When the heroes buy the staff to travel two trails by week... it means that they can enter on two dungeons by week?

Definitely not. The heroes get to travel up to 2 trails. They get to select which path they take in order to check for encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
About point 4 : if you happen to have 3 Event treachery (very useful outdoors), there is something to be said in favour of using 1 for CB (first choice every time from mid-copper on) and then 2 for a dark glyph.

It takes away 2 CT, makes long levels very much harder and above all, it's sure to be used, something which can't be said of treachery cards (with the notable exception of Into my Parlour use). You can also ready it for max utility, like in rumours n° 4 and 7.

About point 5 : it is probably worth the extra 5 CT to upgrade Eldritch first ; then I usually go for a quick double Beast upgrade.
The difference between Silver and Gold is greater for Beasts (+1.9 damage for Spiders, Razorwings, Apes, +1.3 and Command increase for Nagas, +1.3 and extra range for Manticores, Hellhounds) but the one between Copper and Silver is greater for Eldritch (+2.9 damage for Sorcerers, Shades, +1.7 for Priests, +1.3 and and extra range for Skeletons).

About point 7 : yes, it is. Therefore, you should activate first a monster which can reach the guarding hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dante
Spain
flag msg tools
Thanks to both of you...

now it seems clear.

About the dark glyphs... you can play one for dungeon, right? So have I to choose what level will get the dark glyph?

When you hit gold level... Would you level just one kind of monster to diamond leaving the others at silver? I'm quite confussing about how I will spend my CT.

How to spend the treachery points? It's better to get assap the crushing blow? Should it be a "must have" card? Because there are some 2 Green treachery cards very powerful, like the one that lets you activate 3 monsters at the start of a hero turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
dante1783 wrote:

About the dark glyphs... you can play one for dungeon, right? So have I to choose what level will get the dark glyph?

I don't see any limit. For every two treachery points you sacrifice, you may place one dark glyph ; but apart from the Green one they aren't worth the cost IMO. When you see the first level, you decide whether to use the dark glyph or leave it for the next level (notice, however, that there are three levels without any glyph, whence it would be unsound to leave it for the third level).

Quote:
When you hit gold level... Would you level just one kind of monster to diamond leaving the others at silver? I'm quite confussing about how I will spend my CT.

Usually, at Gold level, you have other fish to fry. Either you look for Tamalir's reddition, in which case you should buy as many treachery as possible, or you foresee the need to go to the final dungeon, in which case you're busy upgrading your avatar (10 CT for +1 armor, 45 for +3 dice, and any specific upgrades, are probably more than you will win at Gold).

Quote:
How to spend the treachery points? It's better to get assap the crushing blow? Should it be a "must have" card? Because there are some 2 Green treachery cards very powerful, like the one that lets you activate 3 monsters at the start of a hero turn...

CB becomes necessary at some time during Copper, and that's about the time when you get treachery. There is always a weapon which will be your Nemesis (no-undying if you play Eldritch, Webbers if you play Humanoïds), or some item whose disappearance will cost dearly to the heroes (like the enhanced Robes, which might cost them other items when they disappear). There is also an immediate effect if you CB their panzer's armor.
If the heroes don't have Wind Pact, then use it on every outdoor encounter, and enjoy other cards indoors. If they have it, you'll need the CB card indoors too. One big advantage of CB is that there is always a good opportunity to use it before it gets WPed.

Ambush is indeed a great card, but what if it doesn't show ? You've lost both your treachery points for this dungeon. I'll always prefer CB and some other useful card - my preferred ones are Enraged, which might disrupt some careful plans, and Weakness, the right counter for the power pot-aim-fatigue combination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.