GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,367 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: ZOC question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Don, Welcome to the geek.
I am a tactical gamer so ZOCs do not play a part in my gaming. I did notice though that your post had no replies and looked like it was sinking into oblivion . I would therefore suggest you post this question into the game page of a particular game where it might get seen by more people who play these types of game. I suspect you may have a particular game in mind or at least queried this in a particular game. Sorry I couldn't help more but I hope you find your answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZOC rules differ, some are hard and some are soft.

With typical hard ZOCs, the first rule is --- if you enter a ZOC you stop.
Second typical rule with hard ZOCs - you cannot move from one ZOC to another. Yes this definitely includes the same unit - you can't "slide around" them, you have to fight them using the combat system if you want to move them or move past them. The whole point of rigid ZOC systems is to require *combat*, not just movement, to pass enemy forces. You must fight your way through.

Soft ZOC systems, on the other hand, typically allow some movement directly from ZOC to ZOC, but restrict it in some manner. The typical restrictions are - play extra movement cost to enter ZOCs, to leave ZOCs, or both; that only some units may move ZOC to ZOC (e.g. armor or motorized not leg infantry or towed artillery). Less typical is still requiring that a unit stop on entering ZOC, but can move ZOC to ZOC, which allows slower "worming through" the enemy line but not doing so rapidly.

A variant on soft ZOC systems is to allow overrun attacks, conducted during movement, that let strong forces move small enemies out of the way without waiting for the combat phase. Another variant on delaying effects is to allow retreat before combat, sometimes only to certain types of units (recon or cavalry e.g.).

But there isn't one hard and fast rule in such matters for all wargames. Different designs are at different unit scales, force mixes, and time scales, and choose to depict these things in different ways. What all of them are trying to capture is the necessity to fight to move through enemy positions, the ability of enemy positions to delay movement, and the like. With realistic variations in the ability to do those things, whether determined by movement allowances or unit types and their special cases in the rules, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In general - yes. But it really depends of each specific game. Tactical and strategic games usually have some differences.

The origin idea of ZOC is to reduce the number of counters. Imagine 6 (weaker) counters around the main counter, and you can`t do much wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hi Don,

This really is game specific, and should be clearly defined in the rules of the game, but if I can talk about it as a ’classic’ rule, then yes in both cases. If you move out of a ZOC the first hex entered must be ZOC free, then you can reenter any unit’s ZOC again. Blitzkrieg operates this way, for example.
This is not a hobby-wide standard by any means, though, and there are variations of it.
More modern games, for example, don’t allow ZOC to extend across rivers or into difficult terrain, such as mountains.

Do you have a specific game in mind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.